• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I found a pretty good deal on a Rocky Patel bundle.

Ten cigars, humidor, cutter and a lighter for $29.95. If you add it to your cart, a pop-up will offer you 10% more off of the price if you order within four hours.

Here is the link with the code entered for your convenience.

https://t.thompsoncigar.com/product...9043/pc/8378.uts?TLCode=ta686&promoCode=ta686

It's a good deal. You can't go wrong with anything Rocky makes.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Don't smoke but good friend of mine does so was going to try the deal based solely on your recommendation. Clicked on your link and pop up said receive an additional 15% and free shipping if you sign up for their email, so I did. Clicked on the link in email, added the assortment to my cart, and went to checkout. Unfortunately NO 10% off for ordering within 4 hours, NO extra 15% off and NO free shipping ("code not valid").

If they're trying to entice new customers they blew it with this one :(

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    It's also Thompson, and FWIW, I know several people who have ordered from them and received dried-out cigars and cheap accessories.

For my money, Cigars International (and their related site, cigarbid.com) are much better. Cigars show up in good condition, accessories are brand-name. Prices may not be *as* good, but you get what you pay for.

-John

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It's also Thompson, and FWIW, I know several people who have ordered from them and received dried-out cigars and cheap accessories.

For my money, Cigars International (and their related site, cigarbid.com) are much better. Cigars show up in good condition, accessories are brand-name. Prices may not be *as* good, but you get what you pay for.

-John

I wholeheartedly agree. Thompson has a bad rap, and for good reason. Cigars International is great. Be careful at cigarbid. You can score some good or great deals, but it's addictive. Ask me how I know. :-)

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I wholeheartedly agree. Thompson has a bad rap, and for good reason. Cigars International is great. Be careful at cigarbid. You can score some good or great deals, but it's addictive. Ask me how I know. :-)

Be careful, you say? Addictive? Nah, can't be... oh wait, that $1,200 credit card bill says you're right. Damn. :lol2::innocent0:D:party29:

-John

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    Yup, CI is the way to go. Three attempts to do business with Thompson and all three didn't go well. Dried out or split unless you got sealed boxes.

crh

Dec 7, 2016
    You guys should check out smallbatch.com. They have lots of stuff, great prices, and have regular sales and discounts.

The small batch blind samplers are a great way to get some of the real expensive sticks at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I generally buy from Cigars International, JR and Best Cigar Prices. I thought this Thompson deal was pretty darn good, so I thought I would share.

My cigars arrived and everything looks good. Well, the cutter is on the cheap side but the lighter works great. I have some humidifier beads in the new humidor, so I'm going to let that season for a few weeks. The cigars are in my big humidor, and I generally try and let them rest in there for about a month before I start to smoke them.

CRH, I will check out the smallbatch.com and see what goodies they have. I can never turn down a good deal. Thanks.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I generally buy from Cigars International, JR and Best Cigar Prices. I thought this Thompson deal was pretty darn good, so I thought I would share.

My cigars arrived and everything looks good. Well, the cutter is on the cheap side but the lighter works great. I have some humidifier beads in the new humidor, so I'm going to let that season for a few weeks. The cigars are in my big humidor, and I generally try and let them rest in there for about a month before I start to smoke them.

CRH, I will check out the smallbatch.com and see what goodies they have. I can never turn down a good deal. Thanks.

I went on smallbatchcigars.com (smallbatch.com didn't exist, and googling "small batch .com" came up with smallbatchcigars.com), and clicked into their La Flor Dominicana section. Only the 1994 cigars were listed before I bookmarked it for a future visit and went back to browsing. Not too impressed so far.

Atlantic Cigars used to price match, and had great prices on their LFDs.

-John

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Cigarbid IS addictive. I tend to buy more than I smoke. Then I have to get more humidors to hold them. Then I have to get more Breveda packs to humidify them. Now I'm thinking about a Coolidor. It never ends.

ps: Do you dump your butts and ashes in the garden? In the flowerbed?

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Cigarbid IS addictive. I tend to buy more than I smoke. Then I have to get more humidors to hold them. Then I have to get more Breveda packs to humidify them. Now I'm thinking about a Coolidor. It never ends.

ps: Do you dump your butts and ashes in the garden? In the flowerbed?

Yeah, I typically get 8-10 boxes every ... 8 to 10 weeks :D

Go for the coolidor. I have 1 humidor that I keep gifts in, the rest go in the coolers.

Top tips for coolidor success:

1. Use Heartfelt Industries' 70% humidity beads. They last for *years* ... I'm going on 10 years with mine.

2. Buy a cooler with a good, not great, seal. This allows a small amount of ambient air exchange, which prevents mold and mildew.

3. Buy the cooler, bring it home, wash it out with warm, soapy water (dish soap works well). Let dry for at least 24 hours. This allows the plastic to off gas as well.

4. Keep your stogies in boxes (I keep a stack of empty boxes at the ready for when bundles show up), as the extra cedar helps the beads to maintain humidity.

5. Remember, a full coolidor keeps humidity more stable than an empty one!

I can't tell you how much time and money I've saved over the years by just storing my sticks in coolers.

Oh, and my cigar butts go in the fire pit (if I'm burning) or the trash can (once cool). I smoke a lot of cigars in my 3 9/10 season porch, and empty the ash tray the next day into my trash can.

My father-in-law keeps his butts in Quaker Oats cardboard cans, and then he puts them in his wood-burning stove when they get full.

-John

crh

Dec 7, 2016
    I went on smallbatchcigars.com (smallbatch.com didn't exist, and googling "small batch .com" came up with smallbatchcigars.com), and clicked into their La Flor Dominicana section. Only the 1994 cigars were listed before I bookmarked it for a future visit and went back to browsing. Not too impressed so far.

Atlantic Cigars used to price match, and had great prices on their LFDs.

-John

Sorry, should have provided the link. www.smallbatchcigar.com

Coupon cigarnoise will get you 10% off. Although I'm sure he'll have a some specials for 4th of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    I also use a coolidor. I added an extra rubber seal around my lid, now you have me wondering if that was a bad move. I have used it for a year now, and it maintains a humidity of 68% even without any beads or humidity packs. Once it reached 68%, I pulled the shot glass of distilled water out of it and have never had to add anything. No mold or issues, and they all burn exceptionally well.

A coolidor is definitely the way to go. One day, I might want to convert a wine cooler (wineador) but that is a project for down the road.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I also use a coolidor. I added an extra rubber seal around my lid, now you have me wondering if that was a bad move. I have used it for a year now, and it maintains a humidity of 68% even without any beads or humidity packs. Once it reached 68%, I pulled the shot glass of distilled water out of it and have never had to add anything. No mold or issues, and they all burn exceptionally well.

A coolidor is definitely the way to go. One day, I might want to convert a wine cooler (wineador) but that is a project for down the road.

Yeah, *some* air exchange is a good thing. It lets cigars age properly, and when they go through sick periods (ammonia smell, perfectly normal), it allows for the dissipation of that smell and whatever chemicals are released at the same time. Even your best desktop humidors have some air exchange, it's just healthier for the stogies.

-John

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    IMPORTANT CIGAR PSA!!!
    Do a quick search on Cigar beetles. These little bastards can destroy a humidor full of cigars- including 8 asst Habanos (ask me how I know). They are a tropical beetle that feeds on cigars- thus the name. Their tropical requirement makes them simple to eradicate.
    Here is my method of ensuring they never make it to your humidor (or coolidor)...
    When new cigars are purchased:
    Refrigerate them for 6-8 hours
    Freeze them for 2-3 days
    Refrigerate them for 24 hours
    Add to humidor

The cool down before freezing and slow thaw prevents the wrappers from cracking.
    After my beetle debacle, I treat cigars like sexual partners; use protection and question yourself as to where they have been.

Attachments

• cigar beetles.jpg
      cigar beetles.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 116

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I was an exclusively CI customer for years. When Thompson came out with their $19.95 5-packs I gave them a try. I've since been getting multiple 5-packs of Drew Estates Tabak Especials, Acids, Montecristos and Macanudos for $4 a stick, WELL BELOW CI price. I even tried a CI bid on a 5-pack of Acid for $19,.95 but it was rejected.

Their price has recently gone to $21.24 per 5-pack so they're $4.25/stick. Still a great price

The cigars from Thompson come in a reasonable time, well-packed and fresh. NO complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom