• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My wife just got a new job where she will be working from home about 90% of the time, and she wants a pistol for herself.

She is pretty specific on the features she wants, so please keep this formula in mind:

- 9mm
    - Suppressed (ready from factory, or after market barrel)
    - Light rail
    - Night sights (these can be added if not stock)

My Google-Fu is strong, but I want some advice specific to my question. If it were your loved one, which pistol/suppressor combo would you trust with their life? The usual suspects are obviously: HK, SIG, Beretta, Glock, FN, S&W, etc... But which one, and why?

I already know there are some strong opinions out there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I gathered:

Clandestine likes HK
    JeepDriver likes Sig
    SCARCQB likes HK, Sig, and Glock

Why have you three chosen the way you have? I’m not asking to be a d*ck, I really want to know to help with our decision - and you three seem to know what you’re talking about (not saying others here don’t).

Price isn’t really an option, we will pay what we have to for her/my piece of mind. However, if there is a less expensive option that would be great. The less we spend, the more money we have for training/practice.

If you could pick one set up like this, what would it be?

Pistol:

Night sights (if not stock):

Suppressor:

Barrel (if not suppressor ready):

Light:

Estimated Cost (not including stamp):

Explain your choice:

I know I’m asking for a lot of info, but it would be invaluable.

Thanks in advance guys - Mrs. Noctem and I are really looking forward to your input.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    I went with a sig p226 elite darkand paris a around $1100 total from mark at 2a.
    Features I wanted that it came with stock:
    Threaded barrel
    Adjustable night sights
    beaver tail
    Short reset trigger
    Aluminum grips
    I added a streamlight to it.
    It shoots great and I have put over 1000rds through her so far and haven't experienced any failures with about a half dozen different types of ammo. If you and your wife want to shoot it I'll try to meet you at the range one day.

Sent from my DROIDX

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    not to joke but why a suppressor?? In a high adrenaline situation you rarely hear the shot/shots if you are pulling the trigger. You also lose some power if you suppress. Not to mention if you have it strapped on with suppressor it becomes cumbersome...just things to think about.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    I do not have a suppressor..But I thoughts are....I would like to hear afterwards, especially if there is more than one bad guy running through the house...and once the cops eventually show up you can hear the instructions to "put down the gun."

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    not to joke but why a suppressor?? In a high adrenaline situation you rarely hear the shot/shots if you are pulling the trigger. You also lose some power if you suppress. Not to mention if you have it strapped on with suppressor it becomes cumbersome...just things to think about.

Because if we ever have to shoot inside our home we want to be able to communicate with each other during and after, be able to call 911 and hear the operator, hear if the BG had a partner coming in the door behind him/her. Not to mention, a suppressor makes follow up shots more manageable (IMO), and the elimination of muzzle flash is a big plus for us.

To me, the benefits to a suppressed HD handgun outweigh any negatives.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    You will be able to hear again, you will just have ringing for a while, and a deadened sense of hearing directly after/ during. WE all know about the legal ownership of suppressors. Most of the public does not. IMO it will not look good in front of a jury if you used a supressed firearm to defend your house. It also will make comfortable holster use nearly impossible. Not saying that threaded is not a good option, but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You will be able to hear again, you will just have ringing for a while, and a deadened sense of hearing directly after/ during. WE all know about the legal ownership of suppressors. Most of the public does not. IMO it will not look good in front of a jury if you used a supressed firearm to defend your house. It also will make comfortable holster use nearly impossible. Not saying that threaded is not a good option, but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.
    This. Although legal, it looks bad. You will be able to communicate and call 911 without difficulty after firing an unsuppressed 9mm in the home.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I would say this too...it looks like INTENT to kill...rather than protection...when defending yourself in court especially in this SH*tty state you are the criminal not the criminal breaking into your home...

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Using a suppressed weapon to defend yourself at home is no different than using an unsuppressed weapon to do the same. I live in Florida and have the right to defend myself in my home if I feel threatened – suppressed or otherwise.

I’m not worried about holster availability – I have other weapons for carry.

I would say this too...it looks like INTENT to kill...rather than protection...when defending yourself in court especially in this SH*tty state you are the criminal not the criminal breaking into your home...

Why does having a suppressed pistol impy ITENT?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    hell look at the Zimmerman case in FL...could you imagine the uproar if he had a suppressed weapon?? I do agree with having the barrel threaded just for recreation purposes but not as a concealed carry...JMHO

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    hell look at the Zimmerman case in FL...could you imagine the uproar if he had a suppressed weapon?? I do agree with having the barrel threaded just for recreation purposes but not as a concealed carry...JMHO

Who said anything about concealed carry? I'm talking about in my home.

Zimmerman ran after that kid in the open, he initiated the confrontation... and he's going down for it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Who said anything about concealed carry? Zimmerman ran after that kid in the open, I'm talking about in my home.

Im not gonna get into it about whether he chased or followed on this thread...you have to think about it from the courts side...they will label you a killer because you have a suppressed weapon. No Im not siding with the criminal that just broke into your house...its just how the courts see it sometimes...The law abiding gun owner is just as guilty if not more in the COURTS eyes than the owner protecting himself/herself...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Because if we ever have to shoot inside our home we want to be able to communicate with each other during and after, be able to call 911 and hear the operator, hear if the BG had a partner coming in the door behind him/her. Not to mention, a suppressor makes follow up shots more manageable (IMO), and the elimination of muzzle flash is a big plus for us.

To me, the benefits to a suppressed HD handgun outweigh any negatives.

This. Although legal, it looks bad. You will be able to communicate and call 911 without difficulty after firing an unsuppressed 9mm in the home.

Good Handgun Instructors will show the merits of a Sound Suppressor for Home Defense. If you shoot someone with ANY firearm, suppressed or not, you relay your BASIC info to 911, and then simply tell the police you will cooperate and give a statement once your Attorney is present. LEOs do it this way. If needed your attorney will have expert testimony to show the merits of said Suppressor Use. Keep your mouth shut and the State will have nothing to use against you.

Semper is on track here. His reasoning is sound for Suppressor USE in the Home.

Semper, as to your initial question the only 2 options IMHO are SIG and HK. They make FACTORY SUPPRESSOR READY Handguns that WILL RUN RELIABLY out of the box, with a Sound Suppressor (With Boster/LCD Device).

FN Makes the FNP45 TAC but I do not recomend these since CS on FN sucks at the moment. If you need service you wont get it.

German made SIGs are fantastic, but some N.H. Built ones can be problematic so consider this in your decision. I have seen SIGs that wont run reliably with a Sound SUppressor, but run fine without one. The SIG wont have Tall Sights to clear a Suppressor unless you get aftermarket sights. Tis adds about $125.00

HK will be COSTLY, and the USP lines are bulky and can be hard for some small hands. The newer models have better ergos. I have NEVER seen a factory Threaded HK not run with a Sound Suppressor. HK USP's will have TALL Factory Sights that will clear a Supressor. HK's are HARD to get ahold of currently, I dont know why.

Glocks, XD's, M&P's, CZ's, 1911's, FNP's, FNX's, BHP's will be finicky to get to run with just a drop in barrel and factory recoil assembly.

First choice, USP 9/45 TAC/SD
    Second Choice, Modern Factory Threaded HK Offerings in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)
    Third Choice SIG Factory Threaded Offering in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)

For a Suppressor any good modern one will suffice. Dont listen to the fanboys, just buy a NAME BRAND Supressor, not some new "Uber Awesome" Upstart Suppressor Company.

For a Light the Streamlight TLR Strobe is a good light on a budget, but not as waterproof as a Surefire X Series Pistol Light. Surefire is about $100 more. Both have reat illumination, solid attachment, and similar controls.

Marginwalker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 11, 2010
    Maryland
    SIG 226 or 229. Great guns. Easy to take apart, clean and maintain.
    Available with SRT trigger, night sights, rail and factory threaded barrel in 9mm.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Good Handgun Instructors will show the merits of a Sound Suppressor for Home Defense. If you shoot someone with ANY firearm, suppressed or not, you relay your BASIC info to 911, and then simply tell the police you will cooperate and give a statement once your Attorney is present. LEOs do it this way. If needed your attorney will have expert testimony to show the merits of said Suppressor Use. Keep your mouth shut and the State will have nothing to use against you.

Semper is on track here. His reasoning is sound for Suppressor USE in the Home.

Semper, as to your initial question the only 2 options IMHO are SIG and HK. They make FACTORY SUPPRESSOR READY Handguns that WILL RUN RELIABLY out of the box, with a Sound Suppressor (With Boster/LCD Device).

FN Makes the FNP45 TAC but I do not recomend these since CS on FN sucks at the moment. If you need service you wont get it.

German made SIGs are fantastic, but some N.H. Built ones can be problematic so consider this in your decision. I have seen SIGs that wont run reliably with a Sound SUppressor, but run fine without one. The SIG wont have Tall Sights to clear a Suppressor unless you get aftermarket sights. Tis adds about $125.00

HK will be COSTLY, and the USP lines are bulky and can be hard for some small hands. The newer models have better ergos. I have NEVER seen a factory Threaded HK not run with a Sound Suppressor. HK USP's will have TALL Factory Sights that will clear a Supressor. HK's are HARD to get ahold of currently, I dont know why.

Glocks, XD's, M&P's, CZ's, 1911's, FNP's, FNX's, BHP's will be finicky to get to run with just a drop in barrel and factory recoil assembly.

First choice, USP 9/45 TAC/SD
    Second Choice, Modern Factory Threaded HK Offerings in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)
    Third Choice SIG Factory Threaded Offering in 9mm (May need Tall Sights)

For a Suppressor any good modern one will suffice. Dont listen to the fanboys, just buy a NAME BRAND Supressor, not some new "Uber Awesome" Upstart Suppressor Company.

For a Light the Streamlight TLR Strobe is a good light on a budget, but not as waterproof as a Surefire X Series Pistol Light. Surefire is about $100 more. Both have reat illumination, solid attachment, and similar controls.

Our initial though was to buy an HK USP 9SD and an SWR Trident, but we wanted to ensure we had as much input as possible from those that are more knowledgeable than ourselves. That’s why I love this forum, because I can (eventually) get the info I want/need to make an informed decision. Just like when I built my first AR last year - being devoid of any practical knowledge on the subject, I got the info/recommendations I needed.

This is the type of info I wanted. Thanks Chad.

I would still like to hear from others as to their opinions… not about the implied intent of suppressor use in home defense (though valuable info - thanks!), but about what you actually shoot. Knowledge is power, and I want to make an informed purchase.

p.s. I’m not trying to start a pissing contest, sorry it if turns into one.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I know many won't like this, but my Tarus PT-1911 with drop in Storm Lake threaded barrel has been flawless with my Osprey .45. I've put around 1K rounds through it and never had a single malfunction of any kind. The only effect the suppressor has had is that the gun gets filthy very quickly. I generally put 100 rounds through it at the range, and thus between cleanings. It would probably stop functioning perfectly if I put >>100 rounds through it without cleaning.

The PT-1911 with the Osprey required no sight changes since the Osprey is low profile.

I'd NEVER carry this combo, but for home defense I've got no reason not to trust it. The suppressor makes a huge difference in the report / recoil. My wife shoots it much better suppressed due to it being so gentle.

That said, I keep my Glock 19, un-suppressed in my night stand.

-Jim

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    My supressor (SWR Trident) host is a 9mm Sig 226 Combat, no issues with reliability so far. As Clandestine mentioned the stock sights were too low with the supressor attached. Shooting supressed is way to much fun, and I have had many first time shooters mention that the reduced noise and felt recoil helped ease their nervousness on their first outing. I do have plans to put a can on my HK Mk23 (insert mall ninja joke here )

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My supressor (SWR Trident) host is a 9mm Sig 226 Combat, no issues with reliability so far. As Clandestine mentioned the stock sights were too low with the supressor attached. Shooting supressed is way to much fun, and I have had many first time shooters mention that the reduced noise and felt recoil helped ease their nervousness on their first outing. I do have plans to put a can on my HK Mk23 (insert mall ninja joke here )

No way would I ever make a Mall Ninja Joke. The Mk23 is my dream handgun. If I could talk the wife into letting me spend $2G I would already have one. I'm green with envy :envy:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    No way would I ever make a Mall Ninja Joke. The Mk23 is my dream handgun. If I could talk the wife into letting me spend $2G I would already have one. I'm green with envy :envy:

I didn forget to mention, if you go with the USP, youll Need a GG&G Rail Adaptor to use most Weapons Lights. They cost about $50.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom