• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sindri907

Sep 17, 2012
    Monrovia
    Anyone adept at building AKs or know gunsmiths who do it for a reasonable price in the NOVA area?
    I have a Bulgarian AK-74 sidefolding kit with a virgin barrel, so it needs to be pressed, headspaced, and pinned. I bought it with the intention of buying all the tools and doing a few builds of different AKs I like and such. But my interests have changed, so Id just like to get this one done.

Sindri907

Sep 17, 2012
    Monrovia
    I have a Nodak receiver - its complete except drilling the rear holes to rivet in the stock.
    And by virgin barrel I mean its a brand new made in the USA barrel. It does have the gas port drilled, but it came to me in plain steel. I dont have access to a parkerizing setup so I blued it to protect it. As I said, it needs to be pressed into the front trunion, head spaced, notched, and then pinned in place.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Just a word of caution, unless you recently bought the Nodak receiver and it was black oxided be careful of rust issues, especially around the central support rivet and between the receiver and lower rails........seems they were using a salt bath to heat treat them.

Sindri907

Sep 17, 2012
    Monrovia
    I got the receiver back in November, so its pretty new. Just to be on the safe side, I sealed it up in a plastic bag with a healthy coating of CLP.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    If you have some google fu it will show a number of thread around there net where people are reporting problems......people are having to boil their receivers multiple time in dawn dish water and the like in an effort to remove the salts before final finishing....some are stil having problems with rust.

Sindri907

Sep 17, 2012
    Monrovia
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at it when I get home tonight. It is black oxided, though, and I inspected it upon receipt and earlier this month I pulled it out when I got the rest of the parts for my build and it appeared fine. I may boil it just to be on the safe side... I'm sure my wife will love that. Now I just need to find a smith to help me get it all put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom