• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I'm in Montgomery county and was thinking of having a yard sale later this year. It won't be your "typical" yard sale as I'll have a lot of jewelry and collectibles that should bring in a good bit of money. When I've done this in the past I've always kept things like a steel pipe, bat, or knife handy just in case of trouble. Unfortunately I've had some health issues which have weakened me significantly so I'm wondering.......Can I legally have a concealed pistol on me as long as I stay on my property ?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On your own property yes, just don't step a foot off your property with it, even to a neighbor who is fine with your carrying a handgun on their property.

Also reminder, in Maryland you can't shoot someone to defend your property, only your life or someone else's life. So you could draw on someone stealing your stuff, but the best you can do is look really scary with a loaded gun unless they were obviously about to attack you or pulled some kind of weapon on you.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    In balt county, the sidewalks are considered county property, so keep that keep that in mind. Not sure about MoCo.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    As others have stated, on your property is fine, but make sure you know exactly where your property line is

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    come out of the closet and open carry!

The local denizens and the constabulary should make that interesting!!!

Considering the opinions I got regarding open carry of a rifle I think I'll leave that to someone with more money and time than I have. And seeing as I live on a major road 1/2 mile from a station it wouldn't take long before I'd be having a chat with the local leo's. I've seen 5-8 squad cars show up for just a traffic accident so I can't even imagine what they'd do for a "man with a gun" call.

Now if people wanted to come over and have a gun cleaning get together in my front yard that might be interesting.........
    "15 guys with guns", they'd probably shut down the city.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    On your own property yes, just don't step a foot off your property with it, even to a neighbor who is fine with your carrying a handgun on their property.

Also reminder, in Maryland you can't shoot someone to defend your property, only your life or someone else's life. So you could draw on someone stealing your stuff, but the best you can do is look really scary with a loaded gun unless they were obviously about to attack you or pulled some kind of weapon on you.

In balt county, the sidewalks are considered county property, so keep that keep that in mind. Not sure about MoCo.

As others have stated, on your property is fine, but make sure you know exactly where your property line is

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep. I've thought about that. Certainly wouldn't be helping anybody load their car on the street. At least not without a trip inside first

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Considering the opinions I got regarding open carry of a rifle I think I'll leave that to someone with more money and time than I have.

Who said open carry a rifle?

Anyway, its all fun and games until your 686+ prints through your t-shirt.

If you want some serious confusion, wear this too:

Attachments

• images(16).jpg
      images(16).jpg
      5.5 KB · Views: 1,101

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Who said open carry a rifle?

You said "come out of the closet and open carry!"

I know you were jesting but my point was.........If I'm not going to open carry a rifle which is legal even if not on my property, due to the pain that would likely rain down on me, I'm certainly not going to open carry a handgun (even if legal) next to a main road, even if on my property.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    CC=......CONCEALED carry......just sayin....

Don't see it, don't know bout it.......it ain't there.

Understood.

I just want to be sure that if anything else happens where I happen to come into contact with law enforcement I'm not breaking the law.

And yes, I know one of the first things I would need to do is point my arms at least somewhat skyward and say something like "just so you know......"

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    in Monkey Cnty the sidewalk is public property but you have to take care of it means shovel the white stuff aka snow, mow the grass between the sidewalk and the curb as well. In most cases your property end at the last blade of grass right before the sidewalk. If you have a sidewalk for them to walk on to your porch or front door then that is your property which starts at the grass line of your property. I am not a lawyer but that is what I was told by a Monkey Cnty building inspector and the local LEO's. They also told me because I asked about that before I moved into an apartment that it would be better to conceal carry then open because they would get tons of phone calls about a man with a gun. They could also say if I was causing enough of a disturbance just by having a gun in open carry and people are afraid of them I could be arrested and charged with disturbing the peace even tho i was on my own property. they know it would be dropped in court but they have to appear at least they are doing something to quiet the neighbors down .

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    in Monkey Cnty the sidewalk is public property but you have to take care of it means shovel the white stuff aka snow, mow the grass between the sidewalk and the curb as well. In most cases your property end at the last blade of grass right before the sidewalk. If you have a sidewalk for them to walk on to your porch or front door then that is your property which starts at the grass line of your property. I am not a lawyer but that is what I was told by a Monkey Cnty building inspector and the local LEO's. They also told me because I asked about that before I moved into an apartment that it would be better to conceal carry then open because they would get tons of phone calls about a man with a gun. They could also say if I was causing enough of a disturbance just by having a gun in open carry and people are afraid of them I could be arrested and charged with disturbing the peace even tho i was on my own property. they know it would be dropped in court but they have to appear at least they are doing something to quiet the neighbors down .

If my property ends at the sidewalk then why am I paying taxes through the sidewalk and up to the curb? If I am paying taxes on it, real estate, then I own it. The public has a right of way through my property on the sidewalk. Step on inch off the sidewalk and you are trespassing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If my property ends at the sidewalk then why am I paying taxes through the sidewalk and up to the curb? If I am paying taxes on it, real estate, then I own it. The public has a right of way through my property on the sidewalk. Step on inch off the sidewalk and you are trespassing.

It is an easement. You own the dirt under the sidewalk, but the sidewalk itself is city propert. BGE runs lines through your property and they get an easement. Easement says the property owner is limited in what they can do with their property (easy now :lol2:).

I would not want to try to fight something in court of you doing something "on county property" that is on your real estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom