Letter to Baltimore Sun - read and give criticism before I send it, please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    Even read the board "Freedom Hating Politicians". Nobody is "Freedom Hating", everybody just has a different opinion on what it is.
    That sort of language was my own emotional, gut reaction to the mention of the Brady Bunch in the Sun's article. It will absolutely not be in the final version!
    Excellent article!
    Pleas post final copy.
    I would love to send it along to friends and family.
    I will edit the original post to show the original version and the most current version as soon as I can get through it. Definitely feel free to use it if you feel it will open someone's mind!

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Good stuff!

Just my $0.02. I'd suggest that you drop the reference to the "Wild West." It's already been shown that the "Wild West" was a Hollywood creation. Crime statistics back then were far lower than many towns and cities across the US today. It may even be argued that widespread carry of firearms actually helped keep peace and order when police presence was minimal.

RAJay

Mar 8, 2011
    The Dena
    My comment would be around the use of "pass the test"

Non-gun owners might think there is a literal exam for which you must take.

Maybe use "meets the requirements for..."

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    My comment would be around the use of "pass the test"

Non-gun owners might think there is a literal exam for which you must take.

Maybe use "meets the requirements for..."

Good stuff!

Just my $0.02. I'd suggest that you drop the reference to the "Wild West." It's already been shown that the "Wild West" was a Hollywood creation. Crime statistics back then were far lower than many towns and cities across the US today. It may even be argued that widespread carry of firearms actually helped keep peace and order when police presence was minimal.
    Good points.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    "*Handgun-related crime by permit holders accounts for the tiniest fraction of gun crime; less than 1 percent. *This is a fact, which can be verified by anyone from the FBI's crime statistics."

unless you are going to cite the actual source of the statistic, I don't think you should use it. I would say something general like:
    "Handgun related crimes committed by permit holders are extremely rare"

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    "*Handgun-related crime by permit holders accounts for the tiniest fraction of gun crime; less than 1 percent. *This is a fact, which can be verified by anyone from the FBI's crime statistics."

unless you are going to cite the actual source of the statistic, I don't think you should use it. I would say something general like:
    "Handgun related crimes committed by permit holders are extremely rare"
    I would love to include the actual statistic. I remember reading some of the testimony for the case. I believe Texas was the state the question was framed around. Anyone know offhand where I could get an actual statistic without too much trouble? Time is limited, I want to get this letter off while the article in the Sun is still fresh.

If I can't get an actual statistic, I agree I should remove anything quantitative and replace it with a general, but true, statement. Thanks for the feedback!

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Results so far. You can still vote.

Handgun permit ruling
    A federal judge ruled that Maryland's law requiring applicants for permits to carry a handgun to demonstrate "good and substantial reason" violates the Second Amendment. Do you agree?
    Yes (4570 responses)
    62%
    No (2762 responses)
    38%
    Not sure (22 responses)
    0%
    7354 total responses
    (Results not scientific)

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    The motivation for carrying a gun is simply self defense. *If the unthinkable should happen, it gives the carrier an option other than bwing helpless and victimized. *It allows the carrier to protect themselves and their family, should the need arise. *The alternative is just hoping that you never find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. *Police officers won't be there when you need them. They come later to document and investigate. *Your own protection is up to you and you alone. *When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or longer. *In addition, law-abiding citizens carrying handguns passively deter crime. *No one ever has to know someone is carrying a gun for this to happen. *The simple fact that the law allows anyone who is inclined to carry a handgun to do so is all it takes. *It makes all but the most unstable criminals think twice. *They are less bold, less ready to strike, because they know they may not have the upper hand. *It is common sense. *If you were going to target someone for a crime, would you prefer an armed target?

OP, one typo highlighted above in red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom