Range Etiquette, What would you do in this situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    A long time ago the guy to my left didn't care that his brass flew over the partition and on me. I grabbed the small roll of gorilla tape I keep in my range bag and taped a cardboard target backer up to extend the partition up to the ceiling. Problem solved.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    2. Always wear a hat when shooting. (It's how I was taught and I feel strange without one.)

My 40 yr NRA instructor explained this the 1st time we were at the range and my own casings were bouncing off the partition wall and hitting myself.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    My 40 yr NRA instructor explained this the 1st time we were at the range and my own casings were bouncing off the partition wall and hitting myself.

I will definitely try the hat thing, although it will feel strange as (1) I am old enough that I was raised to not wear a hat indoors (2) the Navy definitely conditioned me to be "uncovered" indoors and (3) I have never really liked wearing hats ( and fortunately for men my age -- 57 -- I still have the full head of hair).

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I will definitely try the hat thing, although it will feel strange as (1) I am old enough that I was raised to not wear a hat indoors (2) the Navy definitely conditioned me to be "uncovered" indoors and (3) I have never really liked wearing hats ( and fortunately for men my age -- 57 -- I still have the full head of hair).

Ah but when you are armed you stay covered.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis

Being hit by one's own casings can be unpleasant. My Walther p1 regularly throws them back into my face and I once had one get caught between my glasses and my nose. Ouch! Worse was shooting skeet and having fragments from the broken high bird on station 7 hit me and cut open my forehead.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Ah but when you are armed you stay covered.

True -- not something my job in the Navy required much (active duty JAG, Reserve Intelligence). Did do a stint as a Boat Officer on a duty lifeboat crew and carried the M14 (we gave the rifle to the Boat Officer to cut down the numbers on the boat crews), but that was outdoors and therefore "covered". As a rule though at sea, once sea and anchor detail was secured on the carrier, we stayed uncovered except on the bridge.

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    Being hit by one's own casings can be unpleasant. My Walther p1 regularly throws them back into my face and I once had one get caught between my glasses and my nose. Ouch! Worse was shooting skeet and having fragments from the broken high bird on station 7 hit me and cut open my forehead.

Yes I got struck in my temple a few times while I was shooting to qualify for my 16hr CCW training. He wore one of those camo fishing type of hats with a brim all the way around.

Attachments

• Caddyshack.jpg
      Caddyshack.jpg
      18 KB · Views: 215

ptman2000

Aug 19, 2013
    Riva, MD
    I asked a gentleman who was throwing a lot of brass over the wall at On Target on me one time to just stand back a little bit because he was so far forward. He got so pissed that he left a few minutes later..... Guess it solved the problem.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I was shooting at On Target on Monday. The guy using the next lane over to the left was shooting a 1911. As he shot, his spent brass was coming over the partition and hitting me in the head. Being a basically non-confrontational guy, I tried to shrug it off at first, on the hope that he would finish up in a few minutes and move on. No such luck -- he had more time and ammo than I did. I finally wound up putting up with it by standing against the partition and reloading mags while he was shooting, and then shooting while he was reloading.

Of course I have been hit by the occasional spent brass before -- that is just part of the game. In this case it was every single round the guy was firing and probably could have been avoided if he adjusted his shooting position by a few inches (so that his brass would hit the partition rather than flying over it). Again, though, being non-confrontational, I didn't ask the guy to adjust.

So what do you think? Should I have asked the guy to give me a break, or just put up with it?

I had to think for a second if that might have been me!

But no, my last 1911 session was on MLK day.

Whew!!

It happens, especially there, and the way the partitions are it's hard to do anything about. Live and let live, and maybe just a polite comment couldn't hurt.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I shoot at On Target as well (and boy, have they ever been crowded on weekends lately - call ahead). I have had this situation as well....a smile and friendly request has worked for me. AND I always wear a hat. :-)

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Most of my indoor shooting has been at Continental. I'd ask them if they could slide over a few steps and that would solve 99% of the problems. One time, one clown told me to go screw myself. He had a 9mm and was very carefully practicing bullseye shooting at about 5 yards with it. I had been shooting my 10/22. I switched to my .44 and my Mossy 500. He apparently found me distracting after that and left shortly afterward.

So, bring a shotgun.

:lol:, an AR tends to make them do the same thing

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    A long time ago the guy to my left didn't care that his brass flew over the partition and on me. I grabbed the small roll of gorilla tape I keep in my range bag and taped a cardboard target backer up to extend the partition up to the ceiling. Problem solved.

This is where I was going as well, glad I read all the posts. If you know the approx size of the offending opening, then you can resolve it yourself. Now some a-hole might say, "you are blocking my brass and it's hitting me in the face". There are people that inconsiderate out there.... :rolleyes:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is where I was going as well, glad I read all the posts. If you know the approx size of the offending opening, then you can resolve it yourself. Now some a-hole might say, "you are blocking my brass and it's hitting me in the face". There are people that inconsiderate out there.... :rolleyes:

That's when you break out something really obnoxious, joppaj had the right idea with shotgun or a big-bore revolver.

I prefer to be a little more sadistic though.

View attachment 111938

View attachment 111939

Haven't fired it indoors yet, but on a outdoor range with a covered shooting position - people feel the concussion from 3 tables away. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom