• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    This may have already been asked but I cannot find it. If you do NOT have reciepts for guns that MD has banned. What is the best way to get proof you owned these guns prior to 10/1/13?

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    bank statement? Credit card statement? If you used cash I'd say you're screwed unless you can talk to the person who sold it to you to give you a duplicate receipt, since it's a firearm and all I'm sure they have a copy of that kind of stuff. Or the FFL that did the transfer probably still has a copy of the 4473? on file. Luckily the state is the one that has to prove you DIDN'T buy it prior to 01 OCT.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Did you buy in MD as regulated? If so, I wouldn't worry about it and let them rely on their records if the question ever arises. If you moved into state with them or some other way it'll be a little trickier.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Did you buy in MD as regulated? If so, I wouldn't worry about it and let them rely on their records if the question ever arises. If you moved into state with them or some other way it'll be a little trickier.

Yes. Both guns were purchased in Md as regulated. So I did plenty of paperwork with the state at time of purchase. I probably have the paperwork buried in a stack of papers at my house but just never feel like consuming my time trying to did through it all.

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    The State would have the date of transfer in its database...and as said, they have the burden of proof and also in court under rules of discovery, they would need to provide all firearm records they have for you.

What I have for myself is a three ring binder with all documents, receipts, appraisals for each of my firearms (even accessories I've purchased) which I keep in my safe. I also have a digital copy of same with photos stored on a thumb-drive stored separately as a backup and for insurance purposes.

Never hurts to over document...

BradMaryland

Sep 29, 2013
    I bought in PA prior to Oct 1 and live in MD do I need to do anything ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    But isn't the burden of proof on the state to prove that it was purchased AFTER October 1st?

I only ask because I'm currently stationed in Ohio and purchased a lower receiver last year with cash. I don't have a receipt for it, so would I be able to bring it back to Maryland if I ever get stationed back there?

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    The State would have the date of transfer in its database...and as said, they have the burden of proof and also in court under rules of discovery, they would need to provide all firearm records they have for you.

What I have for myself is a three ring binder with all documents, receipts, appraisals for each of my firearms (even accessories I've purchased) which I keep in my safe. I also have a digital copy of same with photos stored on a thumb-drive stored separately as a backup and for insurance purposes.

Never hurts to over document...

That is a good idea. :thumbsup:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I bought in PA prior to Oct 1 and live in MD do I need to do anything ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4
    Unless you moved here in the last couple of days, you don't need to do anything. New residents > 9/30 must register regulated guns (handguns) within 90 days of establishing residency. If you have a banned rifle, you are screwgeed and can't bring it in to MD, I believe.

But isn't the burden of proof on the state to prove that it was purchased AFTER October 1st?

I only ask because I'm currently stationed in Ohio and purchased a lower receiver last year with cash. I don't have a receipt for it, so would I be able to bring it back to Maryland if I ever get stationed back there?
    The burden of proof IS on the state, but they have deep pockets with which to f&ck with you.

I myself wouldn't worry about it, just don't build a rifle with 2 or more banned features (folding stock, grenade launcher ....) and you should be okay.

IANAL

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD

I believe you would be. Since you're in the military you never really have to establish "residency" in MD.

Just had a friend last week buy an AK47 in PA and bring it to MD. He is a PA resident thus why he could buy it in PA but is stationed here in MD. Now since this all happened before 01 OCT he didn't have to register it. Now they have a requirement of registration and I am not sure what all that involves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom