• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm through with the Summit Brand tree stands. Climbing down the other day and the foot section cable came undone. Left me dangling 12 feet up, and by some miracle, I made it down. This is the second time in a span of a few years this has happened to me. Thankfully it was not the upper portion that came undone/broke. I am in the market for a new climber, but not the "quick trigger" system that Summit uses.

Anyone have experience with other brands? I'm looking at the Lone Wolf stands, but they are pricey. Dicks doesn't have much of a selection and I haven't thought of driving to Cabela's yet. I like lightweight and would prefer to have a fold flat design. I know the old adage, buy once.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I loved my API. Easiest climber I've ever owned. I have a Summit now and it doesn't compare. Only reason I use it is it is 10 lbs lighter.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have always been partial to ladder stands for this very reason. I have never seen need to get any higher than 12 feet anyway. YMMV

Taking a ladder stand on public or others land is a PITA. Climbers are not as likely to get stolen either.

All three types, fixed, ladder, and climber have their place.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Taking a ladder stand on public or others land is a PITA. Climbers are not as likely to get stolen either.

All three types, fixed, ladder, and climber have their place.

I agree, all three types have their place. Love having the "fixed" position lock on, but sometimes I am in need of the mobility of a climber. At somepoint, I'm going to get too old for a climber.

Thanks for the other brand suggestions, I'll look into them as well.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I always tied the two sections together for that reason. Haven't used a climber in years but had Summits in the past. I wasn't a fan of the way they did there cables back then.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Did the cable break or slip out. I'm using a summit viper so I'm curious.

The cable slipped out out the "locking" channel area. I was on the way down, sat down and as soon as I took pressure off the foot section, the cable came out. Somehow my feet stayed wedged in and I managed to add a second strap to the two sections. Using a strap attached on each side, I had to take my feet out, managed to reach the cable around the tree and get it attached back correctly. All the while balancing on the upper section bar.

I think the curved spring which keeps the cable snug and locked somehow allowed the cable to loosen and slide out. Scary scenario for sure.

I'm not using this thing again, anyone want it for parts?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't see how that can happen, but I don't care for Summits, even though I'm using one now. I don't like Lone Wolf type 'bands'. Just never trusted them. I love the motorcycle chains on the APIs. They are bomb proof.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Glad you made it down okay. I'm never 100% comfortable in any climber but Summits are the most comfortable for me. Thanks for posting this - I'll make sure to check the locking springs on mine from now on.
    Oh...I also check the cable itself. Mine have held up well but I've heard that they can rust out at the lugs and break.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    All are a mile ahead of the old Baker style.
    Years ago, I had a homemade one, plywood base and old seatbelt and fender washers for foot straps.
    No seat or climber, just hug the tree and climb.

Got about 15 or 18' up a pine when stand slipped off my feet and to the ground it went.
    I held fast for about 30 or 40 seconds and then slowly, and painfuly started sliding down.
    Shirt rode up and forearms , stomach, and chest looked like someone took a cheesegrater to me by the time I hit the ground.
    Think I still have one of my nipples stuck to that tree.

Bought a NIB Lone Wolf about 15-18 years ago off ebay for $ 200. Need to update top half as early ones are a PIA and uncomfortable but better than what I had.

City Rat

Aug 12, 2015
    MD
    Man, I was just looking at Summit Vipers based on consistent recommendations from members of my hunt club. I will really look a lot harder at the cables and their attachment points now.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Man, I was just looking at Summit Vipers based on consistent recommendations from members of my hunt club. I will really look a lot harder at the cables and their attachment points now.

I'm not discrediting Summit, this may be an isolated occurrence. I've used this stand for close to 5 years with no issues, and gone up a hundred trees. As I and another has mentioned, check the spring which keeps the cable in place. Make sure it's still tight and not bent or weak.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I upgraded to a Lone Wolf this year and like it. It's not nearly as comfortable as my "Cadillac" APC Commander tree stand, but it weighs about half as much and is significantly quieter. It's really light and once you get used to the procedure, climbing is easy. Whatever you get, make sure you add on a cup holder. Nothing worse than a tree stand with no place for your water bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom