• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    We stay in FL seasonally, and would be back in MD by now except for the current situation. Several websites indicated that as MD resident I should be able to buy a long gun but not a hand gun. I tried to buy a rifle this weekend, and was told that Maryland was not on the list of approved states. This correct or is the shop being extra cautious?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I’m in Florida trying to buy a rifle here as a Maryland resident, no shipping involved. The shop didn’t indicate that there was an issue with type, heck I would be happy with a shotgun. They did say if I had property here that, that would make a difference, but we are currently renting.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Shouldn't be an issue with a long gun and not an evil assault weapon or removable magazine >10 rounds (they may not understand that MD can buy those out of state).

Probably the shop is gun shy because of the mismash of firearms laws that is MD and/or they've gotten hate mail from frosh re selling XYZ to Marylanders.

IANAL

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    We stay in FL seasonally, and would be back in MD by now except for the current situation. Several websites indicated that as MD resident I should be able to buy a long gun but not a hand gun. I tried to buy a rifle this weekend, and was told that Maryland was not on the list of approved states. This correct or is the shop being extra cautious?

Is this a large chain or a single location?

If they have a 'list' of approved states to sell to, that sounds like something management came up with as a policy, its not from any official source.

Translation... this list of states has no restrictions, or a few that are simple to understand, so we will sell to residents of them.

I can't really blame them... who wants to keep up with all the laws for NY, NJ, CA, MD, etc.. and trust that their employees aren't going to mess up and sell a banned item?

Try another FFL.

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    I suspect that it was a shop policy, what wanted to check before I spent more time on it. I don’t blame the shop at all and was very polite. I’ll shop around. Thanks for the reply.

bbguns

Defend the Constitution
    Jan 28, 2010
    Heading to Free America
    Florida used to interpret their law as allowing long gun purchases to residents or adjacent states only. That was changed by then-Attorney General Pam Bondi about 10 years ago. Maybe that shop is basing it on old information? I still have a copy of her letter clarifying the law somewhere...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Try another FFL. It should be legal for you to buy any long gun as long as it is legal in both states.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Not sure what you're encountering or why exactly, but remember that as far as the Feds are concerned, your long gun purchase MUST be legal under BOTH Florida and Maryland law.

Attachments

• federal_state_firearms_regs_online.pdf
      158.3 KB · Views: 135

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Probably depends on the type of longarm. Shotgun, lever, bolt, probably gtg. Most semi’s sketchy, not because illegal, but not worth the possible trouble.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    There was a thread on this a while ago which I stated what happened to me. I went on vacation last October and drove to Arizona, stopped at gun stores on the way out and back in every state we went through except Virginia and none of them would sell a shotgun or bolt rifle to a Maryland or Delaware resident. I ask all of them why and was told that the atf sent a letter to them stating that they couldn't sell any firearms to Maryland, Delaware, or NJ residents. I read the paper and it had the atf header on it. Buds gun shop in Tennessee was the only one that would sell me a shotgun but it had to be sent to Maryland ffl.

usaborn_01

Feb 23, 2020
    I ran into this in PA in Feb, stopped in a Wal-Mart, I believe it was Hanover but can't remember. I was just checking what ammo they and and got in a conversation with the guy running the sporting goods counter. He mentioned that he'd had people coming from MD hoping to buy a long gun and he had to tell them that he wasn't allowed to sell and had to send them away empty handed. I didn't get into why, but I guess the same thing.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I ran into this in PA in Feb, stopped in a Wal-Mart, I believe it was Hanover but can't remember. I was just checking what ammo they and and got in a conversation with the guy running the sporting goods counter. He mentioned that he'd had people coming from MD hoping to buy a long gun and he had to tell them that he wasn't allowed to sell and had to send them away empty handed. I didn't get into why, but I guess the same thing.

That is a corporate policy of Walmart. It is not law.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    A friend of mine took me to his local Rural King and they had great prices on firearms. Rural King is like a hybrid of Tractor Supply and a giant Walmart. They will sell you pistols but it has to through an FFL.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    I tried to buy a Mini 14 that was on blowout pricing at a Walmart in Florida. I was told not allowed to sell to out of state customers. Stopped by a local shop nearby and was told new policy in Florida due to Parkland. Didn't try to confirm past that conversation.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...tate-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase

May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a firearm in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

Last Reviewed August 31, 2015

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Early 2014 we went to Disney and visited Brother-in-Law living in Windermere, Florida. Went to local WalMart and the guy working the firearm section, was a retired school teacher from Montgomery County. During our BS session we talked about the impact of the MD Oct 2013 firearm law. He said since the passing of that law, Walmart issued a bulletin. He showed me the bulletin, stating anyone from Maryland regardless of what firearm they purchase, must be shipped to MD FFL.

Don't know if that is still in effect, but it wouldn't surprise me.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Doesn't help your situation OP, but wouldn't it make your life easier if you were a FL resident who lived part time in MD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom