• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Got at a great price thanks to this post https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=210681 and just got it set up.

Overall VERY happy but took a little retrofitting, as items like this frequently do. Fortunately I was able to everything I wanted with the supplied hardware.

The top fixed shelf was too low to fit my Yugos (my longest rifle) so I moved it up. This left the center divider unsupported but there were 4 "extra" clips (they screw into the shelf and bracket) that I used to affix the half shelf on the top right, giving me 2 fully adjustable shelves and a full shelf with about 5 inches of clear space on the top.

And YES, those are cut down pool noodles on the rifle muzzles :cool:

Attachments

• SAFE.jpg
      SAFE.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 330

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Nice idea, I like. Think I could make something like that pretty quick and a heck of a lot cheaper than $3.50 a piece though. And, could make just one first to see how I like it instead of spending 35 bucks

I was thinking the same thing. I have some old carbon fiber rods that may fit a couple of my rifle bores and I can use a washer with Velcro for the top.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Got at a great price thanks to this post https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=210681 and just got it set up.

Overall VERY happy but took a little retrofitting, as items like this frequently do. Fortunately I was able to everything I wanted with the supplied hardware.

The top fixed shelf was too low to fit my Yugos (my longest rifle) so I moved it up. This left the center divider unsupported but there were 4 "extra" clips (they screw into the shelf and bracket) that I used to affix the half shelf on the top right, giving me 2 fully adjustable shelves and a full shelf with about 5 inches of clear space on the top.

And YES, those are cut down pool noodles on the rifle muzzles :cool:

Bummer. For my purposes, that top shelf/support is great because it has ready made slots to stand the long guns in. I guess there's something about the Yugo (clearly I don't have one myself) that prevents you from extending it through the shelf/support. Funny how the devil is in the details. Glad you could make the adjustments though.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'd worry about the pool noodles trapping moisture on the barrels and causing corrosion. I know foam in gun cases is typically terrible for gun metal. What rust inhibitor are you using under them? Eezox and rust prevent are fairly solid in my experience.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    I picked up one of these yesterday as well and am happy with it. The BJ's near me in belair Rd was sold out already. Had to go to Canton to get mine, they​ had one left as of yesterday

Jul 1, 2012
    I'd worry about the pool noodles trapping moisture on the barrels and causing corrosion. I know foam in gun cases is typically terrible for gun metal. What rust inhibitor are you using under them? Eezox and rust prevent are fairly solid in my experience.

^^ This.
    Also some foams break down, especially when in contact with gun oils etc, and make a big mess.
    Been there, done that.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017

^^ This.
    Also some foams break down, especially when in contact with gun oils etc, and make a big mess.
    Been there, done that.

I figured foam (plastic) would be good since it wouldn't hold moisture like cardboard/paper And since it's just on the end there wouldn't be any oil/solvent issues.

Any suggestions ?

Edit: Really ? I asked for suggestions when they're right there ? Looks like it's gonna be "one of those days". LOL

Last edited:

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Pretty happy with this safe. Not the best, but I'll take it as a starter safe. The door is removable to make handling it a one person job with a good hand truck. I added a Cannon safe lock light, a strip of LED lights around the inside door frame, a motion sensor, and a battery pack. I was thinking about Rifle Rods or the like, but don't need them yet. Looks like my pics missed most of the long rifles, but they fit just fine on the left. The ARs and AKs fit nicely on the lifted shelf on the right.

Attachments

• 20170706_220507.jpg
      20170706_220507.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 132
    • 20170706_220522.jpg
      20170706_220522.jpg
      14.3 KB · Views: 130
    • 20170706_220549.jpg
      20170706_220549.jpg
      38.4 KB · Views: 132
    • 20170706_220557.jpg
      20170706_220557.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 135

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Pretty happy with this safe. Not the best, but I'll take it as a starter safe. The door is removable to make handling it a one person job with a good hand truck. I added a Cannon safe lock light, a strip of LED lights around the inside door frame, a motion sensor, and a battery pack. I was thinking about Rifle Rods or the like, but don't need them yet. Looks like my pics missed most of the long rifles, but they fit just fine on the left. The ARs and AKs fit nicely on the lifted shelf on the right.

Wish I had thought about removing the door. Wouldn't have had to have my friend come over to help. Could have saved a favor for another time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom