Will I be denied a firearms based off of an involuntary commitment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SillySauce

Sep 30, 2016
    This may be a difficult question.

When I was 14 I stayed 8 days at Sheppard Pratt. It had nothing to do with mental illness. The juvenile section was for a max 5-8 day stay for behavior incidents. I have never been arrested, nor have I had the police called on me for any reason. I am now 25.

Will I have to contact a doctor and prove that I am mentally fit to own a gun? (that is one option that I read) Or can I get this easily be expunged somehow?

Being a minor at the time, and being that my parents committed me, I am thinking that this may be considered voluntary commitment by law. I read that only 30 or more days of voluntary commitment in MD forbids you from owning a gun.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Federally, no.

MD state, that depends.

For MD it depends on what kind of firearm you are trying to buy. If you are trying to buy a handgun, that may pose issues, that I will leave to a more knowledgeable member. If you are trying to buy a shotgun, semi-auto rifle, bolt action rifle, or lever action rifle, you should be ok, because MD does not require a 77R for those. For the firearms that do not require a 77R, you do the standard BATFE Form 4473 and do your NICS check. If you pass, you pass. If you don't pass, you can call and ask why.

You also need to look at if it is considered involuntary commitment. That would be the path I would head towards for this, since you were involuntarily committed as a minor.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD statute says voluntary commitment more than 30 days prohibits you or an involuntary commitment of any length.

according to the definitions-include an admission to a facility, not necessarily a committment by a court.

IANAL

See statutes 5-133.2 and 10-101

Last edited:

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    The MD statute says voluntary commitment more than 30 days prohibits you or an involuntary commitment of any length.

according to the definitions-a commitment is any admission to a facilty, not necessarily by a court.

IANAL

See statutes 5-133.1 and 10-101

This is the actual situation. I disagree that those that state if you pass a NICS check, you are good to go. Based upon what has been stated, I believe you are a prohibited person. Not what you wanted to hear, but I BELIEVE this is the case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    an involuntary commitment of any length makes you prohibited..the definition of commitment includes any admission to a facility the way I read it.

sorry.

as I said, contact an attorney.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Did you sign anything prior to being admitted? If so, find out what it was. They will offer to have you sign a voluntary commitment form even thought you are going in no matter what. If you signed it, it was voluntary, if not, it was not.
    IANAL or Dr, but I have experience in this with a family member who has done a couple stays there.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Did you sign anything prior to being admitted? If so, find out what it was. They will offer to have you sign a voluntary commitment form even thought you are going in no matter what. If you signed it, it was voluntary, if not, it was not.
    IANAL or Dr, but I have experience in this with a family member who has done a couple stays there.

He was a minor. His parents probably had to sign.

SillySauce

Sep 30, 2016
    Only 1 way to find out if it's an issue.

That's exactly right.

He was a minor. His parents probably had to sign.

Yeah, my mom had to sign a paper when I got there. This is what leads me to believe that this is considered voluntary commitment under the law, since I was minor. I'm sure the paper had "voluntary" on it.

I will now be checking with some lawyers on subreddit on reddit. (Didn't think of that earlier)

No, I didnt sign anything.

unimogger

Mar 11, 2012
    Baltimore County
    It sounds like a hospitalization for evaluation (and one might infer from the [only] eight day stay that it resulted in a determination he was not a danger to himself or others) . . . Without a court order for treatment or an informed consent for treatment (not possible at 14 years of age) was that a commitment?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Talk to a lawyer to be sure, but the legal definition of an involuntary commitment involves a court order, a doctor cannot do it alone. Same with "adjudicated mentally defective or unable to manage your own affairs", a court ordered evaluation isn't neccesarily an involuntary commitment either. Thankfully the bar is set fairly high, court order, usually the result of an arrest, crime, and plead of incompetent to stand trial, or a judicial hearing with a medical board in front of a judge that results in an arrest. 8 days with no warrant or court appearance all but guarantees it was "voluntary".
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=10.21.01.*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom