• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have a question for the rifle builders here. Back in January I assembled my first AR-15 with parts I had been collecting for about a year. I have not fired it yet and I have a question about headspace.

Using the Forster 5.56 NATO gauges I am having some problems. The chamber wont close on the MIN gauge as I understand it is supposed to. Obviously it wont close on the MAX either, but that is a good thing.
    I can chamber live rounds just fine (Federal, American Eagle, PMC) but have not fired it yet.

The rifle was assembled by me using striped LRB upper and lower receivers. I torqued the barrel nut to spec per the JP enterprises full float hanguard instructions.The barrel is a 5.56 chambered black hole weaponry barrel from one of the group buys and the BCG is a WMD Nib.

Should I be concerned about the apparent too little headspace?

MyAR.jpg

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    To get the true reading, you need to pull the extractor/ejector off the bolt, and then ride the bolt/carrier closed by hand. Allowing the Bolt to snap/slam closed using the recoil spring is not the way to use the gauges.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    To get the true reading, you need to pull the extractor/ejector off the bolt

I see some old timers say this but is doesn't make any sense to me. If you put the gauge in the chamber first, then yes the extractor needs to be removed as it wont ride over the lip (extractor will likely hit the chamber wall first.) But if you hook the gauge under the extractor and hold it straight (the ejection pin may want to tilt it a little) as you gently slide the bolt closed all is good. The extractor doesn't interfere w/ the datum line or bolt face and wont affect the test. I've got about a dozen Manson gauges and they work fine w/ the extractors in place. Now, I'm SURE there are rifle designs that are exceptions but the ones I've tested (AR10/15, SKSs, VZ58, etc) the extractor can't possibly press on the bolt face of the round. Its smooth on the side and just not mechanically possible. It is probably a good idea to press the ejection pin in to verify it will go below the bolt face. A 'long' or stuck one of those can affect the reading. But the engineer in me calls BS on needing to remove the extractor on many (maybe not all) firearms. A TINY bit of carbon on the shoulder, rim (if not rimless), or bolt will cause 100x more problems. The chamber needs to be oil free and cleaned w/ a lint free wipe. Oil/lint easily exceed the tolerances you're looking to test.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you go to the Brownells site and view the videos for headspacing, they say to remove "ejector". Nothing is said about removing extractor.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    I did remove the ejector spring but not the extractor. I will try it again and I will also try a spare BCG I got from JoeBob. I don't have another rifle to test the gauges on though.
    What are the ramifications of having less than optimal head space? I understand too much is really bad, but too little? It does chamber rounds without any fuss.
    Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom