• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​

Federal Judge Denies Stay Request In Gun Transfer Case

[FONT=&quot]BELLEVUE, WA – A federal court in Texas has denied a government motion for a 60-day stay in a case involving interstate handgun transfers in which the judge applied strict scrutiny to determine whether a ban on such transfers meets constitutional muster.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The case, known as Mance v. Holder, was filed by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and is financially supported by the Second Amendment Foundation. It involves plaintiffs residing in Texas and the District of Columbia, and the ruling last month by U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor of the Northern District of Texas, Fort Worth Division, found that “the federal interstate handgun transfer ban is unconstitutional on its face.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The government had asked for a 60-day stay in order to decide whether to file an appeal. But Judge O’Connor ruled today that a stay is not warranted because the government could offer no other reasons for its request other than the court’s “inherent authority to manage its docket.”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“We’re delighted that Judge O’Connor is not going to simply allow the government to stall this ruling,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “This case could have significant ramifications nationwide, and allowing a two-month stay while the government essentially claims it will be thinking about whether to appeal obviously was not warranted.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CCRKBA and the individual plaintiffs are represented by Virginia attorney Alan Gura and Texas attorney William B. “Bill” Mateja of Fish & Richardson in Dallas.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation’s premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. The Citizens Committee can be reached by phone at (425) 454-4911, on the Internet at www.ccrkba.org or by email to InformationRequest@ccrkba.org.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]​
    <Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family>​
    Copyright © 2015 Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, All Rights Reserved.​
    [FONT=&quot]Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    James Madison Building
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Voice: 425-454-4911
    Toll Free: 800-426-4302
    FAX: 425-451-3959
    Email: InformationRequest@ccrkba.org[/FONT]​

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Hate to dig up an old one, but anyone have any updates on this one? This would obviously be huge for us DC residents if would could go to a VA FFL for a handgun purchase and avoid Mr. Sykes' $125 transfer fee.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    545661.jpg

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Hate to dig up an old one, but anyone have any updates on this one? This would obviously be huge for us DC residents if would could go to a VA FFL for a handgun purchase and avoid Mr. Sykes' $125 transfer fee.

The government filed a notice of appeal on April 10, 2015. Case is docketed in the Fifth Circuit as 15-10311. Record on appeal was transmitted to counsel in early June. The gov's brief (of appellant) is due in mid-July. And no, the decision of the district court and any decision of the court of appeals for the 5th Circuit would be only persuasive authority in the D.C. Circuit or the 4th Circuit. Still, it would be a case of great significance if plaintiff wins. Indeed one of the plaintiffs is a DC resident. The FFL is a Texas shop.

Attachments

• Mance.opinion.dct.interstatesaleshandguns.pdf
      206.8 KB · Views: 148

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This case was argued back in January, link here: http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/OralArgRecordings/15/15-10311_1-6-2016.MP3

Not sure which judges are on the panel. Also having a hard time figuring who'll win.

It is docket number 15-10311. Oral argument was before Judges Prado, Owen, Haynes, and I agree, it is a hard call. We have, perhaps, at least one judge favoring unconstitutional "as applied" rather than facially. Hard to read the other two. I don't think Judge Prado (the only male judge on the panel) said much. Judge Owen (Priscilla Owen) is pro-2A and she may have been the persistent questioner at argument. The other two judges (Judge Edward Prado and Judge Catharina Haynes) were on the panel that ruled against the NRA in NRA v. BATF where the issue on appeal concerned the constitutionality of 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(b)(1) and (c)(1), and attendant regulations, which prohibit federally licensed firearms dealers from selling handguns to persons under the age of 21.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    It is docket number 15-10311. Oral argument was before Judges Prado, Owen, Haynes, and I agree, it is a hard call. We have, perhaps, at least one judge favoring unconstitutional "as applied" rather than facially. Hard to read the other two. I don't think Judge Prado (the only male judge on the panel) said much. Judge Owen (Priscilla Owen) is pro-2A and she may have been the persistent questioner at argument. The other two judges (Judge Edward Prado and Judge Catharina Haynes) were on the panel that ruled against the NRA in NRA v. BATF where the issue on appeal concerned the constitutionality of 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(b)(1) and (c)(1), and attendant regulations, which prohibit federally licensed firearms dealers from selling handguns to persons under the age of 21.

Since Prado and Haynes ruled against the NRA in NRA v BATFE, I suspect it's much more likely than not that we'll lose this one, and on much the same grounds (such as "laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms", being "presumptively lawful", "must not trigger strict scrutiny"). In fact, they'll use NRA v BATFE as precedent for their decision here.

I will be quite surprised if we win this one.

SCOTUS will, of course, deny cert...

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    IIRC NRA v BATFe missed en banc by one vote? Maybe one will be swayed over rifles being sold across state lines without a problem and the full court could consider it.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    IIRC NRA v BATFe missed en banc by one vote? Maybe one will be swayed over rifles being sold across state lines without a problem and the full court could consider it.

Good memory, Kharn. KC, asking a court to invalidate a long standing federal statute is *always* hard. Judges just don't like doing that. If you listen to the argument in this case (Mance), you will hear judges trying to figure out whether the burden on plaintiffs is a big deal along with the underlying rationale of the federal law. I wish Gura well and, typical of Gura, I think he argued the case very well, but I have always thought this case was a long shot. That said, I think Gura is dead right on the merits, viz, there is no earthly reason that FFLs can't sell handguns across state lines just as they do with long guns in strict compliance with the law of the state of the residence. That may not be good enough to strike down a federal statute under which DC residents can, albeit with difficulty and extra cost, still procure a handgun. See Kwong. Given the panel, 2/1 win for the government on the as applied challenge, 3/0 on the facial challenge. I very much hope I'm wrong.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Good memory, Kharn. KC, asking a court to invalidate a long standing federal statute is *always* hard. Judges just don't like doing that. If you listen to the argument in this case (Mance), you will hear judges trying to figure out whether the burden on plaintiffs is a big deal along with the underlying rationale of the federal law. I wish Gura well and, typical of Gura, I think he argued the case very well, but I have always thought this case was a long shot. That said, I think Gura is dead right on the merits, viz, there is no earthly reason that FFLs can't sell handguns across state lines just as they do with long guns in strict compliance with the law of the state of the residence. That may not be good enough to strike down a federal statute under which DC residents can, albeit with difficulty and extra cost, still procure a handgun. See Kwong. Given the panel, 2/1 win for the government on the as applied challenge, 3/0 on the facial challenge. I very much hope I'm wrong.

Don't these laws only date to the 1960's (10 years or so before the DC ban went into effect)?
    As I understand it, the Federal law was in place only to keep individuals from skirting their state's gun laws. With the internet and state laws at your fingertips, seems this law is obsolete and only benefits shipping companies.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    esq does not mean long standing in the Heller usage of the word
    he just means the law has been on the books for awhile

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    esq does not mean long standing in the Heller usage of the word
    he just means the law has been on the books for awhile

The District Court disagreed of course:Defendants list the earliest known state residency restrictions on the purchase or possession of firearms, with the earliest of these restrictions occurring in 1909.[5] See Defs.' App. Supp. Mot. Summ. J. Ex. 2, App. at 103, ECF No. 17-1. Defendants have not presented, and the Court cannot find, any earlier evidence of longstanding interstate, geography-based, or residency-based firearm restrictions. The Court need not require "a precise founding-era analogue," but these early twentieth century state residency restrictions do not date back quite far enough to be considered longstanding.

I just don't see why the court can't send it back to Congress asking for a re-write. The technology has improved so much that the law's intended purpose can be obtained much more easily without a total ban. There's also the fact only a few states require anything other than a NICS check to take possession. The rest of the nation shouldn't suffer because a few states want to run their citizens through a bunch of hoops.

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    We're almost at 2 years since oral argument. My searches on this case (now likely Mance v. Sessions) doesn't show a published opinion.

If accurate, the 5th Circuit is taking an unusually long time on this case.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    my take will be that dealers still will not sell to out of staters for fear of suit by state prosecutors. just like all the threads on here now about this very thing happening with accessories.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    loss

read it and weep guys \

You were right KC we should have listened.

At least they applied strict scrutiny

Attachments

• mance v sessions.pdf
      255.6 KB · Views: 199

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads