• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBossMan

Mar 7, 2013
    Washington County
    The weather will be warming up soon and I need to get more active. I'm looking for strange places, old ruins, abandoned sites in the area to photograph. I'm especially interested in the old, abandoned coal camps of the late 1800s/early 1900s. I don't mind having to do some bushwhacking to get there. Any suggestions that won't get me arrested for trespassing? :)

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Centralia is neat, I rode through there with a group of friends going to a racing event at Numidia Dragstrip. Got home, and started googling.

I'm not big into that stuff but it may be a worthwhile trip for you. many people have taken pictures and documented the area I'm just as content sitting and gawking at a computer screen about it.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Centralia is a good place to stay the f out of.

Before they evacuated a teenaged boy fell through a hole that opened up and if he hadn't been able to hold on to the edge until help arrived, would have fallen 100+ feet into a burning mine.

That, and plenty of fumes to over come you.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Before they evacuated a teenaged boy fell through a hole that opened up and if he hadn't been able to hold on to the edge until help arrived, would have fallen 100+ feet into a burning mine.

Sooooo .... road trip? :lol2:

BigBossMan

Mar 7, 2013
    Washington County

If I go, it will be with a friend. Definitely not a place to explore solo.

BigBossMan

Mar 7, 2013
    Washington County
    http://opacity.us/locations/region/us/md can't just be western maryland ya gotta expore

I've seen that site. Sadly most of those are gone or off limits. I used to live in Waldorf and actually got to see the Nike radar dish as a boy. Jacob Tome burned down last year, Henryton was torn down and Springfield Hospital is smack dab in the middle of the MSP and Corrections training centers. They Maryland Police and Correcional Training Commission took over that area. That pretty much leaves Enchanted Forest which is on private property and the old power station in Baltimore.

There is no way I'm going into any abandoned area in Baltimore without a fire team and extra mags. lol

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Not sure about western MD but I can give you a couple in Cockeysville if you ever get to that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    I've seen that site. Sadly most of those are gone or off limits. I used to live in Waldorf and actually got to see the Nike radar dish as a boy. Jacob Tome burned down last year, Henryton was torn down and Springfield Hospital is smack dab in the middle of the MSP and Corrections training centers. They Maryland Police and Correcional Training Commission took over that area. That pretty much leaves Enchanted Forest which is on private property and the old power station in Baltimore.

There is no way I'm going into any abandoned area in Baltimore without a fire team and extra mags. lol

i was fortunate to see henryton and glensdale haven't checked on their status of being completely demolished :/ :tdown: fort howard hospital is still around years back i used to walk the premises don't know how it is nowadays...

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    There is an abandoned coal town on the north branch of the potomac near Westernport. I think it's call Warnick. There isn't much there now but a few foundations, cemetery and a few mine shafts. To get there take wv rt 46 to Barnum wv. Follow the road along the river downstream til it ends at the rail trail gate. Hike about a mile down the trail and you'll see a sign for the cemetery on the left the town is also marked by a sign a few hundred yards past the cemetery.

BigBossMan

Mar 7, 2013
    Washington County
    There is an abandoned coal town on the north branch of the potomac near Westernport. I think it's call Warnick. There isn't much there now but a few foundations, cemetery and a few mine shafts. To get there take wv rt 46 to Barnum wv. Follow the road along the river downstream til it ends at the rail trail gate. Hike about a mile down the trail and you'll see a sign for the cemetery on the left the town is also marked by a sign a few hundred yards past the cemetery.

Perfect! I'll check that one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom