• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I wanted to start a general discussion about storage and theft prevention to hear your thoughts and hopefully share some good ideas. I like to think I'm fairly responsible in keeping my firearms locked in a safe and I try not to disclose too much information online about what I have or where I live specifically. My collection is certainly nothing close to some of the others I see on here, hell some of you have a few guns worth more than all of mine together, but none the less I want to protect it. Doing just a little looking around on this forum, I see plenty of people that are not careful. In fact, with a minimal amount of effort I was able to figure out specifically who certain members are, where they live, and can pretty much write down a list of what to expect to find in their safe. This may sound creepy to some of you, but it was more of a test for myself and now a warning to members here. I'm not a computer expert, I'm talking about Google searches here folks. If I can do it, criminals can too, and they have used forums in the past. Try not to share any personal information about yourself online, period (name, where you work, etc). Don't post specifics about what you're keeping at home. Keep discussions general.

Getting back to my other point about storage, the more I have read online the less confidence I have in my current security measures. It seems to me a gun safe is nothing more than a target. Doesn't matter too much on the brand or how much you spend, almost all of them can be easily penetrated. That being said, for those of us who keep our firearms in a garage or near tools, that's a double no-no, you're just making it easier and saving a thief some time. I'm starting to think clever hiding spots are the way to go. Hidden dresser compartments, false bookcase closets, small locked pistol safes for home security. At least if somebody does target you they won't make off with everything, and with some clever locking mechanisms you should still be able to keep them safe from children.

Please share any additional things you know about online security, home security, or storage solutions...

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    You should consider sending members about whom you were able to find information a PM and disclose it to them. That way they can take steps to censor those details if they so choose.

Security should be a multi-level concept. Having the best safe on the planet doesn't mean much if you don't have alarms to reduce the amount of time a lowlife has to breach that safe. Hardening the area(s) where your safe(s) is/are stored is additionally helpful. Whatever increases the amount of time from break-in to break-out is going to help you avoid a loss and/or increase the likelihood that the scumbags are caught. Nothing is perfect, of course.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You should consider sending members about whom you were able to find information a PM and disclose it to them. That way they can take steps to censor those details if they so choose.

Security should be a multi-level concept. Having the best safe on the planet doesn't mean much if you don't have alarms to reduce the amount of time a lowlife has to breach that safe. Hardening the area(s) where your safe(s) is/are stored is additionally helpful. Whatever increases the amount of time from break-in to break-out is going to help you avoid a loss and/or increase the likelihood that the scumbags are caught. Nothing is perfect, of course.

I will definitely do that, at least at that point it's on them to protect themselves.

I would also agree it's all about increasing the amount of time a thief has to find or acquire your stuff. As you mentioned nothing is perfect, but making it as hard as possible is key. I think it's also important to not worry about it constantly or make it cumbersome just to gain access to you're belongings. Thinking as a potential entrepreneur, I believe there is still a large gap here to be filled with a good idea.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think it's a truism that any place you can think to hide whatever, a thief can figure out where it is.

A gun "safe" may not stop a professional criminal or most career criminals but it will probably stop the neighborhood scumbags-in-training.

A safe should also be a part of a holistic system that begins with your neighbors and includes perimeter and interior security devices (alarms and cameras).

Thieves like soft targets and will by pass a place they know has an alarm when the next place down the block does not.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Just like a bank, a safe is not meant to prevent you from getting to my valuables or firearms it there to slow you down, there that big dog, the alarm system, the men in blue and those big holes I will put in your body that help to detour your desire to visit my home uninvited. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom