• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I wrote the entire thing here with pictures and all. But its been killing me not to talk about and show this thing online for fear she would trip over it somehow.

So it came to be that my daughter found out that cheap knifes aren’t worth much more than a dull rock. She went out hunting one week evening during rifle season and shot a doe just before dark. I drove over and found my buddy Kevin helping her with dragging it with the ATV. Then she needed to gut it and she pulled out her cheap knife. It was dull and hardly cut and ripped more than cut.

It was at this point I stated “Its a good thing you brought your hacksaw, but where's your knife?” Right there the next month of “Hacksaw” jokes started on her from myself and Kevin.

All Sonya wanted for Christmas was a knife. Her Mom and myself played it off as we could NOT find what she wanted. We went out for lunch one day and she brought it up. Now for reference I had all this one order and I think I might have had the blank already.

I said “I couldn’t find that G5 knife you wanted and the company that made it has nothing similar. I wasn’t going to buy you and $85 knife that I didn’t even know if you liked.”

She said “It’s the only thing I want.”

I said “Show me what you want, but I don't have the time to order stuff in now and make a knife by Christmas” I conveniently left out I already ordered everything.

She told me last night how she was “highly” disappointed in me until she got that last present and how she was trying to hide it.

Man was it worth every minute. I bought the blank and make my own scales from Cherry burl and made the sheath from 7-8 oz leather.

Fatboy_12-Large-e1545735558292.jpg

Fatboy_22-Large-e1545735235750.jpg

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Good job dad. The scales look great and the sheath is a nice touch. I’m glad she loved it.

I’m making my son a Chef’s knife for Christmas. He got to see the work in progress and was just floored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So if it's cherry that means it will get darker over time, yes?
    Yes, all wood will unless covered ina UV resistant finish. We hadly wear our knives and they stay in the hunting pack and never see light except gutting and butchering. My Osage bows used to get dark brown from their beautiful orange.

Good job dad. The scales look great and the sheath is a nice touch. I’m glad she loved it.

I’m making my son a Chef’s knife for Christmas. He got to see the work in progress and was just floored.

I was watching yours waiting to see how it does. I had a 40 year old 10" saw blade that broke when snapped and thought it was hard enough and made a skinner out of it. It works but doesn't hold an edge long. I didn't heat and harden it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom