• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I inherited a Remington Nylon 66 from my oldest brother.

It is the green one, I think the color is called Seneca or Sequoia if my memory serves me.

A friend of mine told me that that particular model is rather rare.

Does anyone know if that is true?

If so, what might it be worth?

Rmocarsky

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I've never seen a green one. Whether that makes it rare or not? A normal Nylon 66 in perfect condition is selling for $600-$700 right now.

If green is rare, I would expect it to carry a premium of $100-$200.

The price of these rifles has really shot up in the last couple of years. The prices I quoted were asking prices that I have seen. I can't say what they actually sold for.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    without looking it up, I am certain the green variety is more rare. I have a Mohawk Brown one that was my first rifle. I imagine these are probably close to $600 maybe a little less. Last time I checked I figured mine was worth about $450-500. They will shoot forever, so don't be afraid to enjoy it.

Check this out for info.http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The Senecca Green in the rarest of these and will bring a premium if in good condition.. Probably $100-$200 as Don't panic said. I would think they are selling for around $700 in good condition. I tracked one down for my old boss's father on GB about 8 years ago and it was about $600. If viewed in a not too bright area they look to be an off brown but when in direct light they are definitely green. The Mohawk Brown ones are the most common, followed by the Apache in chrome. Look lot the brown ones on GB and ad a few bucks as to value.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Love this line from the NylonRifles.com site:

“There were over a million Nylon 66s and tens of thousands of variations made. Most are still in circulation. I will not spend a house payment on …"

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    Great rifles, mine is black and chrome. If you are planning on keeping it and shooting it, look into getting a spee-d-loader for it, saves a lot of time.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I have an old green nylon, but iirc, it is a Nylon 77. Had it since I was a kid, my first 22 rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I think the overall prices being quoted are high.

I have seen nice looking ones at gun shows for around $300. Black/Chrome maninly, but occasionally a Mohawk Brown.

34th Edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values puts a 1005 Mohawk Brown at $400, Black Diamond at $500, Seneca Green at $625.

100% is basically new in box condition. 905 drops to $260, $350, $425.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Besides the sentimental value, how good are the Nylon 66 rifles really? I read an article about them a few years back, and they caught my interest. Sadly, I've never held or fired one, personally, though.

It seems kind of strange that they were produced in decent numbers, but for such a relatively short period*... while the 10/22 has been around for half a century and counting.

*edit: ok, I see now that they were manufactured from 1959 thru 1989, and just 1 million were made. I guess my question now is, why didn't they sell more - were they perceived as "cheap" because of the plastic stock?

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Besides the sentimental value, how good are the Nylon 66 rifles really? I read an article about them a few years back, and they caught my interest. Sadly, I've never held or fired one, personally, though.

It seems kind of strange that they were produced in decent numbers, but for such a relatively short period*... while the 10/22 has been around for half a century and counting.

*edit: ok, I see now that they were manufactured from 1959 thru 1989, and just 1 million were made. I guess my question now is, why didn't they sell more - were they perceived as "cheap" because of the plastic stock?

I have one that was my first .22 rifle. I keep it for that reason. While it is reliable, the "Nylon" or I think Remington calls it "Zytel" along with the receiver construction make the POI shift when scoped. I have talked to other Nylon owners who had the same problem. If you use open sights it isn't too bad, but a scope goes off after it heats up. I have heard that was why it was discontinued, don't know. I did read last year they were going to bring it back. With the current Remington quality, I wouldn't buy one.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If I remember right. They cost almost as much as a 10/22 when new. Most people opted for a removable magazine.

The Marlin 60 was much cheaper than both.

In 1978 when I bought my Marlin 60, it cost $38. I remember the nylon 66 and 10/22 costing about $60

I just found this really good article on them. It should answer most of your questions.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC, there were also some issues with rusting under the plastic, after being exposed to weather (rain). So issues if a hunting gun.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    LOL, few years back guy I know said he picked up an "old scoped 10/22" as part of a trade and would take $50 for it.
    Told him I'd take it. He brought over a black and chrome Nylon 66.
    Need a rear sight but functions fine.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The Nylon 66 is a fine gun and very accurate. It has endured the test of time. I think I remember my buddy paying $95 for his Apache Chrome new back in the day. Excellent link by Don'tpanic. I like rim fires a lot and if I could find a good condition 66 that wasn't over priced I'd jump on it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Kids love shooting Nylon semi autos ... the dual concentric springs make recoil about the same as a Daisy

RB5082

Mar 6, 2015
    Oh man - my first rifle. I shot the rifling out of that gun. It still looks like the day my Dad bought it for me at a Heck's in WV for $92.99. Was recently told you can use it in cowboy action silhouette shoots due to the tubular magazine.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Attachments

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 141

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Don't ever try to take one apart for cleaning--believe the original manual advised not to do that. I had one in the '60s and remember it as nearly impossible to reassemble. Just shoot and then swab out the bore with a patch after use and remove loose residue around bolt. Dropped mine off a boat---it floated. Dried it out in sun--still shot ok for 10 years after...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom