• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :lol:

I've got a mental image of a wall lined with mounted heads of deer, elk and now city rats......

My friend really wants to take one of each type of squirrel in Maryland and get them all mounted on his wall (of course can't for now cause no go on the Delmarva squirrel).

I feel like it is only legit if you tie tiny antlers to their heads

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never said they were *City* rats. Barn rats, grain fattened, with leather tack for dessert.

When you have to look twice to determine if a rat or muskrat, they're trophy sized. Two cell phones ago, I had several pic posing with them.

Rats this size aren't even slowed by .22WMR shotshells, unless you get a lucky hit to brain. .45Colt stops them in less than one human step. Max range is diagonally across 10x12 stall, with a long arm extended around corner.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Durn if it aint.

I usually never know. If you look at MDS using "new posts" , the subforum is not shown.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    CCI makes snake shot in .22LR. Just checked their site to confirm they still do

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0039

Indeed they do, I used .38 special CCI "snake charmers" in a Ruger .357 Blackhawk with 4 1/2" barrel to dispatch an angry 6 foot long Western Diamondback Rattlesnake in the Superstition Wilderness (Arizona) many years ago. Two shots did the trick, it's very effective stuff at close range. I still have an 8x10 photo of that bad boy draped across a stick I'm holding, deader than a doornail.

BTW, I've heard that Baltimore Wharf rats are the largest anywhere, some as large as fully grown house cats... :D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Indeed they do, I used .38 special CCI "snake charmers" in a Ruger .357 Blackhawk with 4 1/2" barrel to dispatch an angry 6 foot long Western Diamondback Rattlesnake in the Superstition Wilderness (Arizona) many years ago. Two shots did the trick, it's very effective stuff at close range. I still have an 8x10 photo of that bad boy draped across a stick I'm holding, deader than a doornail.

BTW, I've heard that Baltimore Wharf rats are the largest anywhere, some as large as fully grown house cats... :D

The DC rats are the largest. Especially the ones scurrying around the Capitol building.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    As for the original question...first IANAL and all that...

When I first got into shooting (16 or 17 years ago) I had some conversations with the MDSP instead of trusting gun store rumors (there weren't any MD specific gun forums then). I actually called the firearms division at the local barracks several times. One of my questions was about carrying a gun while in the yard.

I was told that it was legal to carry a gun in MD on your own property, concealed or not, though he highly recommended carrying concealed. I lived in Columbia, and he suggested that, while it would be legal, there would be a high probability of being questioned by local police who may or may not know that it is legal if one open carried on their own property. Best case, you deal with some hassle. Worst case, you spend the night in jail, but you'll likely not be charged with anything since you didn't break the law.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Snake shot, even from a .22, can be a beautiful thing. Aim for the head. And yes, carry concealed if you can.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As for the original question...first IANAL and all that...

When I first got into shooting (16 or 17 years ago) I had some conversations with the MDSP instead of trusting gun store rumors (there weren't any MD specific gun forums then). I actually called the firearms division at the local barracks several times. One of my questions was about carrying a gun while in the yard.

I was told that it was legal to carry a gun in MD on your own property, concealed or not, though he highly recommended carrying concealed. I lived in Columbia, and he suggested that, while it would be legal, there would be a high probability of being questioned by local police who may or may not know that it is legal if one open carried on their own property. Best case, you deal with some hassle. Worst case, you spend the night in jail, but you'll likely not be charged with anything since you didn't break the law.

Yeah, as many have mentioned legal either way. Also as mentioned, it won't keep you from being hassled. That said, if you live someone rural I really doubt anyone is going to call the cops if you are open carrying on your property. 1 if a big property they aren't likely to see it/you and 2 not as unexpected. The bigger the property the more that applies.

Only time I open carry on my property is basically carrying something to my car if not in my garage or over to my neighbors if we are going shooting together (I guess mostly then they are cased).

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    All good stuff!

Discretion in all ways is a good thing.

I appreciate the information and
    solid advice.

This forum is really useful...thanks
    to you all.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I think the good ol' boys down here wouldn't give ya much hassle. I've shot and heard lots of shots living here and never had any trouble. The sheriff is 2A guy if I'm not mistaken. I really need to ask him one of these Sundays...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom