• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Suppressor for M&P Compact .22

I've bought a M&P Compact .22 with threaded barrel. So now i have a host for a suppressor and want to make an informed purchase. I've started reading articles at sites like silencer shop for the process of buying. What i'm hoping to get here are recommendations or warnings for specific suppressors and ammo.

I've seen something called a suppressor kiosk, anyone use one?

Are Trusts the way to go?

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I have a dead air mask hd that I run on my m&p 22c. I love it. There is very little first round pop and it is really quiet. There is no need to change the sights as the factory sights clear the can.
    It is rated for 22lr, 22mag, 17hmr, 5.7x28, and I believe one or two more rimfire calibers. The silencer co sparrow is another one I was looking heavily at and it seems to have a big fan base.

Trusts have their advantages, including allowing access to the NFA item by the people listed on the trust. They also allowed you to avoid having to get the LEO approval that was a thing before, but now that's no longer a problem as you only have to "notify" the head LEO of your region, usually MSP.

Silencershop has the kiosk you are referring to. Several IPs have them, I have not used one.

I have 3 NFA items now and I filed individually instead of trust. The wait times were significantly longer for trusts than for individuals. I don't let anyone use my stuff unless I'm present so a trust was basically pointless for me.

As for recommendations, I have one suppressor from Yankee Hill and one from Silencerco, and love them both. A family member has a 22 suppressor from AAC. The next on my list is the Silencerco Warlock most likely.

There are so many different ways to go with manufacturer, direct thread vs adapter(pretty sure almost all 22 are direct thread), the material used for the body of the suppressor, and whether they are end user serviceable.

Your best bet, is find a dealer near you with NFA stuff and they'll be able to guide you however you want to go. If you're in Severn then you're very close the 2A sales, an IP on here in Jessup. Start there, just go by, they don't bite unless you specifically ask.

As far as warnings? You get what you pay for as always.

Do not use Loctite on muzzle threads, and make sure that your barrel is aligned with your suppressor correctly. A baffle strike or worse is not something you want to deal with.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Lot of good ones out there, one thing some
    forget to mention with 22 suppressors is the ease of cleaning them as they get dirty quick compared to others..Some are monocore with several baffles and it’s ease of dissembly and re-assemble.. Warranty is also a big one along with weight since most 22’s are rather light

I have a monocore Gemtech GM-22 waiting, and looking at a SilencerCo switchback, sparrow or Q Erector, Bowers bitty, and Dead Air mask are all in the running for a secondary rimfire can

Good video here showing a few

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't feel you need to be dragged into buying an expensive suppressor for your .22. I've got a Radical Firearms RFSS22. It cost $200 and is pretty damned quiet. My Savage 16" bolt gun sounds like a BB gun with supersonic ammo. With subs, all you hear is the trigger/firing pin strike.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Yup, been to 2a a few times, don't know why i didn't think of them. The nearest Powered By Silencer Shop is Gun Metal in millersville and had not even heard of them before.

Don't feel you need to be dragged into buying an expensive suppressor for your .22. I've got a Radical Firearms RFSS22. It cost $200 and is pretty damned quiet. My Savage 16" bolt gun sounds like a BB gun with supersonic ammo. With subs, all you hear is the trigger/firing pin strike.

Along those lines is also Rebel Silencers and "Q" I'd say is right above that in price point.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Lot of good ones out there, one thing some
    forget to mention with 22 suppressors is the ease of cleaning them as they get dirty quick compared to others..Some are monocore with several baffles and it’s ease of dissembly and re-assemble.. Warranty is also a big one along with weight since most 22’s are rather light

I have a monocore Gemtech GM-22 waiting, and looking at a SilencerCo switchback, sparrow or Q Erector, Bowers bitty, and Dead Air mask are all in the running for a secondary rimfire can

Good video here showing a few

So is 100-120 about what to expect? that seems kind of high if you take into account a jet taking off is 150 and thunder is 120? Am i missing something here?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    So is 100-120 about what to expect? that seems kind of high if you take into account a jet taking off is 150 and thunder is 120? Am i missing something here?

The testing I believe is standard 22lr which is typically 1100ish FPS one of the highest out there being CCI velocitor is upward of about 1500fps (aka loudest crack)

You can get CCI quiet and hover around 70-80db which is extremely quiet you’ll hear the trigger/pin and target hit over that. But it’s not much for accuracy beyond 20-25yrds at only 700ish FPS

110-115db is pretty quiet and about as good as it gets with 22lr supersonic ammo. Probably find some good ammo that sits right below 1000fps if you’re looking for a bit of dB reduction with little more range that CCI quiet

As for price the deals are definitely out there just have to look around and be patient that’s all.
    Also if you’re in the market for a 30 cal can a lot of companies run a deal for a free rimfire can with purchase. I believe dead Air, silencerco and some
    others have run a similar promo recently also SilencerShop has a couple similar deals on select cans every so often

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I've bought a M&P Compact .22 with threaded barrel. So now i have a host for a suppressor and want to make an informed purchase. I've started reading articles at sites like silencer shop for the process of buying. What i'm hoping to get here are recommendations or warnings for specific suppressors and ammo.

So, I'll do this backward and give you specific recommendations first. I own a Dead Air Mask HD that I bought like two years ago, and if I were buying a rimfire can today, it would be the Rugged Oculus, followed by the Mask HD in a close second.

With rimfire cans, my general advice is (usually) to just buy the best one on the market. The very cheapest ones (that are worth anything) are about $200, and the most expensive awesome ones are about $400. Given that you have to pay a $200 tax on them and that most of us want a suppressor to be a "lifetime" purchase, just buy the best one. With any of the top end ones, you can run them on any rimfire host and certain centerfire hosts too (you can use the Mask or the Oculus or other top ones on a P90 or anything else in 5.7, for example) should you ever want to.

The BIG thing to look for in rimfire cans is what the baffle stack is made of and the ease of cleaning, because rimfire cans get DIRTY, and when they get dirty they often have lead deposits on the baffles as opposed to just carbon, and that's harder to clean. You can't put aluminum baffles in an ultrasonic cleaner or a tumbler, but hardened stainless you can.

A good warranty is important on any suppressor, and that's one of the things I like about Rugged. They have an absolutely no questions asked ironclad one.

As far as specific ammo.... It doesn't really matter. Anything that's subsonic will be quieter, but a lot of .22 is subsonic. Ideally you want a copper washed bullet as they're slightly cleaner, but I've shot all kinds of stuff through my can. CCI Standards are subsonic and work great, and I love the Eley yellow box Target stuff as well, but I feed it bulk pack Federal or whatever just as often. CCI Quiets are silly quiet but they won't cycle most semi autos.

I've seen something called a suppressor kiosk, anyone use one?

That's a thing provided by SilencerShop that simplifies the paperwork and fingerprint process. The nice thing about shopping that way is that there are also no additional fees to pay. You go to silencershop.com and order what you want, and pick a dealer. Then you go to that dealer, do the magic at the Kiosk, and wait for ATF to do their stuff.

Are Trusts the way to go?

The only real advantage that a Trust has these days is the ability to allow others to access the items when you're not there (this includes having the combination to the safe where they are stored).

It seems like that might be loud, but there are differences in how a sound "sounds" if it's an impulse vs constant noise, and stuff like that. There are also a crapton of different ways that people measure dB on suppressors, and a crapton of different devices, some of which work better than others, so my advice there is that you shouldn't go "decibel hunting." Any of the good cans will be quite close to each other, so buy on the other features. As it is, if I shoot subsonic ammo with my Mask on a bolt rifle, it's about as loud as the firing pin hitting the round and that's it.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I will add the concept of first round pop or FRP. That is when the first shot is significantly louder than the subsequent shots due to the air in the can. Out of all the 22 cans I have used, mono core cans seem to be the worst at this. Look at the videos on youtube the articles. To me, a loud FRP is like kissing your sister. That said, there are plenty if quality cans with little or no FRP. SPectre II, Mask, Occulous, are a couple.

Do you homework, don't go from price alone. Someone mentioned Radical cans, I know nothing about them or the company. SO i won't comment on them.

Don't forget is the cost of ink fingerprints and photos, unless you use the SS kiosk. The nice thing about the SS is they store the info and will submit everything for you on you next purchase from them. But, you can be limited to what the carry. If you purchase something from dealer stock, if the are a powered by dealer you can to use the SS to submit the f4, but there will be a minimal charge. I think around $35. That is on top of the stamp.

BTW, the most important thing of all is patience. It will 6 to 9 months before you can bring your new toy home....Buy it, do the paper work and forget about it for a while.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    What does the "first round pop" actually give away? The person or thing you're shooting never hears it. Only you, and it is still much quieter than naked muzzle blast.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    What does the "first round pop" actually give away? The person or thing you're shooting never hears it. Only you, and it is still much quieter than naked muzzle blast.

True, but its like a creaking floor board. Every time you (reload) walk into the to room there is a loud creak. :innocent0

Actually, I really can't stand FRP. Its still quieter than the naked blast, but having the first shot a lot louder than the rest is annoying as hell to me...

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Absolutely agree when it comes to cans price is literally dead last in my buying process for something I have to be married to and wait 6-12 months, pay $200 stamp and additional fees etc just to take ownership of. So the top latest/greatest at the time of purchase makes the most sense imo

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'll avoid repeating much of the (very good) advice above, but will echo the notion that it's not worth scrimping, considering the cost and time sink the whole process involves.

My rimfire can is a Rugged Oculus. I like that it can be configured shorter (and a bit louder) for less bulk. But in its full length configuration, it's not at all unwieldy. It's quiet, easy to clean, well made ... and indeed, just as they promise, FRP is essentially undetectable. Very happy with it. Did the transaction online with Silencer Shop, consummated the paperwork and prints with a local shop that had one of their kiosks. Other than the maddening wait, it was totally painless.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    True, but its like a creaking floor board. Every time you (reload) walk into the to room there is a loud creak. :innocent0

Actually, I really can't stand FRP. Its still quieter than the naked blast, but having the first shot a lot louder than the rest is annoying as hell to me...
    That's really it. FRP is bad when shooting heavy calibers though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Concur 100% with not going cheap. Having said that, consider what you are going to do with the can. Full auto rated = heavier. Rated for calibers other than .22LR = heavier. And a heavier can is a PITA stuck out on the front of a pistol. I'll add that if you have a particular itch for a can, scratch it...you will, eventually. I wanted one of the wet mini-cans for years, got talked out of it...and finally wound up with an AWC Titan 3.

The Silencer Shop kiosks are the way to go. It's one-stop shopping, no more finding someone/somewhere to do fingerprint cards or take passport photos. The kiosk takes care of everything.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Given a different situation to mine I would have made use of the single shot trusts from silencer shop. They could make transfer of the cans much easier in the future and all of your collection isn’t caught up on the same trust. I have a legal plan that paid for my NFA trust to be setup so I ended up using that instead.

Again, if I had everything to do over again, I would have picked a 22lr can that used a baffle stack instead of the mono core for no other reason but ease of cleaning. I have one of the newer checkmate QDs with the mono core and would have rather had the old version. The baffle stacks are easier to throw into a stainless steel tumbler and hit with a brush if nessisary. There are a lot less nooks and crannies that have to be cleaned out. I would prob grab the 22 lr Optimus since it gives a little more functionality and would use the same QD fittings as my Optimus 9.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've said this a few times before, but... I own both a cheap 22 suppressor (TI Tac65) and an expensive 22 suppressor (SiCo Sparrow SS), and TBH, I don't think of one as being all that much more awesome than the other. Aluminum 22lr cans are very nice on pistols, because you really notice that 3-4oz less weight out front, and you still have a nice long baffle stack to muffle the gas. But on rifles, I prefer something a little tougher, and the additional weight doesn't matter as much.

That said, if you're only buying one... the top-end modular cans from SiCo, Rugged, Dead Air, and Q are all pretty good.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Just fired my MP22 pistol (Walther variant) with SilencerCo Sparrow and Aguila Subsonic.

It was louder .... than my Savage TRSR surpressed but not by much.

You a member of a local range?

Kiosk is King. Individual is getting back in about 8 months. Trusts seem to be taking the back seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom