• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    You know, the strategy considerations on this are really interesting. It is easy to see why petitioner sought (and received) two extensions: they want a 9 member court, especially after the election results. California is in a different position. They can ask for and easily get two extensions for their brief in opp. Of course, they don't want a 9 member court, precisely for the reasons you give (4-4 court unlikely to grant cert). But it takes only 4 to grant and that 4 might calculate that it will be a 9 member court by the time it goes to argument. A 4-4 split on a decision will affirm the 9th Circuit by equally divided vote (but it is not precedent). So, I tend to agree that the best approach for Cal. is to file the Op quickly. But that means that they really need to act quickly and that's hard for them as the cert. petition will likely be very good and it will be filed by Clement who is part of the elite SCT bar. Clement petitions are *always* read carefully and carry weight. And merely getting a quick op. filed may not help them much as the Court can easily simply relist the petition for as long as they want, and even carry it over to the next Term (unusual but it can happen). Indeed, if the 9th Justice is confirmed after argument, the most likely scenario is to reschedule the case for reargument next Term. So, if you are Cal, what do you do? I am guessing that they may opt for one extension simply because they won't be able to get the op. done in time. I expect that the President-elect will nominate a Justice very soon after after inauguration, probable well before an Op. is due. Who he nominates may play a role too, if only because it means that the Op. will have to be tailored for that reality. This will be fun to watch.

Reading the tea leaves in full amateur mode, I would assume there's got to be a nearly guaranteed 4-4 split right now. If 5 of the current justices are leaning opposed, cert gets denied because nobody on the court has an interest in delaying the inevitable due to the fact that Trump's presumably pro-2A SCOTUS appointment won't make a lick of difference. But if it's 4-4 today and you're leaning pro-2A, you enable every delay possible and necessary to ensure that new pro-2A justice is on the court providing the tie-breaker.

I'm presuming here that the justices follow the really big, contentious cases (not just 2A related) when it's obvious they're coming their way and that they form at least some opinions on those cases based upon facts established and arguments made during the journey through the lower courts. They can be "impartial jurists" all day, but they're human beings with views and interests and I can't imagine they lock themselves in a closet when it comes to big court battles inevitably reaching their desks. I choose to view this as a great sign for us and for the country.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This will really be interesting to see if the SC will grant cert. If it does grant cert then it will be very interesting to see how this plays out and im hoping that their will be a 9th scj who is very pro 2A. If and that is a big if the state of ca loses then how will it effect us here in MD since the SC rules that G&S is not allowed?

Master_P

May 27, 2015
    I really like the swipe at the 9th Circus at the end of the cert petition. Very nice!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Believe the Sheriff has already washed his hands of this, it is all in the CA Atty General's court.

CA can't argue their mumbo jumbo now of it not being CA Statute, rather County discretion any more. CA9 has set the table (no concealed carry) so tie that ruling alongside CA Statute (no open carry). The Petition does this nicely. The overall scheme is prohibitive.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Isn't there also a new CA AG, since Harris is now in the US Congress? I'm sure whoever replaces her is still just as big an anti, it is Kommiefornia after all, but maybe inexperienced and ineffective enough to not be able to provide effective resistance to the US Consrtitution. Just a thought.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Isn't there also a new CA AG, since Harris is now in the US Congress? I'm sure whoever replaces her is still just as big an anti, it is Kommiefornia after all, but maybe inexperienced and ineffective enough to not be able to provide effective resistance to the US Consrtitution. Just a thought.

The actual named state AG won't be the one representing in this case. Just as likely as Frosh going into court as MD AG...whichever Lawyer was arguing for CA at CA9 would likely continue on I believe.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Reading the tea leaves in full amateur mode, I would assume there's got to be a nearly guaranteed 4-4 split right now. If 5 of the current justices are leaning opposed, cert gets denied because nobody on the court has an interest in delaying the inevitable due to the fact that Trump's presumably pro-2A SCOTUS appointment won't make a lick of difference. But if it's 4-4 today and you're leaning pro-2A, you enable every delay possible and necessary to ensure that new pro-2A justice is on the court providing the tie-breaker.

I'm presuming here that the justices follow the really big, contentious cases (not just 2A related) when it's obvious they're coming their way and that they form at least some opinions on those cases based upon facts established and arguments made during the journey through the lower courts. They can be "impartial jurists" all day, but they're human beings with views and interests and I can't imagine they lock themselves in a closet when it comes to big court battles inevitably reaching their desks. I choose to view this as a great sign for us and for the country.

I am not sure your assumption obtains. How a case was litigated below is not necessarily how the case will be presented to the SCT on a petition for cert. If it is not in the petition, an argument is waived. It thus makes not a lot of sense, institutionally, for Justices to anticipate cases. Moreover, cases, especially big cases, get settled or dropped all the time. The SCT docket is enormous (not the cert granted cases, but in toto) so there is a time premium.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Powerful language and a forceful challenge to the court. May it get 4 votes for review and 6 for a win . . . just after two favorable SCOTUS confirmations. ;)

"...Only this Court’s review can bring clarity to the law.
    Absent that review, millions of individuals will be forced to continue to live under legal regimes in which they are denied any outlet to exercise what courts have repeatedly purported to assume is a fundamental constitutional right, while who knows how many other jurisdictions will be emboldened to adopt the same rights-denying approach. If it is indeed to be the law of the nation that ordinary, law- abiding individuals may be flatly deprived of the ability to carry handguns outside the home for self- defense, then at least this Court should be the one to say so."

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Norman could also play a role if the FL Supremes effectively affirm the lower court's ruling, thus creating a clear split with CA9 and a state supreme court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom