• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I have had a Weatherby vanguard rifle in 30-06, for several years now. I won the rifle at a gun raffle. This past weekend was the first time I ever shot it. Wow, am I impressed. Kind of kicking myself for letting it sit in the safe this long without being shot. Very accurate, nice trigger, I love it. Anyone else out there a fan of the weatherby vanguard rifles?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Sure.

Mostly.

Though it's much easier to be a Vanguard fan if you haven't shot or owned a Mark V...

Mark V late sixties...German...300 WM...Armalloyed...custom stock...glass bedded...Zeiss Conquest 3-14. Things she hits don't go very far.

Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I think I'm going to become a fan.

I came across one of the Vanguards that Cabelas sells. It was in a used gun rack in PA. It has a beautifully figured and lazer engraved walnut stock similar to the Mark V. Action is the Vanguard action made by Howa of Japan. Has a 24 inch barrel and the bluing on that rifle is as good or better than any rifle I own. It appeared to me that it was likely originally purchased by someone who made it a safe queen, and then perhaps decided they didn't need another safe Queen. It didn't have a mark on it, and I couldn't find any indication whatsoever that the rifle had ever been fired. Didn't really need another .30-06 but I liked it so much I bought it anyway.

The rifle has a two stage trigger, which I'm not used to and was a first for me, but the break is clean and just right for a hunting rifle IMO. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. As today's factory triggers go, it's better than most. It shot just over MOA with Federal 165 grain, and I only put a box through the rifle. I'm pretty certain it can do better once I work with it more and find a good handload for it.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I've always liked Weatherbys and own a circa 1972 Mark V Varmintmaster (Japanese) in .22-250. The thing is gorgeous and shoots great.

I used to dream of having a .257 Wby but after doing some research found out it was the poster child for an "overbore" cartridge and kicked like a mule, so I got .25-06 instead. I like Weatherby actions but don't like the double radius cartridge, so I don't think I'd ever own one chambered in anything other than a standard cartridge.

I think the Vanguard series is a good bang for the buck with the sub-moa guarantee, adjustable trigger and 24" barrel. I almost bought one in .243 but got a better tax return than expected, so I ordered a Cooper instead.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've had a VGR for 25 years. 30-06. Great rifle. It was my western Md. deer rifle. Beautiful blueing on it in a high gloss Monte Carlo stock.:thumbsup:

Duck

Apr 11, 2012
    Baltimore
    Mark V in 300 WM. topped with a Leopold 3x10
    V3. Its one of my favorite rifles. My next one will be the 257 wm vanguard.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I have a Vanguard Series 2 Sporter in 7mm-08. It's not as good looking as the Mark V's, but still a damn fine looking rifle. It always draws comments at the range. And, it shoots pretty well too! Sub MOA on 3 rounds almost always, sub MOA on 5 rounds .... once in a blue moon. But, that's most likely on me, not the rifle.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Aren't Vanguards made by Howa?

Yes, but they are very sweet, especially for the price. They have a reputation of being sub-MOA right out of the box even with the Nikko Sterling scopes and sporter barrels on them. I built a true Howa 1500 into a LR .308. Weatherby won't sell junk even at the lower end of their lines. Yes its not a Mark V but hardly anything else is either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom