• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Never in a million years did I expect to find an early English stocked original condition first or second year A5 at a small local gun show. Walking along and the gun just stood out among several other old firearms.
    Picked it up, looked it over and saw the serial number, 2182, could not believe my eyes,figure has to be first or second year. Gun appears to be all original in pretty incredible shape,90% or better original bluing, wood with original finish and only a few dings and 1 small chip by the lower tang. Butt plate is perfect.
    Worked out a price and took her home,pulled it apart and confirmed barrel serial number match's, has original square spring, brass bushing and spring, missing the bevel washer unless the real early ones did not have the washer, Anyone know?
    Barrel measures 27" to the receiver,has 1 small dent and has the Browning Automatic Arms Ogden Utah barrel address on top.
    The first 10,000 A5's were ordered from FN by John Browning himself.

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpg
      IMG_2783.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 778
    • IMG_2784.jpg
      IMG_2784.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 766
    • IMG_2785.jpg
      IMG_2785.jpg
      61.8 KB · Views: 761
    • IMG_2786.jpg
      IMG_2786.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 795
    • IMG_2787.jpg
      IMG_2787.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 775
    • IMG_2790.jpg
      IMG_2790.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 760
    • IMG_2791.jpg
      IMG_2791.jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 766
    • IMG_2792.jpg
      IMG_2792.jpg
      81.4 KB · Views: 753
    • IMG_2793.jpg
      IMG_2793.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 780

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Thanks everyone. This one has me more excited than most. It is defiantly first year for the Browning A5.
    John Browning had gone to Winchester to see if they would manufacture his design, Winchester turned him down, then went to Remington, Remington wanted it but the CEO had a heart attack and died before production started and they decided to not produce it.
    In 1902 Browning went to FN in Belgium and they agreed to produce it and Browning ordered 10,000, at the end of 1903 4600 or so had been delivered, this one being 2182. This one is even rarer in that it is the Trap Grade, only offered in 2 grades at first, regular and Trap, main difference is better wood and checkering.
    Guns were labeled Browning Automatic Arms Ogden Utah USA. Boggles my mind that JOHN MOSES BROWNING may have actually touched this shotgun,pulling it out of a crate just shipped in from Belgium.
    I located an old ad, this gun sold for 40 bucks in 1903, quite a sum for those times, the regular version sold for 30 bucks.
    I gave 500 for it and was happy to do so.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thanks everyone. This one has me more excited than most. It is defiantly first year for the Browning A5.
    John Browning had gone to Winchester to see if they would manufacture his design, Winchester turned him down, then went to Remington, Remington wanted it but the CEO had a heart attack and died before production started and they decided to not produce it.
    In 1902 Browning went to FN in Belgium and they agreed to produce it and Browning ordered 10,000, at the end of 1903 4600 or so had been delivered, this one being 2182. This one is even rarer in that it is the Trap Grade, only offered in 2 grades at first, regular and Trap, main difference is better wood and checkering.
    Guns were labeled Browning Automatic Arms Ogden Utah USA. Boggles my mind that JOHN MOSES BROWNING may have actually touched this shotgun,pulling it out of a crate just shipped in from Belgium.
    I located an old ad, this gun sold for 40 bucks in 1903, quite a sum for those times, the regular version sold for 30 bucks.

Really? 500 bucks sounds like a steal for that. :thumbsup:

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    wow that is a killer find , I give ya 500.00 and a sweet Belgium a5 mag for it .that is cool did the seller have any info on it , a5s are one off the best shotguns if not the best ever made. they are thing off beauty great stocks on that two if ever like to sell or trade it love to have it

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Guess I know what you did with that Mauser money! The A-5 is my favorite shotgun and to find one of that vintage, in that condition, and at that price - WOW! Congratulations.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Well, you can bet your ass I'll be looking at serial nums on all A5s I see from now on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom