• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Good family project while we are stuck at home. Boys and I just finished a work/reloading bench. Used all wood that we scrounged from various scrap wood piles around. I have never reloaded before but seems as good of a time as any to get in to it. My 15 year old and I can learn together while he is out of school. Maybe I can convince my 13 year old to get off of playstation long enough to participate as well. Should be fun!

Attachments

• 20200407_154217.jpg
      20200407_154217.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 381

HarryLogan

HarryLogan, also known as MesWoore
    Jan 16, 2020
    Looks great. Especially considering it is from various scrap piles. I was thinking of doing something similar but Home Depot has been packed lately.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Looks like you also have it (or could do so) fastened into the studs. Smart. Nice looking work surface. A small strip (or old wooden yard stick) on the front edge can be useful to keep things from rolling off.

Update this thread when you're ready to begin your press selection. Good job! Good luck with getting the kid off the screens. I have that problem with mine (he's almost 11).

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    I like the wooden yard stick idea. Would also be handy for quick measurements. Already have a single stage RCBS press that I was fortunate enough to get from another MDS member to get me set up.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    You may want to cut out some room on the bottom board for a toe kick. It will be hard to stand up close to the bench without one.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Looks good.

I would probably have doubled the top with some boards or plywood.

I agree with the toe clearance comment.

Heavy is good.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah. May have to notch the front for standing room. The top is 3/4" plywood with 3/4" shelving board on top so hopefully strong enough.

That should do it.

Mine is double layer 3/4" ply, glued and screwed. Then covered in matte white laminate.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    That should do it.

Mine is double layer 3/4" ply, glued and screwed. Then covered in matte white laminate.

I’m wanting to build a reloading bench and thought two layers of 3/4 might not be enough. I’m not sure. I’m also trying to figure out a layout / plan for the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m wanting to build a reloading bench and thought two layers of 3/4 might not be enough. I’m not sure. I’m also trying to figure out a layout / plan for the bench.

It has been fine for my setup (Dillon 650 and single stage).

My frame is 2x4, with doubled 2x4 legs.

I cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half lengthwise for the top. Glued and screwed the two layers. Top is glued and screwed to the frame.

Lower shelf and back is 1/2" ply. After I did the laminate, I put 1/4" ply, about 2" above the top along the back and sides to keep things from falling off.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Great looking bench. Thanks for the motivation to get my gun/loading room started. I have the lumber, just have to empty all my wife’s holiday/seasonal decorations that are piled floor to ceiling. That requires building shelving in another room but that allowed me to acquire some extra lumber to build my bench

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom