Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 21st, 2019, 03:47 PM #2281
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

If you really have neighbor problems, a homemade 2m ground plane made of coat hangers on an so239 is basically invisible. You can attach it to a vent pipe with a piece of PVC pipe. Paint the PVC gray or get the gray kind. No one will ever see it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
IDPA Safety Officer
Amateur Radio
Keystone70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:15 PM #2282
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
Ok thats a great idea but it might look odd mounted on the side of my chimney.
Okay, wrap red ribbon around it in a spiral pattern and if you're questioned say it was a Christmas decoration you forgot/put up early.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:25 PM #2283

Thumbs up

Quote:
the FTM-400DX has been really great. Check the nearby radio clubs to see if they are running Wires-X repeaters. If so the ease of wireless digital radio communications is amazing.
I could not agree more, great radio.
cms1528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:31 PM #2284

Maybe I missed something, but if you have an attic why not put it in there? I have two, a Diamond X-30 dual band and a Daimond CR-320A tri band. Both are connected to HT's and both work very well. I have a Diamond (yes, I'm a Diamond fan) X-6000 on top of my tower and it's connected to an Icom 2730A in my shack. Honestly, when hitting local repeaters they all work fine. I did have to assemble a ground plane (just some wires on a base) for the CR-320A.

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Winged Pig; Yesterday at 07:45 AM.
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM #2285
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
Im working on this problem too, and not sure which direction to go. Access to the firewall is extremely limited inside of the engine compartment.

Several forums talk about using a fuse block tap. My car has a bunch of unused fuse spaces for high amperage features like rear heated seats, which are not included with my model. It seems like I could just tap one of these sockets. From what I can tell the max current my radio will draw is about 15A when transmitting at 50 watts.
You can often find a big rubber grommet in the firewall with wires run through it. I use an awl to carefully poke a hole in the side of it and then run a fish tape through the hole to pull the red and black wire through.
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM #2286
MSI Executive Member

MSI Executive Member

Quote:
I have a question about mounting a VHF/UHF diamond antenna on my roof. I was talking to friend and he said I should check with my HOA first. I didnt think it would be an issue but i did find a paragraph in the covenants which prohibit any TV, Radio or satellite antennas of any type.

However at least 1/4 of my neighbors have Direct TV dishes on their homes and thats never been enforced. I also read about some FCC rules which prohibit HOAs from restricting antennas for OTA TV broadcast.

So my question is this.....

If I put up a diamond dual band antenna could it be used for OTA HD TV signals? If they give me any grief, I can just tell them its a TV antenna and they can pound sand.
You can try that sometimes it works.

Your observations are correct, tv antenna covenants not enforceable but they are enforceable for ham antennas.

Get a UHF to F connector adapter so you can hook your TV to it if needed.
mac1_131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM #2287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Pig View Post
Maybe I missed something, but if you have an attic why not put it in there? I have two, a Diamond X-30 dual band and a Daimond CR-320A tri band. Both are connected to HT's and both work very well. I have a Diamond (yes, I'm a Diamond fan) X-6000 on top of my tower and it's connected to an Icom 2730A in my shack. Honestly, when hitting local repeaters they all work fine. I did have to assemble a ground plane (just some wires on a base) for the CR-320A.

Well the X200a arrived today and I went ahead and set it up in my attic where the J-Pole was located. Im getting 1.00 SWR at 2m and 1.03 at 70cm. Seems like a great piece of hardware.

The only think Im wondering is how much signal interference I am susceptible to, because the antenna is about 4ft from an Attic fan and 6ft from my HVAC heat pump/air handler not to mention there are a lot of metal truss joining plates all over the place around the attic.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM #2288

Gotta post this Amateur Radio / Baofeng / AK three-way cross-over video:

MigraineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM #2289

Quote:
Well the X200a arrived today and I went ahead and set it up in my attic where the J-Pole was located. Im getting 1.00 SWR at 2m and 1.03 at 70cm. Seems like a great piece of hardware.

The only think Im wondering is how much signal interference I am susceptible to, because the antenna is about 4ft from an Attic fan and 6ft from my HVAC heat pump/air handler not to mention there are a lot of metal truss joining plates all over the place around the attic.
Congrats on your new antenna. Sounds like it's working great.

While I have not actually measured the signal strength from my attic mounted antennas, using my totally un-scientific, S.W.A.G., let's give this a shot method of testing (which amounts to me asking for signal reports) my antennas are not adversely affected by the other items in my attic. These items consist of metal truss joining plates, a radon fan, two bathroom vent fans and their respective ducting, an attic fan, a vent pipe and a light fixture. Not saying that they do not affect my signals, just that I can't tell.

Truth be told, it's way too hot, there's too much insulation and not enough head room up there for me to care about what might amount to a small increase in signal strength at this point.

Good luck with your antenna!

"Cogito, ergo amatum sum."
Lt. Col. David Grossman

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H. L. Mencken
Winged Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Central Maryland