• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    :D awesome, I think Frederick might be closer to me than Carroll county?

Do I need to find some ammo to shoot yours?

That would be my treat. Only thing I'd ask you to pay for would be after sitting thru their safety talk there's a one time $10 fee for new shooters.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Whatever you do, if you don't already have a self defense gun, get one now. Don't agonize over whether it's the right choice or not. It's better to have one. Once you do, you can always change your mind and sell it after you replace it with your next 'ideal gun'.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I'm going to also chime in about the S&W Model 64. I picked one up on a MDS group buy for dirt cheap and love the thing.
    The only problem is my wife loves it more and has claimed it as her own.

Looks like you can't pull the hammer back on the s&w 64 from pictures I just seen. How's the trigger on it? Every revolver ive shot has had very heavy feeling trigger pulls when I didn't pull the hammer back before each shot.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Looks like you can't pull the hammer back on the s&w 64 from pictures I just seen. How's the trigger on it? Every revolver ive shot has had very heavy feeling trigger pulls when I didn't pull the hammer back before each shot.

Pretty much all revolvers have a heavy double action trigger (if they are DA). Some are heavier than others, but they are all heavy. You can lighten them up somewhat by changing the spring, but the downside is (potentially) a light primer strike and loss of reliability.

Dry fire practice helps a lot with this. Also, some people learn to shoot in single action much more quickly.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Whatever you do, if you don't already have a self defense gun, get one now. Don't agonize over whether it's the right choice or not. It's better to have one. Once you do, you can always change your mind and sell it after you replace it with your next 'ideal gun'.

No doubt about that, but I have a good amount of firepower for self defense :), just never owned a revolver.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    You are correct. Here's a good, short, explanation.
    http://www.diffen.com/difference/Single_Action_vs_Double_Action

Got it.

Well I suppose as long as the actual trigger isn't very skinny one could get used too pulling a heavy trigger without it digging into the finger making it uncomfortable. I recall one.revolver I shot had the heavy trigger but the feel of.the actual trigger didn't make it uncomfortable like the other which felt like it was digging in my finger when pulling. I assume it was just the size or shape of the trigger.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Pretty much all revolvers have a heavy double action trigger (if they are DA). Some are heavier than others, but they are all heavy. You can lighten them up somewhat by changing the spring, but the downside is (potentially) a light primer strike and loss of reliability.

Dry fire practice helps a lot with this. Also, some people learn to shoot in single action much more quickly.

Wouldnt want to go messing with it's reliability, however can't you change the actual triggers? Not the function of the trigger assembly but the size shape etc? I would like a wider trigger

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    If you click 'multi quote' on 2 or more posts, and then click 'quote' after choosing all the posts you want to include, you can multi quote instead of making post after post after post.

multi quote.JPG

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wouldnt want to go messing with it's reliability, however can't you change the actual triggers? Not the function of the trigger assembly but the size shape etc? I would like a wider trigger

Maybe, but none of that affects trigger pull weight in double action mode. And, by the time you do change the trigger, just spend more money for the gun you want. A custom trigger assembly might go for $120.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    That Ruger GP100 has a wide looking trigger so maybe your right.

I wasn't really looking to lighten the pull, just make it more comfortable with a wider trigger like the gp100 has

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am not sure which range you will be visiting but I know one of them in Frederick has a GP100 .357 you can rent.

Have a party, try em all. It'll save you money and regret down the line to try one first. been there, done that. GP100 is a good gun, but as others have said... revolvers do take some getting used to. But they are like Pringles, once hooked you cannot have just one =)

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    After doing some research via watching tnoutdoors on YouTube he test all the top 38 self defense rounds and the 357 self defense loads and the damage is not even close. Some of the 38s looked like regular FMJs passing through the block and the 357s were just total devastation lol. Confirms my thinking of the 357 being the perfect revolver and his shots were coming from a 3inch barrel.
    https://youtu.be/KxXTNzpBcvM
    https://youtu.be/gO9CNI8qV2I
    https://youtu.be/vjAzt-yO3e0
    https://youtu.be/iqS3ixj-NtQ

The 38+p are good andbi doubt anybody wants to be hit by one but im figuring if ive got only 6 shots I just want the round that's doing the most damage inside a potential threat. And from a 4 inch barrel I think recoil should be okay.

I am also considering the GP100 4inch now.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    An old S&W Model 10 has the sweetest trigger of any of my revolvers. I like the heavy barrel model. Buffalo Bore makes some nice anti-personnel rounds in .38spl; hot loads and low flash. A 357 is nice, but you can suffer on followup shots, and the flash can ruin your night vision for a little while.

Did I mention a nice used one will not break the bank?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Firstly one of your thought processes is backwards. If you try to start a revolver virgin with a crappy trigger pull, they will quickly loose interest. A smooth trigger pull will let them apprecate the possibilities of the platform.

We frequently mention used S&Ws , there is a reason beyond price . One with some mileage on it, particularly a former LE/ Correction/ Security Agency gun , will have the equivalent of an organic action job , with the internals having been smoothed from use .

A DA trigger pull is supposed to be 10-12 lb . What makes for a good trigger is smoothness and consistancy. Smoothness over the length of the pull, consistency over the length of the pull, and consistency from chamber to chamber.

You don't want a wide trigger, for a gun actually used for DA ( various ergonomic reasons ). A narrow and smooth trigger is best, S&W has a "Combat" trigger that is slightly wide, about as wide as you can go, and still be decent for DA .

Yes , TNOutdoor9 is a good source of gel testing info . But even with excellent data , you still need to place the .38+P vs .357 issue into context of control and shoot ability.

Newer / less experienced shooters will not be able to effectively handle full power .357 ammo other than slow fire . The more relevant comparison will be between. "Medium" .357 loads, and the top performing +P and +P+.38 loads . Without bogging down in minutiae , those are closely comparable if not overlapping.

You've got my number , text me to work out a time to meet at one of our nearby-ish ranges with a variety of revolvers that would be of interest for you (plural) to try .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    oh get over it.

Get one.

My first revolver....

Attachments

• swes500.jpg
      swes500.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 344

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Firstly one of your thought processes is backwards. If you try to start a revolver virgin with a crappy trigger pull, they will quickly loose interest. A smooth trigger pull will let them apprecate the possibilities of the platform.

We frequently mention used S&Ws , there is a reason beyond price . One with some mileage on it, particularly a former LE/ Correction/ Security Agency gun , will have the equivalent of an organic action job , with the internals having been smoothed from use .

A DA trigger pull is supposed to be 10-12 lb . What makes for a good trigger is smoothness and consistancy. Smoothness over the length of the pull, consistency over the length of the pull, and consistency from chamber to chamber.

You don't want a wide trigger, for a gun actually used for DA ( various ergonomic reasons ). A narrow and smooth trigger is best, S&W has a "Combat" trigger that is slightly wide, about as wide as you can go, and still be decent for DA .

Yes , TNOutdoor9 is a good source of gel testing info . But even with excellent data , you still need to place the .38+P vs .357 issue into context of control and shoot ability.

Newer / less experienced shooters will not be able to effectively handle full power .357 ammo other than slow fire . The more relevant comparison will be between. "Medium" .357 loads, and the top performing +P and +P+.38 loads . Without bogging down in minutiae , those are closely comparable if not overlapping.

You've got my number , text me to work out a time to meet at one of our nearby-ish ranges with a variety of revolvers that would be of interest for you (plural) to try .

I shot you a message this afternoon. Maybe you've gotten a new #, I assumed it was still the same # as the one you sent the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom