• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    http://citypaper.com/news/state-police-swamped-by-background-checks-for-new-gun-purchases-1.1470471

What I can't figure out is how the wait is getting worse when they have purportedly doubled hours and personnel. Its been many a year since I dropped the BS in favor of a BA because of my distaste for math, but shouldn't that equal a quadrupled capacity?

It just seems absolutely ridiculous. Apparently having to type each name 17 times is a huge part of the delay? You must be joking? If they only have 55 people doing this total for 10 hours per day, and you give them 5 minutes per database it takes 85 minutes per applicant - but that is 33,000 minutes of labor per day - which should be enough for 388 applications per day. EXCEPT, they have supposedly twice as many people working more than twice as long. So they should be able to process 1552+ applications per day. They should be eroding the backlog, not seeing extend by one day every three days.

Now, if they are processing just 300 per 21 hours, and assuming they only have the 55 new employees, it is taking them 3.85 man hours per application.

And that $10 fee? If they are getting 500 per day than they are also getting $5k per day. Government bureaucracy at its finest.

the more I think on it...:mad54:

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    If you're a designated collector the wait isn't as horrible bc usually I'm waiting on 3-4 things at a time.
    I haven't a clue what you just said but it sounds smart

Welcome to the Forum

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Even before the explosion this seems like a ridiculous system, instead of accessing 17 different databases why not create an 18th database that all others feed into for the sole purpose of doing background checks.

RavensChick

Gun Loving Bitch
    http://citypaper.com/news/state-police-swamped-by-background-checks-for-new-gun-purchases-1.1470471

What I can't figure out is how the wait is getting worse when they have purportedly doubled hours and personnel. Its been many a year since I dropped the BS in favor of a BA because of my distaste for math, but shouldn't that equal a quadrupled capacity?

It just seems absolutely ridiculous. Apparently having to type each name 17 times is a huge part of the delay? You must be joking? If they only have 55 people doing this total for 10 hours per day, and you give them 5 minutes per database it takes 85 minutes per applicant - but that is 33,000 minutes of labor per day - which should be enough for 388 applications per day. EXCEPT, they have supposedly twice as many people working more than twice as long. So they should be able to process 1552+ applications per day. They should be eroding the backlog, not seeing extend by one day every three days.

Now, if they are processing just 300 per 21 hours, and assuming they only have the 55 new employees, it is taking them 3.85 man hours per application.

And that $10 fee? If they are getting 500 per day than they are also getting $5k per day. Government bureaucracy at its finest.

Sounds like their software sucks. There is no way a user should have to data enter the same data 17 times.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    The spokesman blames NICS for part of the delay? I haven't heard of delays at NICS from friends in other states. Even if NICS was a couple days behind, that means MSP is responsible for the other 50 or so.

goalie098

Trigger Monkey
    Oct 18, 2010
    Finksburg, MD

ummm did you just use math? See here is your problem; Math = logic. Government = chaos, bureaucracy, deception, and incompetency. All four of those independently cancels logic and de facto it cancels math. Thus you cannot use math to solve the current wait time. What we need is a focus group to look at recommendations from a think tank all funded by an self increasing tax on the people. Then we can see a solution. Come on guys

Just sayin :innocent0

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Just talked to the seller of my latest acquisition, who is down in Texas. Was explaining the situation up here and the new bill, he could not believe it! He said we should all come on down there!

Who's ready to move to Texas?

*** We are now entering a phase where we must sleep with one eye open at all times ***

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Just talked to the seller of my latest acquisition, who is down in Texas. Was explaining the situation up here and the new bill, he could not believe it! He said we should all come on down there!

Who's ready to move to Texas?

*** We are now entering a phase where we must sleep with one eye open at all times ***

I Wish. Three problems come to mind (not necessarily in this order).
    1. job here
    2. professional license here
    3. that would be closer to in-laws.

hoping the dc & baltimore metro's hatred of the Eastern Shore has them offer us to Virginia, hell, Delaware? sadly more realistic :banghead:

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I Wish. Three problems come to mind (not necessarily in this order).
    1. job here
    2. professional license here
    3. that would be closer to in-laws.

hoping the dc & baltimore metro's hatred of the Eastern Shore has them offer us to Virginia, hell, Delaware? sadly more realistic :banghead:

I have reason number 1 :(

Won't stop me from wanting to go.... :D

Then he rubbed salt in it and told me if I lived in Texas, I could just drop by and pick it up....

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    Even before the explosion this seems like a ridiculous system, instead of accessing 17 different databases why not create an 18th database that all others feed into for the sole purpose of doing background checks.

Whoa whoa can't have people using "common sense" when it comes to government bureaucracy after its for the children.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The spokesman blames NICS for part of the delay? I haven't heard of delays at NICS from friends in other states. Even if NICS was a couple days behind, that means MSP is responsible for the other 50 or so.

NICS is still fairly instant. This is all MSP delay.

And I agree with the OP, the math doesn't make sense. There was an huge lift in demand in November after the election, so they already had a month to staff up temporarily. A month later the top blew off. Since then, the MSP has had ALMOST FOUR MONTHS to staff up and not break Maryland's mandated 7-day regulation.

No excuse, except that they've been "disincentivized" to fix the problem.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    with these long delays, how in the hell am I supposed to be able to make the purchases I want before they are banned on oct 1? o wait, nevermind, I think I just figured it out...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) s long as you have a purchase order by Oct 1, you are fine.

2) You can have paper work in early. MSP will just tell the FFL to delay the delivery until 30 days after the last one.

3) Apply for Designated Collector status.

With 1 and 2, you can buy at least 6+ regulated firearms. With 3, you can buy as many as you can afford.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    1) s long as you have a purchase order by Oct 1, you are fine.

2) You can have paper work in early. MSP will just tell the FFL to delay the delivery until 30 days after the last one.

3) Apply for Designated Collector status.

With 1 and 2, you can buy at least 6+ regulated firearms. With 3, you can buy as many as you can afford.

Did I miss something? I thought you had to take ownership of the firearm before october 1? So now you just need to have the paperwork in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom