• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Got this two opening day on our property in West Virginia.

Attachments

• F4044910-6A82-4679-92F2-C0EB2E404C3F.jpg
      F4044910-6A82-4679-92F2-C0EB2E404C3F.jpg
      183.7 KB · Views: 344
    • 40606900-EF1F-463A-AE79-AD9D5A15BC4A.jpg
      40606900-EF1F-463A-AE79-AD9D5A15BC4A.jpg
      154 KB · Views: 359
    • F28F73AF-93E3-48B7-B8DA-32A40BD040CE.jpg
      F28F73AF-93E3-48B7-B8DA-32A40BD040CE.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 351

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The rut is still working. Only saw two deer this morning right at 10am. Doe came by being followed by a button buck. When they were 40 yards out he tried to mount her and she planted her front feet and donkey kicked him in the belly. :lol2: It was a big old slap sound. Walked by at ten yards. I whispered "See you in two weeks, Beyatch!" Couldn't shoot her today being hot. Walking the entire time with her tail out straight. He has his nose in there when she let him close enough.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On those who processor their own deer and/or quarter in the field (though is thing processing your own is good enough for suggestions) what about this knife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CF94L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I’ll get a knife protector. Not sure if I will carry it in my pack along with a heavy trash bag and paracord or if I will leave it in my car and plan to strap the quarters to my game cart. Greenridge kind of stinks for carts as steep as it is.

Or I might haul the deer back to my car and quarter it there if it is smaller.

Also I understand a dedicated grinder is best, but this attachment for a kitchen aid gets good reviews and all metal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DLN448F/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AVE1BKL3QOZ43&psc=1

My thoughts were get the knife and protector. If the quartered deer will fit in my cooler (it’s only like a 28 or 32qt) grab a bag of ice on the way out of Greenridge it the nearest place that has some and throw the bag in with the deer. If it won’t fit, do the same, but just throw the bag of ice in the bag with it (then split it between my coolers when I get home (I’ve got a wee bitty 16-18qt cooler also)).

Next day debone it and slice up any steaks and vacuum seal them. Mostly cube it and put it in gallon bags and in to my freezer. Once frozen, grind it. It grinds better frozen, right? Or do I want it cold, but not frozen?

A bit of it is to save getting the grinder, ground meat bags and a sealer for if I actually get a deer. Cubed meat isn’t going to take up much more space than ground meat will.

If I don’t have the freezer space, keep it on ice in my cooler for the couple of days it takes to get the grinder and bags. most of my next deer is going to my neighbor. After loading the chickens we got back from the butcher in my freezers (11 of them and ate one last night) I’ve got maybe room for backstraps and another 8-10lbs or ground meat.

Any thoughts? I am a bit stingy and would rather only drop the $70-80 on the grinder attachment, sealer and bags for if I do get a deer. The knife I am sure I’ll use on tons of other stuff even if I am not quartering a deer with it.

For me Greenridge is a bit unique. CWD area and the closest certified butcher is 2.5hrs round trip for me. Also steep hills/mountains. If I get a deer near me unless it was some monster I could drag or cart it out and take it to the processor near me (20 minutes from my house and they do an awesome job). Eastern shore I’d likely do the same thing, just drive it home (with some ice) and drop it at my processor. So Greenridge is almost certainly quartering deer from now on. But if I don’t get one, I’ve got no reason to get a grinder and bags.

I mean, some day just to try it I’ll quarter a deer. But I don’t have a burning desire to.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    On those who processor their own deer and/or quarter in the field (though is thing processing your own is good enough for suggestions) what about this knife.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000CF94L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I’ll get a knife protector. Not sure if I will carry it in my pack along with a heavy trash bag and paracord or if I will leave it in my car and plan to strap the quarters to my game cart. Greenridge kind of stinks for carts as steep as it is.

Or I might haul the deer back to my car and quarter it there if it is smaller.

Also I understand a dedicated grinder is best, but this attachment for a kitchen aid gets good reviews and all metal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DLN448F/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AVE1BKL3QOZ43&psc=1

My thoughts were get the knife and protector. If the quartered deer will fit in my cooler (it’s only like a 28 or 32qt) grab a bag of ice on the way out of Greenridge it the nearest place that has some and throw the bag in with the deer. If it won’t fit, do the same, but just throw the bag of ice in the bag with it (then split it between my coolers when I get home (I’ve got a wee bitty 16-18qt cooler also)).

Next day debone it and slice up any steaks and vacuum seal them. Mostly cube it and put it in gallon bags and in to my freezer. Once frozen, grind it. It grinds better frozen, right? Or do I want it cold, but not frozen?

A bit of it is to save getting the grinder, ground meat bags and a sealer for if I actually get a deer. Cubed meat isn’t going to take up much more space than ground meat will.

If I don’t have the freezer space, keep it on ice in my cooler for the couple of days it takes to get the grinder and bags. most of my next deer is going to my neighbor. After loading the chickens we got back from the butcher in my freezers (11 of them and ate one last night) I’ve got maybe room for backstraps and another 8-10lbs or ground meat.

Any thoughts? I am a bit stingy and would rather only drop the $70-80 on the grinder attachment, sealer and bags for if I do get a deer. The knife I am sure I’ll use on tons of other stuff even if I am not quartering a deer with it.

For me Greenridge is a bit unique. CWD area and the closest certified butcher is 2.5hrs round trip for me. Also steep hills/mountains. If I get a deer near me unless it was some monster I could drag or cart it out and take it to the processor near me (20 minutes from my house and they do an awesome job). Eastern shore I’d likely do the same thing, just drive it home (with some ice) and drop it at my processor. So Greenridge is almost certainly quartering deer from now on. But if I don’t get one, I’ve got no reason to get a grinder and bags.

I mean, some day just to try it I’ll quarter a deer. But I don’t have a burning desire to.

That knife is perfect. My dad was a butcher for 40 years and thats what he gave me to use. The key is to hold it like a butcher not someone who’s just working in the kitchen. Hold it like your going to stab something when taking meat off the bone and you’ll be better off.

As for the Kitchen Aid, most people will say they are not suited for this work. I’ve ground hundreds of pounds of venison with my Kitchen Aid and its just fine. Just keep your speed slow (speed setting 4) and dont overlod it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Awesome!

Should I be fine with the quarters on ice in a cooler for 12-36hrs, cube it, freeze for a day or two in gallon bags and then let it partly defrost and then run it through a grinder?

Thanks!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Your meat will be fine in the fridge or cooler for a week or more as long as you keep it under 40° and get it there as quick as you can.

I have found these knifes from Rada and they are thin like like afillet knife and sharp and stay sharp and are affordable. I started with the Cook utility knife at home and its everyone's prefered knife to use in the kitchen now. Here is a sportsmens knife. I just bought the butcher knife I wish they made a sportsmens model with a drop point like this but with only a 3" blade becuase that is all you need.

IMO, those long pointy knife are just as likely to poke or cut you while working as getting the job done. A small drop pointed skinning knife is what I use and recommend. I also use cut resistant gloves only on my left hand. They wash out really good when you are done.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks! Great ideas.

I am hoping I can still make it. Been recovering from a cold and had some really nasty phlegm last 24hrs. It’ll probably clear in time. Also eyeing that weather with its 35% chance of flurries or snow Saturday.

I am 90% I’ll go.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    Been chasing this dude all season. Lots of trail cam pics and finally got it done this morning.

Attachments

• 3FCC8024-6824-4504-9CE8-9DC3A2B19269.jpg
      3FCC8024-6824-4504-9CE8-9DC3A2B19269.jpg
      63.2 KB · Views: 356

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Been chasing this dude all season. Lots of trail cam pics and finally got it done this morning.

Congrats! It's fun chasing one particular deer throughout a season. I did that last year and finally connected on Dec 29th. No better feeling. :thumbsup:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Congrats! It's fun chasing one particular deer throughout a season. I did that last year and finally connected on Dec 29th. No better feeling. :thumbsup:

I've found that it's the only real way I have excitement for a hunting season anymore, which kinda sucks for me. I don't get as excited as I used to, so cameras go out late, don't get out for the first month (or two this year), but if I have a big guy on camera, I'm all gung-ho.

Bagged me a doe last night. It's my first harvest of the year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've found that it's the only real way I have excitement for a hunting season anymore, which kinda sucks for me. I don't get as excited as I used to, so cameras go out late, don't get out for the first month (or two this year), but if I have a big guy on camera, I'm all gung-ho.

Bagged me a doe last night. It's my first harvest of the year.
    What's funny about me, I see a big buck headed my way and I know I'm going to get a shot at him, I'm cool as a cucumber. I'm on autopilot. No buck fever.
    I decide to take a doe, I get friggin rattled! I don't know what it is. I usually make the shot. It's just way more exciting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Picked him up today. Turned out Great!

Attachments

• 11-03-2018 (5).jpg
      11-03-2018 (5).jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 245
    • 11-03-2018 (1).jpg
      11-03-2018 (1).jpg
      75 KB · Views: 241
    • 11-03-2018(6).jpg
      11-03-2018(6).jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 240

emkuba

May 24, 2013
    Heatseeker - where did you get the Euro mount done? Thinking of doing something similar with some antlers from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom