• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What are you all using? I had a food saver v3240 and I am about done buying their crap. I sealed 10 bags yesterday and the board burnt up. The sealer bar has resistance and the board will not output voltage.

I am looking for something that can handle a little short term duty and not crazy expensive.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm using a foodsaver too, but maybe my duty is lighter than yours. I pack about 2 deer a year and maybe 50 other bags of meat intermittently.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Another food saver here, mine still works however gets over heated often and I have to wait for the "sealing bar" to cool down before finishing. I've been happy with my cabelas commercial products, I think my next one will be that brand.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ended up with this model cuz of reviews and an amazon sale. I’ve done 10-15 bags of chicken at a time with no real issues. It doesn’t like wet stuff like chicken/marinade mix when you go heavy on the marinade, especially if there is oil in there. It works great for my needs though. We eat a lot of chicken and i hate Costco because people don’t understand you can’t stop in the middle with your giant ass cart so i buy bulk at Aldi and have to vac seal it.

Super easy to use but i assume most of them are. Easy as heck to clean when the juices get sucked up into the vac drain area.

I’ll add I’ve only had it for a month so please take my review with a grain of salt.

Attachments

• 6EAEEA43-7115-499F-A2D1-B0A5E8AF6182.jpg
      6EAEEA43-7115-499F-A2D1-B0A5E8AF6182.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 496

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I worry about the Cabelas models as they change supplies and you loose the ability to get replacement parts. The $300 one is the only one with any good reviews.

I need a lot of resealing ability with processing game, sealing hotdogs, bologna and soon butchering chickens probably.

I am thinking now I will probably get the Cabelas commercial I got points to use

Cabela's Commercial-Grade 12" Vacuum Sealer
    Compact 12" dual heat-strip sealing bar for an airtight seal
    Intelligent Sealing Bar monitors and adjusts heat level
    Smart Heat Technology for nonstop use with no waiting periods
    26 in. Hg of pressure keeps food fresh five times longer
    Crush-resistant, replaceable foam seal gaskets

I am done buying this cheap stuff. I spend $300 on several instead of one good one.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I have this one, it does ok. Had a food saver that wore out. I don’t think the vacuum is any stronger on the cabelas unit, but it has been holding up for a while. So maybe it is in fact made more durable. One thing I noticed is that the bags hold up better than the roll of material that you cut and seal both ends. They cost a bit more, but that is all I will use now.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/hom...mercial-grade-vac-sealer/2742410.uts?slotId=8

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have this one purchased years ago when I got into reloading. I seal my reloads in bags of 100 and use it for processing meat. It hasnt failed yet it and is simple to operate.

Attachments

• 20190125_092353-600x800.jpg
      20190125_092353-600x800.jpg
      93.4 KB · Views: 472

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Westin has a coupon code in the back of one of my hunting magazines. I can check when I get home if interested.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I bought the Cabelas Commercial model as I need the heavy duty sealing. No need to post food savers, I have had three fail now and would not buy another if they gave me half off.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've had a FoodSaver FM5480 for a couple of years of light-duty use. So far, so good.

Attachments

• FoodSaver FM5400.jpg
      FoodSaver FM5400.jpg
      27.7 KB · Views: 250

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have a food saver but kinda wish I would have got a Chamber Vacuum Sealer. I think in the long run you spend more $ buying bags than you would have if you got the chamber sealer. I've never used a chamber sealer but they look 100 times faster too.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    After I get home and some random thought jogs my memory, I'll look at ours and let you know. We've used it 7or 8 years now with no trouble.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I have been using a Rival by Sunbeam for years with no issues. I follow the instructions and let it cool 20 seconds between uses. Used every month after I buy my meats in large family packs. I have gone through about 500 bags on this machine.

According to the research that I did before purchasing this machine, there are only a couple of places that make them and they are all pretty much the same internally. The main thing I took away is that paying more may get you some frills, but not much in the way of function. Brand name means little in this line of products as all are made in China as cheaply as possible!

I opted for small and portable so it can be stored in a cabinet or drawer until needed. Seems like I did better than most from previous posts.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have this one and Ive used it a lot! The only thing I had to do was open it up and put some lube on the microswitch that tells it the door is closed. It was sticking in the open position. Ive packed a bunch of fish and lots of deer, a couple elk, and some road kill moose. I cant even begin to count how many bags Ive got through. Its a quite a few years old now.

FSFSSL3230-015-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom