• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Dug this out of the gun safe...my dad made this knife during WWII. He worked at the Washington Navy Yard as a machinist in the "Big Gun" Shop...he worked on breech mechanisms. He made this out of scrap materials...the blade is made from a worn file. The parts to the handle are from bakelite, some wood and aluminum. He used to point which washer was made from what material. Since everyone was searched when leaving work every shift he didn't think he could get it out. He said his supervisor saw it and drove him out of the Navy Yard with it as he and his car weren't searched.

My dad eventually gifted it to my older brother as he was the knife collector and after he passed away unexpectedly his wife gave it to me.
    Daddy-s-knife.jpg

That’s beautiful, your father was very talented. What a cool piece of family history.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Wha?!

Dug this out of the gun safe...my dad made this knife during WWII. He worked at the Washington Navy Yard as a machinist in the "Big Gun" Shop...he worked on breech mechanisms. He made this out of scrap materials...the blade is made from a worn file. The parts to the handle are from bakelite, some wood and aluminum. He used to point which washer was made from what material. Since everyone was searched when leaving work every shift he didn't think he could get it out. He said his supervisor saw it and drove him out of the Navy Yard with it as he and his car weren't searched.

My dad eventually gifted it to my older brother as he was the knife collector and after he passed away unexpectedly his wife gave it to me.
    Daddy-s-knife.jpg

Dude.......... awesome

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If anyone goes to the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard...the building the Museum is in is the old "Big Gun" Shop where my dad worked. Some of the equipment used is still in place due to its size. It's an awesome museum and a bit of a secret in DC...not that well travelled. Lots of great artifacts...a casing from an atomic bomb like dropped on Hiroshima...a F4U Corsair suspended from the ceiling...a mangled machine gun from a Japanese Zero shot down over Pearl Harbor...a genuine Nazi "Enigma" code machine...and much, much more. You can go in the submarine room and look through periscope and view DC through them.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    If anyone goes to the Navy Museum at the Washington Navy Yard...the building the Museum is in is the old "Big Gun" Shop where my dad worked. Some of the equipment used is still in place due to its size. It's an awesome museum and a bit of a secret in DC...not that well travelled. Lots of great artifacts...a casing from an atomic bomb like dropped on Hiroshima...a F4U Corsair suspended from the ceiling...a mangled machine gun from a Japanese Zero shot down over Pearl Harbor...a genuine Nazi "Enigma" code machine...and much, much more. You can go in the submarine room and look through periscope and view DC through them.

Whaaaaaaattt?

How did I never know about this!?

Sir, I am in your debt. Making plans soon.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Here's some S&W Knives that are older, were made n USA. I found a display case on eBay not too long ago, and so this is a new "Crown Jewel" in my meager collection...
    SisZC3y.jpg

And my local deli, bait shop and gun store went out of business several years ago, so I snagged their Buck display case for a modest price, and filled it with these that I had laying around...
    QIadSJd.jpg

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Stock removal or forged from nothing?

Been wondering if you participated in this thread since we spoke the other day. Now I know.

Forged from bar stock. Yea, it was great meeting you. I do stock removal stuff as well it all depends. My goal is to start doing mosaic Damascus billets and then stock removal from there to keep the patterns integrity.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    I picked up these three today at York.

Attachments

• balisong 2.jpg
      balisong 2.jpg
      135.5 KB · Views: 395

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Would you sell one of the balisongs? I’ve been trying to get my filipina wife to have her brother send me one for the longest. Pm me. Thanks

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Sweet! Philippine originals, I bet you got them from my friend Ben, he always has cool stuff.

Most likely if he is the guy that always has the Thai knives and the insects. I always stop by his tables because he does have a lot of cool stuff. He had a really nice Punyal dagger that I hesitated on at a prior show and regret not buying when I had the chance.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Most likely if he is the guy that always has the Thai knives and the insects. I always stop by his tables because he does have a lot of cool stuff. He had a really nice Punyal dagger that I hesitated on at a prior show and regret not buying when I had the chance.

Yup that's him, he's gotten way too much of my money over the last few years. :thumbsup:

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Yup that's him, he's gotten way too much of my money over the last few years. :thumbsup:

I can always find something interesting his tables. Whether knives, jade trinkets or the various insects he has on display it is always worth the visit. Fair prices too.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Picked up a new blade

Attachments

• 137B5581-AFF3-40D1-8347-51FECBFCC3C8.jpg
      137B5581-AFF3-40D1-8347-51FECBFCC3C8.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 324
    • 159EA1FD-7829-45CE-815D-A0A433ACDE49.jpeg
      159EA1FD-7829-45CE-815D-A0A433ACDE49.jpeg
      81.2 KB · Views: 308
    • C196EE09-4A97-43FE-8A60-5DD42A66A9AA.jpeg