• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Really appreciate the kind wishes and thoughts. Am an old Arrrrr-my guy, myself,
    but I want to compliment the Lackland folks - the AF really did a great job down here.
    The Military Training Instructors (MTIs) were particularly impressive
    folks...as in the other services, the staff NCO's are the very vital backbone that everything else builds on.

While I have deep concerns for the
    direction of our country just now, I have to say our air component seems to be in good
    hands.

And, oh, to be 17 again...

Congrats!

Congrats to your son! Hard to believe it's already been five years for me already. :D

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=65600

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69724

Very cool.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    We are really proud of our son, and delighted to be part of the greater Air
    Force Family. It is an amazing
    community I never knew much about.
    What a great adventure!

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Congrats to your son. I joined the Army after high school (started BCT at Ft. Jackson SC in Oct 1989). In hindsight, I probably would have been better off had I joined the Air Force (the AF or Coast Guard would have been a better fit, I suspect I'd still be in if I went with those options).

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Chaim
    You said you did your basic at Ft. Jackson. Were you on Tank Hill or Hollywood? Do you remember Drag A** Hill?

I don't remember Hollywood (were those what my company called the "star ships"). I remember quite a few runs up Tank Hill, but I didn't live there. During Basic, I was in those rectangle, brick, 1960's (ish) vintage barracks. Drag *** Hill, wasn't that another of the Drill Sergeants' favorite running spots? :D

C Co, 3/61 "Mighty Raiders"'. Fun story... Near the end of BCT I had KP duty. One of the women in one of the female companies (they were gender segregated in 1989/1990) had her friend tell me she wanted to meet me and to go to the Protestant Services that Sunday and that I should volunteer to sing in the choir so we could meet. The Drill Sergeants must have caught wind of it (probably told by my assigned buddy, he HATED me because I was Jewish and from the East Coast, he was a self professed neo-Nazi) because I got assigned KP again that Sunday (and it was the only time anyone in my platoon, and I think the only time anyone in my company, got KP twice in one week).

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Chaim.
    I was at the reception barracks for a week instead of the 3 or 4 days before you are moved to start your training. I was in D-5-1-3 in the wooden barracks on Tank Hill. At the top of the Hill where I was at was a large tall standing water tank.We called the brick barracks "hollywood" because they were so much nicer then the wooden barracks we were in. Exodus was coming up and instead of being their for 9 weeks we were their for 6 1/2 weeks. They compressed training into that time frame because they did not want to send us home on Christmas leave and then come back forgetting everything we had learned. Our super bowl was only 2 days instead of the 3 to 5 days. Instead of bivouac training for a week we were their only 3 days. Also instead of having sunday off we only had time to go to church then back at it again. One of the favorite things the DI's liked to do was pick a spot about 6 paces from the street coming out of chow hall ,if you could call it that, and if you did not say Good Morning Sergeant they would order you to drop and give him 25 to 40 push ups. Yep I remember Ft Jackson. Did you guys ever have a "volksmarch" their on base?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom