• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    My bedside gun is my Walther PPQ. Is it possible to mount a red dot in it? If not, what handguns will take a red dot sight?

Invicta

Sep 16, 2018
    I don't see why not. I'm not familiar with Walthers but Google images shows ppqs with red dots and one of the results on the first page was for a company called JL Machining Works. Perhaps give them a call and see if the have experience milling PPQ slides.

If not, just buy a Glock :)

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I was able to replace my rear sight on my PX4 with an adapter plate from Beretta and mount a Burris Fast Fire on it. Don't know if that's an option for you though. How about a laser mounted underneath if there's a rail?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are plates that mount in the rear sight dovetail, most are too tall to co-witness, milling, or "optics ready" usually can co-witness with suppressor height sights, which can greatly help get the sights lined up quick. It takes more practice than you would think in order to shoot a MRO equipped handgun well. Main issue is the different sight picture compared to irons, where you see the irons as you punch out from high ready, and can quickly get a basic sight picture even with a less than perfect grip or alignment, a MRO either has that nice red dot in the window, or it doesn't. Without at least co-witnessed sights to help, it can actually be a little tough to draw quickly into a sight-picture. Have seen some draw my dot-equipped pistols, then wiggle it around looking for the dot, with no idea where exactly the sights are pointing till they find it a second later. Worst case the dot isn't on, which happens(dead batteries or timed out) and they look around for several seconds before asking for me to help. You have to be extremely good at a consistent draw to put the first shot on target fast, even after that you can loose the dot if you do not have really good techniques for recoil control. The focus on aligning the dot perfectly also can slow down some proficient shooters, you want to draw, then fire as soon as you have a grip that feels right, and the target is framed in the window, with or without the dot, then work on using the dot provided it is working. IMO miniature red dots can help a good shooter get on target, and back on target really fast, and are really good at making precise shots being they take sight radius out of the equation, but there is a steep learning curve, all but the best models are not "bet your life" reliable, and most newer shooters would be better off relying on irons till they spend a few hundred rounds with a MRO equipped pistol.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Just my 2 cents worth, but since the stated purpose of the red dot is for a nightstand firearm, had you considered a laser/laser light? Like this one? It happens to be a Streamlight TRL-2 but there are others out there that will also get the job done. And it attaches to the bottom front rail of a PPQ in seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpg
      IMG_0746.jpg
      58.2 KB · Views: 304

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    For your purpose I would suggest a good set of tritium night sights over a red dot. Very bright and easy to acquire in dim light, plus you never have to worry about turning anything on or replacing batteries.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I second the notion that the red dot should co-witness with iron sights. The iron sights are the familiar on-ramp to get to the dot, and they're the backup if the dot dies. You'll need suppressor height sights and a low mounting position. Not sure if the Walther is a good candidate or not.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMO miniature red dots can help a good shooter get on target, and back on target really fast, and are really good at making precise shots being they take sight radius out of the equation, but there is a steep learning curve, all but the best models are not "bet your life" reliable, and most newer shooters would be better off relying on irons till they spend a few hundred rounds with a MRO equipped pistol.
    Understatement of the year.

The issues with using RMR-esque sights are much less apparent when you're leisurely shooting groups at the square range than when you're running and gunning under a timer. They are much less forgiving of a poor draw index and a poor grip. You have to work hard to lose your front sight, but losing a dot is pretty easy. Unless you're willing to put in the work... go with night sights.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Sage Dynamics does a good job explaining why the RDS ultimately is a superior aiming device on pistols, but to me the major highlight is there is only one focal plane to deal with, and the dot and the target are both on it. That said it requires training and experience to work well, so don't expect to be able to shoot well with an MRDS immediately upon getting it mounted.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For your purpose I would suggest a good set of tritium night sights over a red dot. Very bright and easy to acquire in dim light, plus you never have to worry about turning anything on or replacing batteries.
    I completely agree. I have a Walther Q5 Match with a Leupold Deltapoint. It always slows me down trying to find that little red triangle for the first shot, and I practiced a fair amount trying to improve (including using it for an IDPA match). I clearly need more time (and constantly complain to Blaster about this set up, lol, I think he's listening or pretending he is).

On the other hand, I'm much faster with my PPQ, G19/32, or P226 in getting my first shot in center mass using the front iron sight. The P226 with night sights is my current "bedside" gun (and G32 with night sights has also served this purpose).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I completely agree. I have a Walther Q5 Match with a Leupold Deltapoint. It always slows me down trying to find that little red triangle for the first shot, and I practiced a fair amount trying to improve (including using it for an IDPA match). I clearly need more time (and constantly complain to Blaster about this set up, lol, I think he's listening or pretending he is).

On the other hand, I'm much faster with my PPQ, G19/32, or P226 in getting my first shot in center mass using the front iron sight. The P226 with night sights is my current "bedside" gun (and G32 with night sights has also served this purpose).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

First I envy the fact that you got the Q5. It’s been on my wish list for a while but I’ve got a G34 MOS so it seems a bit redundant for the limited space in the safe.

I wanted to make a comment on your comment about getting on target with the Deltapoint. I have the same issue when doing timed practice. However I just picked up a set of Dawson Suppressor Night Sights. The rear sight fits right behind the DP in the standard Glock Dovetail.

What I immediately noticed was that when everything is setup just right, the red dot falls perfectly between the rear sight guide and aligns exactly in the center of the white circle of the front sight post. Since the red dot is reflected back toward your eye its not obscured like a traditional laser beam.

I’ve been practicing with the red dot and without the dot on, just looking through the DP lens. I’m getting on target faster now.

316ecd4b955959bca2bb7eea98eaff53.jpg

Here is something else to consider too. Leopold makes a rear notched sight that fits into the back of the DP. Even without a front suppressor sight getting the gun on target should still be enhanced, just be aligning the reflected red dot through the notch.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    First I envy the fact that you got the Q5. It’s been on my wish list for a while but I’ve got a G34 MOS so it seems a bit redundant for the limited space in the safe.

I wanted to make a comment on your comment about getting on target with the Deltapoint. I have the same issue when doing timed practice. However I just picked up a set of Dawson Suppressor Night Sights. The rear sight fits right behind the DP in the standard Glock Dovetail.

What I immediately noticed was that when everything is setup just right, the red dot falls perfectly between the rear sight guide and aligns exactly in the center of the white circle of the front sight post. Since the red dot is reflected back toward your eye its not obscured like a traditional laser beam.

I’ve been practicing with the red dot and without the dot on, just looking through the DP lens. I’m getting on target faster now.

316ecd4b955959bca2bb7eea98eaff53.jpg

Here is something else to consider too. Leopold makes a rear notched sight that fits into the back of the DP. Even without a front suppressor sight getting the gun on target should still be enhanced, just be aligning the reflected red dot through the notch.

Holy crap, I was just about to create a new post asking about using Dawson sights with a DP Pro!
    I'm going to get my slide milled and use the DP Pro with the DP rear sight, so I only need a front sight. The guy doing the work suggests the Dawson .460 front sight for this combo. I'm wondering if I should get the standard black, fiber optic, or tritium sight? At most it will be $50, so that's not a huge concern. I'm wondering if the "lit" sights are necessary. Also, do they interfere with the dot and target acquisition? I guess if everything lines up perfectly, then it shouldn't be a problem.
    What are the odds that I'll be in a DGU situation in such low light that I can't see my black front sight and my red dot fails? At that point I should realize that God hates me and is rooting for the other guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom