• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Here's something interesting for everyone to absorb:
    I was in a gun store yesterday and a MD. State Trooper walked in the door. She got the call for her LRWC Magpul optioned M6 (Schweet - the one with the "twisted barrel".).
    I said, "You mean to tell me that YOU have to wait on the 7 day rule?" She said, "Yes, unless one can use the firearm as a 'service weapon' while on duty". She continued, "We do not have any special privileges as LEO's for the purchase of private use firearms - some 'Brilliant Colonel' at the MSP, in his 'infinite' wisdom got that enacted some time ago. I have to wait just like everyone else. This one was 64 days, but I'm a happy camper today!" She did not appear very happy with the current time delays and understands how everyone feels about the wait for their ND.

Just thought I'd pass this 'insider information' along to let people know that they are not the only ones who have to suffer through this nonsense.

Back in the day, any police officer could walk their paperwork through. I can verify what you mentioned about Troopers not getting special treatment as I have several waiting like everyone else for regulated guns.

Any law enforcement officer with an "Official Use Letter" on agency letter head, stating that the gun is for use on duty, as a back- up or as an agency approved off- duty carry gun can take regulated guns home on the spot, no wait.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Regarding licensing after 10/1/13, there have been unconfirmed reports that Omally is pushing these delays so that as many of them as possible are delivered after 10/1/13 and that any handgun that is transferred after 10/1/13 will require the purchaser to meet the new requirements before taking delivery. This has come from an attorney that is currently involved in a lot of schtuff going on behind the scenes. I am unable to confirm if 100% accurate.

I thought that the law said that is the paperwork as in before oct 1. That it wasn't subject to the new restrictions and procedures...

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I have stocked up on 9mm for the past 3 months and cant even shoot any of it. im just now starting to get upset. and each day it multiplies haha

Fortunately, I have a bunch of .40 I bought to run through my brother's gun that we never used up, so I'll have some ammo when/if I ever get a ND.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I thought that the law said that is the paperwork as in before oct 1. That it wasn't subject to the new restrictions and procedures...

Look here, note this applies to handguns only...

5–117.1.
    B) A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

So.... It appears that in order to conduct a handgun transfer after Oct 1 (irrespective of when the purchase occurred), the HQL is required. :(

The bill is here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/bills/sb/sb0281e.pdf

xcoastie

May 10, 2013

I've just gone through the published version of SB 281 again, and I can find no such exemption. Dealers with newly-banned "assault" rifles (NOT "assault" handguns) in stock on that date can sell them, and customers who have already ordered them are allowed to complete the purchases. The "handgun qualification license" requirements appear to go into effect on October 1st with no exceptions.

I'm not a lawyer, so that's just my reading of the bill. It's now a law, by the way, since it was signed on Thursday, May 16th.

I'll email my downloaded copy of SB 281, if anyone wants it. I found it online in PDF form. I no longer have the URL.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

5–117.1.
    B) A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

So.... It appears that in order to conduct a handgun transfer after Oct 1 (irrespective of when the purchase occurred), the HQL is required. :(

Sounds like a lawsuit to me. People are filing their paperwork in full compliance with current law, and the State is failing to process in accordance with State law...in order to further harass and extort money from law-abiding citizens.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Sounds like a lawsuit to me. People are filing their paperwork in full compliance with current law, and the State is failing to process in accordance with State law...in order to further harass and extort money, further background checks and submission of fingerprints from law-abiding citizens to complete a sale that was well within the allotted time for the State to respond.

FIFY. :)

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz
    I agree with you that there are plenty of other pieces we can buy to have fun and protect ourselves with.

But what you're saying smacks of Dianne Feinstein's comment of "we didn't ban" x, y, and z guns.

What they left for us this time around, will be taken from us the next time around.

This gun grab is coming in stages. This is just the first stage.

Don't be drawn into the "we still have" mentality. That's what they want.

Just my .02

110% correct. It's called CREEPING LIBERALISM or INCREMENTAL LIBERALISM. Like the frog in the slowly heated pot of water. "We just want x!". Then the next self-made crisis it will be " We just want y! It's for the children!" And so on until you get to their REAL goal from the beginning: " Give us all your guns. We are starting the confiscation now!". Mark my words and stay vigilant to this practice. The Liberals use it non stop to strip our freedoms and rights away little by little. The Founding Father would weep if they saw how we've mangled their Masterpiece: The Constitution.

Scarab

clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    I have stocked up on 9mm for the past 3 months and cant even shoot any of it. im just now starting to get upset. and each day it multiplies haha

same boat x 2!

Been waiting 32 days so far for my M9 and that's on top of the 31 days it took for Baretta to ship one to my FFL... but I've been collecting ammo for it for since around November... and I have a plethora of 9mm ammo and magazines for someone that doesn't own a gun to put it in... yet :innocent0

I also have a metric bunch of 7.62 ammo and magazines that won't fit in anything else I currently own... enough so that when I saw a box of Winchester WB in WM this morning, I passed on it! $30 for 40 rounds is too rich for my blood! :puke: ...maybe if I haven't been waiting 63 days so far for the AK...:indiffere

Daffydek

Apr 24, 2013
    ammo purchased--check. Extra mag's--yup. Actual handgun in my paws---NOPE, still in review....70 days and counting. tick tock tick tock tick tock

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County

5–117.1.

I just spoke to my FFL. They said that If the papework hasn't been submitted yes. For example none collectors that purchase something and can't submit till after October 1. Yes I know you can submit before the 30 days you just have to fill out the form differently, but some FFLs don't want you to do that. But as long as you have submitted your Paperwork to the state it doesn't apply but... I can see how the state might try with that wording.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Sounds like a lawsuit to me. People are filing their paperwork in full compliance with current law, and the State is failing to process in accordance with State law...in order to further harass and extort money from law-abiding citizens.

See but by law the transfer takes place at the time you fill out the paperwork. They can't legally apply SB281 retroactively to transfers that begin before the Law is in effect. Albeit they might try anyway

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    same boat x 2!

Been waiting 32 days so far for my M9 and that's on top of the 31 days it took for Baretta to ship one to my FFL... but I've been collecting ammo for it for since around November... and I have a plethora of 9mm ammo and magazines for someone that doesn't own a gun to put it in... yet :innocent0

I also have a metric bunch of 7.62 ammo and magazines that won't fit in anything else I currently own... enough so that when I saw a box of Winchester WB in WM this morning, I passed on it! $30 for 40 rounds is too rich for my blood! :puke: ...maybe if I haven't been waiting 63 days so far for the AK...:indiffere

I feel you pain I have X00 round for 2 hand guns that I don't have yet. And XX00 rounds of 5.56 and 223 for a rifle and pistol I don't have.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    I've just gone through the published version of SB 281 again, and I can find no such exemption. Dealers with newly-banned "assault" rifles (NOT "assault" handguns) in stock on that date can sell them, and customers who have already ordered them are allowed to complete the purchases. The "handgun qualification license" requirements appear to go into effect on October 1st with no exceptions.

I'm not a lawyer, so that's just my reading of the bill. It's now a law, by the way, since it was signed on Thursday, May 16th.

I'll email my downloaded copy of SB 281, if anyone wants it. I found it online in PDF form. I no longer have the URL.

I was speaking to the employees at Bart's about this yesterday. According to them, anything they have a PO on prior to October 1 they can sell. Meaning if they buy a bunch of rifles that meet the ban criteria in September but they don't arrive until November they can still legally sell them to MD residents. They did say that the handgun permit will extend to regulated rifles. Yes, that is right, you will have to go through the handgun qualification process to purchase regulated RIFLES. Of course it could still change between now and October 1 so we'll just have to wait and see.

Faderhaus

Mar 11, 2013
    Back in the day, any police officer could walk their paperwork through. I can verify what you mentioned about Troopers not getting special treatment as I have several waiting like everyone else for regulated guns.

Any law enforcement officer with an "Official Use Letter" on agency letter head, stating that the gun is for use on duty, as a back- up or as an agency approved off- duty carry gun can take regulated guns home on the spot, no wait.

Yes, and I am sure it was true - Back in the day. However, a trooper cannot use that same process to procure a regulated firearm that cannot be for use on duty, as back up, or as an approved off-duty carry weapon.

However, an interesting point. If the trooper has a signed authorization letter of approval, they can purchase a 30 rnd magazine for their personal use AR15's. :sign01:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom