• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    BIG mistake.

She thinks she wants small because it looks less intimidating.

Small guns kick more, have more blast, and are much harder to shoot.

She will hate it, and it might turn her off to shooting entirely.

A full size gun that fits her hand is a better idea.

This subject seems to be coming up a lot. Take a look at these posts:

Consider a medium frame .357 revolver, which is probably the most versatile handgun there is. Load it with mild .38 Special Mid Range Wadcutter (target) loads, and it is VERY pleasant to shoot. A mild "pop" and no recoil, very accurate. Load it with full power or +P .38s, all the way up to maximum power .357 Magnum loads, and it is a very respectable defense gun.

My wife had been talking about getting her own gun for a while, so with the state income tax refund I took her to the Gun Shack and had Susie and Sara advise her and try on several revolvers. (She had hefted my GP100's and didn't like the feel because of her small hands). She hefted a SP 100 3"barrel (my favorite), an LCR, and a SW 442 all capable of shooting 38 Spl. +P. She kept going back to the LCR. When I tried to explain the weight and recoil deal she said that it was going to be a night stand gun not a range piece. After we pick it up I'm going to load some Cowboy Action stuff in it and let her get used to it before chambering the +P rounds.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sorry, I wasn't criticizing. Just making a comment. I want to get my wife her own handgun and she wants a revolver and was looking at .22LRs. Can you give me more specifics of the one your wife has?

No worries, I didn't take it as criticism. It's .22 WMR (.22 Magnum) not .22lr and although it's no .45, there's a fairly substantial difference between .22lr and .22 WMR. (Especially with some of the ammo now available.)

Recoil is pretty much non-existent considering it's a 1-7/8" barrel snub nose but it is a loud little bastard. It's enjoyable to shoot, in fact, you could go through a hundred rounds and not notice it. In comparison to center fire, ammo is very affordable if you shop/order online and has been fairly easy to find even in the great ammo shortage.

I've actually carried it myself a few times when I just wanted a break from lugging around larger guns. You can throw it in a pocket holster and it disappears.

When she bought hers, Ruger had not yet released the LCR in .22 WMR but they're out now. (Although they may be tough to find.)

So far, everybody who's tried the gun has had the same reaction. First it's, "Oh well, big deal it's just a .22 revolver." But then once they shoot it, they love it. Again, it's no .45 or .357 but they are evil little bastards and I'll be damned if I'd want to take a hit from one.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I just bought my wifey a SIG P 239. She has small Hands and this is perfect. Accurate and the recoil is not too bad. it also has better sights and a smooth DA trigger.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    No worries, I didn't take it as criticism. It's .22 WMR (.22 Magnum) not .22lr and although it's no .45, there's a fairly substantial difference between .22lr and .22 WMR. (Especially with some of the ammo now available.)

Recoil is pretty much non-existent considering it's a 1-7/8" barrel snub nose but it is a loud little bastard. It's enjoyable to shoot, in fact, you could go through a hundred rounds and not notice it. In comparison to center fire, ammo is very affordable if you shop/order online and has been fairly easy to find even in the great ammo shortage.

I've actually carried it myself a few times when I just wanted a break from lugging around larger guns. You can throw it in a pocket holster and it disappears.

When she bought hers, Ruger had not yet released the LCR in .22 WMR but they're out now. (Although they may be tough to find.)

So far, everybody who's tried the gun has had the same reaction. First it's, "Oh well, big deal it's just a .22 revolver." But then once they shoot it, they love it. Again, it's no .45 or .357 but they are evil little bastards and I'll be damned if I'd want to take a hit from one.

I've shot .22 magum in a rifle before, i agree... pretty big difference. I like the look of that gun!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom