Even LE are now reduced to smaller magazines, CRAZY!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    So - would this also apply to off duty Federal agents in NJ? Off duty Port Authority?

This applies to any cop in the country.

Seriously, what LEO is going to arrest another LEO for carrying with a standard magazine?

This is Fake News!

These arrests will happen. If VA State Police will impound a cruiser and arrest the drivwr for speeding (they have), NJ will arrest officers for this.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Maybe this will at least slow down some of the police chiefs supporting the BS bills coming up in Analpolis.

Might be a good idea to pose certain questions to them now while they can see the law could go against them as well. On record of course. Could MSI get answers on a more professional level than the lowly citizen?

Possibly a good time to go on the offensive. Have gun owners ever been on the offense?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    They are apparently working on emergency legislation to exempt law enforcement. Perhaps if more law enforcement were restricted to the same gun laws we are, they might be more vocal proponents of fewer ridiculous gun laws for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Two thoughts here...

Police unions are usually the only public service unions to reliably endorse Republicans. Democratically controlled legislatures know that. They're not generally inclined to make concessions. NJ has a union called the PBA. I think they're only in NJ and I don't know their political views.

Police chiefs are overwhelmingly politicians. Their viewpoints are told to them and should never be confused with representing the real opinions of their officers.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    awesome

This applies to any cop in the country.

These arrests will happen. If VA State Police will impound a cruiser and arrest the drivwr for speeding (they have), NJ will arrest officers for this.

..and they shall begin to eat their own.... choke on it, unlike Little Oral Annie

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Seriously, what LEO is going to arrest another LEO for carrying with a standard magazine?

This is Fake News!

I would expect any LEO worth their salt to enforce this law equally across the board regardless of the offenders occupation.

I too used to think there were 2 different worlds when it comes to the enforcing of laws in the country. But the err in my thoughts was corrected here on this informative forum.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

This is Fake News!

Indubitably

a5f9a11a03d8227df09742babd4a9a0e.jpg

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    LEOs, as well as the average citizen should have the best available to protect themselves as loved ones. Very few LEOs I know disagree with this.

However, like some non LEOs I know, some have extreme opinions regarding private gun ownership. That includes magazine capacity, types of of guns and carry laws. It's one thing when I have my mother in law giving me a hard time about it. It's a whole different ball game when people in a position of being the exception to the rule try and argue the point.

I had a Moco officer tell me at a party that he firmly believes that citizens shouldn't have access to guns. They should be banned. He would fully support a ban AND enforce it. His words...not mine. He said that many officers that work with him agree with that.

I actually don't believe that last part. I believe the vast majority of LEOs are pro 2A. It is disturbing that he would say it with such conviction. It's a shame.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

I had a Moco officer tell me at a party that he firmly believes that citizens shouldn't have access to guns. They should be banned. He would fully support a ban AND enforce it. His words...not mine. He said that many officers that work with him agree with that.

I actually don't believe that last part. I believe the vast majority of LEOs are pro 2A. It is disturbing that he would say it with such conviction. It's a shame.

Steroid abusers in all walks of life ...

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Ask the officer if he will unilaterally disarm when off duty, on vacation, at retirement. When he says "no", tell him he is an ordinary citizen at those times and he should set a disarmament example for others to follow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Driving 81 mph is a Misdemeanor Offense in VA. OK - If an off duty LEO is engaged in otherwise unlawful activity, I could see them getting this added on to their charges...

I would expect any LEO worth their salt to enforce this law equally across the board regardless of the offenders occupation.

Again, an off duty LEO is going to have to be involved in some other criminal activity before this is going to be a chargeable offense. I just don't see a LEO getting charged for bringing his normal service weapon to a courthouse while attending to personal business.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Driving 81 mph is a Misdemeanor Offense in VA. OK - If an off duty LEO is engaged in otherwise unlawful activity, I could see them getting this added on to their charges...

Again, an off duty LEO is going to have to be involved in some other criminal activity before this is going to be a chargeable offense. I just don't see a LEO getting charged for bringing his normal service weapon to a courthouse while attending to personal business.
    Evidently you haven't heard of Baltimore's Marilyn Mosby...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    LEOs, as well as the average citizen should have the best available to protect themselves as loved ones. Very few LEOs I know disagree with this.

However, like some non LEOs I know, some have extreme opinions regarding private gun ownership. That includes magazine capacity, types of of guns and carry laws. It's one thing when I have my mother in law giving me a hard time about it. It's a whole different ball game when people in a position of being the exception to the rule try and argue the point.

It wouldn't surprise me at all a lot of MoCo cops held that view.

How many carry permits would DC be handing out if may issue? Look at Maryland right now how hard it is to get a carry permit and that is all MSP choice. Many police departments in New England area are very pro on gun restrictions as well.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    You're right, of course. I didn't expect my post would be popular, but I stand by it. LEOs are in what I consider to be a much higher risk category than most of us, and they are expected to intercede in crimes they witness, even if they're off duty.

I agree that we ALL should have the ability to choose what we carry and how we protect ourselves. But until the SC rules that to be the case, we live in a world of double standards. Just because I am denied the right to carry for self defense by my state government, I don't hold it against the LEOs who might one day come to my aid, and who definitely come to the aid of others every day.

I would carry a cop, but they're too heavy...

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Two thoughts here...

Police unions are usually the only public service unions to reliably endorse Republicans. Democratically controlled legislatures know that. They're not generally inclined to make concessions. NJ has a union called the PBA. I think they're only in NJ and I don't know their political views.

Police chiefs are overwhelmingly politicians. Their viewpoints are told to them and should never be confused with representing the real opinions of their officers.

Unless something has changed, the PBA is also the union for NYPD rank and file officers.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I've heard her conviction rate is similar to the Orioles 2018 season. :)
    While this is true, a prosecutor with an upcoming election and an agenda just might want to prosecute...

It seems they don't look at the long-term consequences, if any. Ask Mike Nifong...

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    They are apparently working on emergency legislation to exempt law enforcement. Perhaps if more law enforcement were restricted to the same gun laws we are, they might be more vocal proponents of fewer ridiculous gun laws for all.

Another instance of badly written legislation. They didn't mean what the law says so now they have to change it. "Have to pass the law to see what is in it!"

Legislators have a job legislate but they can't even do that right.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom