• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    Boy is asking for his first gun. He is taking the Hunter Safety course this week. Guy teaching it is suggesting a 20 gauge. Man of the house is suggesting a 410. Boy is 10. He's right down the middle in being average for height/weight for a 10 year old, BUT he's strong as hell.

Any suggestions? I'm a momma who just doesn't want my son knocked on his ass or have a bruised shoulder. :lol:

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    .22 rifle - bolt action.

If it must be a shotgun, I'd go 410.

He wants a shotgun. The course instructor was quite adamant about the 20 gauge being a better gun for him. He actually made a comment about .22 not being what he'd recommend because I assumed that he would recommend one. It always seemed to be the first gun in my family. :lol:

redneckhunter

Mar 4, 2013
    Id say a single shot 20 gauge would be good for him. He can shoot low brass shells and they wont knock him over. And if he decides he would like to use it for hunting it will be a great squirrel/turkey/deer gun. You can not hunt deer or turkey with a 410. Plus he would out grow the 410. Best bet would be a 22lr for practice shooting and small game hunting

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    Id say a single shot 20 gauge would be good for him. He can shoot low brass shells and they wont knock him over. And if he decides he would like to use it for hunting it will be a great squirrel/turkey/deer gun. You can not hunt deer or turkey with a 410. Plus he would out grow the 410. Best bet would be a 22lr for practice shooting and small game hunting

I think this is why he suggested the 20 gauge. He's growing quickly. I do not want something that I'll be replacing in a year. We're going to test a few this weekend and see what the boy can handle. I'm curious to know myself. I'm not much of a shotgun person myself, but I want to learn. The kid has just as much strength, if not more, than I do. To date, I've only shot one and it knocked me on my rear.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    .22 20 gauge over under.

I was going to suggest this as well, but you could peruse the racks of used shotguns to find a youth 20ga or even an Remington 1100 is a soft shooting shotgun.

with kids and youth you have to worry about getting something with too much barrel as it adds cantilever weight and makes them sit back in their stance rather than lean forward like they should.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    We use 20 ga in boy scouts for kids as young as 9 or 10 for trap. We offer a 410 if they don't like the 20, but most like the 20.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    It depends on what he's going to do with it. If he's going to be hunting birds, or trying trap/skeet, then I suggest a 20 gauge shotgun. With low-recoil loads, he should be fine. A .410 is really an expert's gun. There's so little shot that it makes hitting a moving target with one very, very hard to with one.

OTOH, if the intent is for him to punch paper or shooting static targets like squirrels, then a .22 is the right choice. For that, you could also get him involved in a NRA-sanctioned smallbore youth program. I know they have one at AGC and also at AAFG.

JoeR

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    It depends on what he's going to do with it. If he's going to be hunting birds, or trying trap/skeet, then I suggest a 20 gauge shotgun. With low-recoil loads, he should be fine. A .410 is really an expert's gun. There's so little shot that it makes hitting a moving target with one very, very hard to with one.

OTOH, if the intent is for him to punch paper or shooting static targets like squirrels, then a .22 is the right choice. For that, you could also get him involved in a NRA-sanctioned smallbore youth program. I know they have one at AGC and also at AAFG.

JoeR
    He's going to hopefully shoot a deer or ten with the thing.

Dec 31, 2012
    My first was a bolt 22mag but I would have been very happy with that Rossi combo especially if it comes in 20ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom