• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    So I probably should have thought about this a little sooner but regardless, I would like to Build a AR-10. I know I can buy a complete one. I've been to three different dealers and got three different answers. One "yes you can still build a AR-10", one "no absolutely not", and one "I don't know, I've been trying to contact the MSP and get some answers but they just will not give us an answer".

The owner of the dealer that didn't know gave me the a few phone numbers at the MSP, and told me if I get an answer come back in and let him know whats going on. I will probably do that this coming week, but I would like to know what you guys know. Can a AR 10 stripped lower be sold in Maryland or do I have to buy a complete AR-10? Ive also tried searching I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed, but I do not think it has.

I wanted to build a AR-10 because I do not have to shell out $2000 all at once its like layaway, credit without the interest. I could build it with what I want, provided it doesn't have a flash hider or grenade launcher on it.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you wait around a month, there will be a local guy offering AR-10 Billet 80% lowers with CNC rental. Keep an eye out on the forums.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Weren't all lower receivers considered regulated, even if the completed rifle would be un-regulated? I remember someone at 2A saying this.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Weren't all lower receivers considered regulated, even if the completed rifle would be un-regulated? I remember someone at 2A saying this.

I don't believe the AR-10 was ever regulated in MD, at least that's what I recall reading around here someplace.

I could be mistaken about that though.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    You need to do some more reading. AR-10 lowers are not as standard as AR-15. You will need to stick with the same company you start with. Check out Rock River and DPMS for good values.

Rob00taws6

Apr 4, 2013
    You need to do some more reading. AR-10 lowers are not as standard as AR-15. You will need to stick with the same company you start with. Check out Rock River and DPMS for good values.

Ya I'm pretty much set on Doing an Armalite build, but I'm getting conflicting answers as to if I can still build an AR 10 in Maryland. It's crazy because they are unrestricted but you can't build one?

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    The general rule for MD is if your FFL will do it. Many MD FFLs won't order a gun for you if he thinks it was banned. Other will simply look at the list and will do the deal if it is not specifically on the list. The exact guidance from the MSP and the AG is still pretty vague.

My advice is go into your FFL and ask.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I'm taking the build route aswell. Getting me a 80% AR 10 DPMS style from a guy on here. By time I finish it hopefully parts and shit be done died down so I don't have to spend a fortune to build it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    From what I remember, Armalite is different than DPMS, and S&W, Remington, and a couple of others used DPMS as a base versus Armalite. There was some talk a few years ago about CMMG building a stripped upper and lower to use CETME/G3 mags, I don't think it panned out. That would have been great for me since I have 35 G3 mags and 1 CETME.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    If you wait around a month, there will be a local guy offering AR-10 Billet 80% lowers with CNC rental. Keep an eye out on the forums.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
    They are still working on it. But when they're ready it'll be worth the wait; finger grooves all the way.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Who was doing it? I have an 80% receiver, just need to mill it out
    We were talking about the AR-10 80% lowers from a MDS member. Also, if the lower was not completed before 10/1/13; do not finish it now!!! They had to be 100% pre-10/1, otherwise you would be manufacturing. I would recommend selling it 80% to someone out of state or keeping it as a neat paper weight.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You're prob going to have to transfer a lower as regulated as you could build it into a pistol. Thats not necessary if you buy a complete rifle as its already a rifle (and once a rifle always a rifle)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    From what I remember, Armalite is different than DPMS, and S&W, Remington, and a couple of others used DPMS as a base versus Armalite. There was some talk a few years ago about CMMG building a stripped upper and lower to use CETME/G3 mags, I don't think it panned out. That would have been great for me since I have 35 G3 mags and 1 CETME.

I believe it panned out and almost bought one by accident on gunbroker. It is the CMMG MK-8 that uses G3 mags. The CMMG MK-3 uses PMAGS. Thing is, CMMG no longer makes the MK-8. Guess there wasn't enough demand.

The MK-8 was used in this build:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11671169/

If you google it, you might be able to find one for sale. I know I saw a couple for sale on gunbroker back in April and May of this year.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    We were talking about the AR-10 80% lowers from a MDS member. Also, if the lower was not completed before 10/1/13; do not finish it now!!! They had to be 100% pre-10/1, otherwise you would be manufacturing. I would recommend selling it 80% to someone out of state or keeping it as a neat paper weight.

Oops, I should've worded that better. It's an 80% ar10 lower

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom