• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've got the Gemtech Mist on a 10/22 based custom rifle. I haven't shot is much but, as you'd expect, it got dirty quick. I didn't clean it for some time but did so last weekend. No problem with the action but I can't get the shroud off the barrel to get at the baffles. Any suggestions?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    When I use the Mist, I always unscrew it a little during and after the range session. I do that with most cans. You could take something like Break Free and squirt it down the chamber and let is sit a while. That may help loosen it up. Also, get some anti seize and put a dab on the threads.
    What ammo where you shooting? I never use dirty or cheap ammo in cans. You are asking for trouble.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    When I use the Mist, I always unscrew it a little during and after the range session. I do that with most cans. You could take something like Break Free and squirt it down the chamber and let is sit a while. That may help loosen it up. Also, get some anti seize and put a dab on the threads.
    What ammo where you shooting? I never use dirty or cheap ammo in cans. You are asking for trouble.

I believe it was CCI quiet IIRC. Never had issues with regular cans getting them unscrewed so I never intentionally loosened them. In fact they often loose for me and I'm having to tighten them. So, I didn't think to do that with the Mist. I guess I'll disassemble and spray Break Free in there and see what happens.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Kroil penetrates and allows unthreading things best.

I have found it helps to loosed it a bit before it fully cools.

It seems the crud is softer when warm. You could also try heating with hot or boiling water, or a heat gun/hair drier.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Kroil penetrates and allows unthreading things best.

I have found it helps to loosed it a bit before it fully cools.

It seems the crud is softer when warm. You could also try heating with hot or boiling water, or a heat gun/hair drier.

I was doing further googling and some have had success just shooting it a bunch and warming it that way. I'll try the hair dryer first. If neither work then kroil it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom