• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    i'm looking to make a custom mod to my safe to hold all my pistol mags. i don't have many, maybe 20-30 total... until now and for the past two years, i was using the Gun Storage Solutions magnet bars. they held empty mags fine, but I would like to store my mags loaded, and those magnets are simply too weak to support that kind of weight.

i wanted to stick with the magnet theme (see what i did there?) and mount some neodymium rare earth magnets to my door, but it's that carpeted plywood i think. the magnets are about 0.75" in diameter and are rated to hold four pounds. i am looking for suggestions as to how to mount the magnets, or show me your mag storage mods so maybe i can glean some ideas

i was thinking maybe attach strips of wood or pvc to the door and then bond the magnets to the strips?

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    the second link you added after edit shows a magnet that costs $25 and holds three magazines. i have dozens of neodymium magnets that cost about $0.75 each

also not a fan of storing the gun directly on the rare earth magnet as it could mess with the firing pin blocks and firing pins. i don't store my guns loaded but i don't want to tempt fate

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    But wait, won't magnets magnetize the bullets and make them stick in the barrel when fired?

a good point, but i don't shoot steel case or steel core ammunition out of any of my pistols. is there any other ferrous material in a standard copper jacketed, lead bullet with a brass case (nickel plated or not) ?

also i think i would have to wrap each cartridge in copper wire and rub them in a unidirectional fashion along one pole of the magnet.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    Screw some shoe organizers to the inside of the doors. They'll hold the magazines just fine and you don't have to dick around with magnets.

i had to google shoe organizer lol. i dunno if that'll allow me to close the safe door. they look too bulky. magnets seem low profile. anyone else store loaded mags and have this problem?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Screw some shoe organizers to the inside of the doors. They'll hold the magazines just fine and you don't have to dick around with magnets.

If the OP has plywood inside the door, they can do something very similar to this with a staple gun and strips of vinyl or fabric cloth. Can even customize the pocket size to fit their needs.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Triton magnetic pads, they come in 2 and 3 panel models
    http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Products-72424-MagClip-Magnet/dp/B0019G10BC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1426005039&sr=8-13&keywords=triton+magnetic

What looks like holes are actually the magnets. It is covered in a black rubbery substance. You could screw it on the door with those clips that hold flat mirrors on the wall.

I have an old safe without fire proofing. It easily can hold a couple loaded 16 rd CZ mags without the mags falling off or the magnetic pad falling off.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    a good point, but i don't shoot steel case or steel core ammunition out of any of my pistols. is there any other ferrous material in a standard copper jacketed, lead bullet with a brass case (nickel plated or not) ?

also i think i would have to wrap each cartridge in copper wire and rub them in a unidirectional fashion along one pole of the magnet.

Just for the record, I was making a joke. ;) :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom