• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mmattucci

Jun 5, 2017
    Hi everybody and thanks for welcoming me into the group.
    I have shot trap and skeet for over 20+ years at different clubs throughout Md. I'm no longer in the ATA, but still like to shoot with my son when he's in town. My question is can I shoot clay targets on my own property in Harford County? I live on 2 acres near Fallston / Jarettsville area and have always wanted to have a single trap field on my property. Is this possible? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk!

Others will be along to answer your trap questions.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think the only way to be sure is to talk to DNR and Harford County zoning department. I believe they would give their opinion in an informal way.

Welcome from a fellow Hazzard County resident and good luck!

chipd

May 20, 2017
    talk to neighbors in ear shot. that way you know if you're going to have a problem, and who the problem will be.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

attachment.php

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Harford County Code 260-4 Firearms

A. Within this section, a "firearm" shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun designed to propel any projectile or projectiles by means of explosive energy.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearm:

(1) On the property of another without written permission of the property owner or tenant and having the written permission in immediate possession.

(2) In the direction of any residential dwelling or building designed and used for human occupancy or school wherein the person firing or discharging the firearm knows or should have known that the projectile or projectiles have a reasonable chance of striking the structure.

(3) On public property without first obtaining written permission from the appropriate agency or a permit from the agency if required and having the written permission or permit in immediate possession.

(4) Wherein the projectile or projectiles traverse the property of another so as to endanger life, limb or property.

(5) Within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any residential dwelling or building designed and used for human occupancy or school, located on adjacent or abutting property, without written permission from the property owner or tenant and having the written permission in immediate possession.

C. Nothing in this section shall be held to apply to or prohibit the firing or discharge of any firearms on a bona fide shooting range or if the same is reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property or to any law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Harford County Code 260-4 Firearms

A. Within this section, a "firearm" shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun designed to propel any projectile or projectiles by means of explosive energy.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearm:

(1) On the property of another without written permission of the property owner or tenant and having the written permission in immediate possession.

(2) In the direction of any residential dwelling or building designed and used for human occupancy or school wherein the person firing or discharging the firearm knows or should have known that the projectile or projectiles have a reasonable chance of striking the structure.

(3) On public property without first obtaining written permission from the appropriate agency or a permit from the agency if required and having the written permission or permit in immediate possession.

(4) Wherein the projectile or projectiles traverse the property of another so as to endanger life, limb or property.

(5) Within one hundred fifty (150) yards of any residential dwelling or building designed and used for human occupancy or school, located on adjacent or abutting property, without written permission from the property owner or tenant and having the written permission in immediate possession.

C. Nothing in this section shall be held to apply to or prohibit the firing or discharge of any firearms on a bona fide shooting range or if the same is reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property or to any law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

Great! I think that answers the OP's question. :thumbsup:

Mmattucci

Jun 5, 2017
    Thanks everyone!

Looks like I've got some measuring and some PR to do with the neighbors. Everyone in this community is really easy to get along with. My 2 closest are probably about 100 - 200 yards away from where I would want to shoot to their houses...
    Thanks for all the advice and I'll be posting updates as I find out.
    Plus there's tons of stuff on this site to read! This is great. Looking forward to more!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have suggested, the laws matter but your neighbors matter more. Whether it's legal or not, if your neighbors don't like it you still have a problem.

Invite them over for some shooting on your dime and say hi. Answer any concerns. Laws are created because this kind of discourse doesn't happen more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom