• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just shoot what you have. You're not going to win any Cadillacs anytime soon, just go out and have fun. Bring at least three standard capacity magazines, get extensions as you progress. Your two-piece belt works, just get a decent drop/offset extension for your holster if you don't have one already. Shoot, learn, adapt. I meet a lot of other shooters who have come over from IDPA and haven't gone back.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Shoot whatever gun you have that you can hit stuff with.
    OR: you can spend ~$3 to $5,000 on a nice 2011 race gun and a few magazines to with it and go out and just maybe, score a little higher?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    You could always get your g17 milled for a dot and shoot carry optics. That's the only full capacity minor scored division.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    It's not so much that I'm scared of .40S&W so much as I don't really want to put yet another caliber in my collection.

I can understand that, I shoot 40 in Single stack becasue I was already set up to load 40, and it gives me the option to shoot major or minor.

In your situation my recommendation would be have fun in Limited minor for a few matches and get a feel for how USPSA works. Expect your score to be a easy 5% lower than if you were shooting Major. If you're okay with loosing to guys shooting major stick with it. You'll always have that excuse in your back pocket if you need it. ;) Switching to major will basically give you free points, and you'll always finish better shooting it. (that applies to Limited and Open)

Otherwise after you get a feel for the sport, I would pick a division better suited for your firearm choice. I'd say production becasue it's a easy fit. But if you want to fill your mags up you could always put a dot on your gun and shoot CO. I'd buy a extra slide to mount the Dot on, then just switch top ends when you go back to IDPA.

There is also L-10, basically no one shoots it so it doesn't really matter what you shoot.:rolleyes:

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Shoot whatever gun you have that you can hit stuff with.
    OR: you can spend ~$3 to $5,000 on a nice 2011 race gun and a few magazines to with it and go out and just maybe, score a little higher?

You don't even need to spend that, a glock 35 will still get you major scoring. How many charlie's do you shoot in a match? How many delta's? We can quickly figure out exactly how many more points you would have shooting major.

I don't think anyone is saying he should go buy a new gun just to try USPSA. But, if he decides to stick with Limited he should really consider shooting major.

What ever you do, don't be that guy how shoots for Limited minor for a few months then goes over to Enos and starts another thread about how Limited minor should be it's own division because it's not fair to shoot against guys shooting Major. I hate that, don't come in and want to change the whole sport becasue they aren't competitive with their chosen firearm. Don't be that guy.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You don't even need to spend that, a glock 35 will still get you major scoring. How many charlie's do you shoot in a match? How many delta's? We can quickly figure out exactly how many more points you would have shooting major.

I don't think anyone is saying he should go buy a new gun just to try USPSA. But, if he decides to stick with Limited he should really consider shooting major.

What ever you do, don't be that guy how shoots for Limited minor for a few months then goes over to Enos and starts another thread about how Limited minor should be it's own division because it's not fair to shoot against guys shooting Major. I hate that, don't come in and want to change the whole sport becasue they aren't competitive with their chosen firearm. Don't be that guy.

So now you are competing with guys with real RACE guns and at a disadvantage to them. It never ends if you really have to win, you really have to spend money.
    I shoot a 4" Springfield XD in 40 @ 3 gun matches. Every body tells me how much of a disadvantage I am in because of "That Pistol". I don't care about winning, I shoot to have fun.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    So now you are competing with guys with real RACE guns and at a disadvantage to them. It never ends if you really have to win, you really have to spend money.
    I shoot a 4" Springfield XD in 40 @ 3 gun matches. Every body tells me how much of a disadvantage I am in because of "That Pistol". I don't care about winning, I shoot to have fun.

If you really want to win you have to practice. You can get really far with just lots of dry fire which doesn't cost any money at all. The gun really isn't that big of a deal, you don't have to $$$$ on the best thing. You can easily make Master in IDPA with a vary basic grasp of what you're doing. A to M in USPSA is vary achievable with a solid dryfire routine.

If you want to be competitive shooting Limited, Major is one way to literally buy more points for pennies. Every shot out of the A-zone is worth more points. Unless you shoot all A's major will improve your score. Buying a more expensive gun will most likely not improve your score. On partial targets the difference in Major and Minor become huge.

But, if it doesn't matter at all where you finish or how well you shoot, none of this applies to you and it can all be ignored.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I like the suggestion that the OP look at the Carry Optics division. You get to blast away and not worry about being at a scoring disadvantage.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Otherwise after you get a feel for the sport, I would pick a division better suited for your firearm choice. I'd say production becasue it's a easy fit. But if you want to fill your mags up you could always put a dot on your gun and shoot CO. I'd buy a extra slide to mount the Dot on, then just switch top ends when you go back to IDPA.
    Clever idea, and maybe something I could use. I was planning on building out a Swenson slide using a spare FastFire3 I have lying around, and could mount that up on my G17 frame.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Clever idea, and maybe something I could use. I was planning on building out a Swenson slide using a spare FastFire3 I have lying around, and could mount that up on my G17 frame.

Just make sure that slide doesn't have holes in it for the purpose of lighter weight, but otherwise a great idea.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    If you really want to win you have to practice. You can get really far with just lots of dry fire which doesn't cost any money at all. The gun really isn't that big of a deal, you don't have to $$$$ on the best thing. You can easily make Master in IDPA with a vary basic grasp of what you're doing. A to M in USPSA is vary achievable with a solid dryfire routine.

If you want to be competitive shooting Limited, Major is one way to literally buy more points for pennies. Every shot out of the A-zone is worth more points. Unless you shoot all A's major will improve your score. Buying a more expensive gun will most likely not improve your score. On partial targets the difference in Major and Minor become huge.

But, if it doesn't matter at all where you finish or how well you shoot, none of this applies to you and it can all be ignored.

Yes I know it does not apply to me, I just don't care. I was a USPSA RO and know how scoring works. I have shot with men who dry fire a lot, but they also shoot 1,000 or more rounds every month. You have to learn how to call your shots.
    My point is to start, just shoot what you have and see if this is really the game for you. If you have a 9 you have just as much fun shooting USPSA as you can with full blown 38 super.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If I ever get back into shooting USPSA I have my G34 setup as a mix and match setup in one bag. One slide with an RMR mounted and one without and 2 barrels, one plain and one ported (actually a third comped barrel also but I have to use different ammo in that one to cycle). I can mix and match to shoot Open, Limited, and Carry Optics plus adding and subtracting things like thumb rests, magwell types, and other things. Currently I just use it for Steel Challenge which does not have power factors.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Just make sure that slide doesn't have holes in it for the purpose of lighter weight, but otherwise a great idea.

I don't follow the CO rules closely, but I'm pretty sure you can now cut holes in your slide to save weight if you like.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes I know it does not apply to me, I just don't care. I was a USPSA RO and know how scoring works. I have shot with men who dry fire a lot, but they also shoot 1,000 or more rounds every month. You have to learn how to call your shots.
    My point is to start, just shoot what you have and see if this is really the game for you. If you have a 9 you have just as much fun shooting USPSA as you can with full blown 38 super.

I agree 100% to start just go shoot what you have. I think what got the debate started was BigT saying "don't get married to the idea of Limited Minor". Which I also agree with 100%. Once you get your feet wet, if you like it I recommend either getting a gun for the division you want to shoot, or finding the most competitive place for the gun you have.

I also recommend trying other peoples guns before you buy anything. I'll gladly let anyone check my gear on at the safe table. If the club will allow it you can shoot it after the match. Anything I can do help people make a informed decision.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Sport can beat up your Sport .

Sounds like a sporting challenge to shoot IPSC again after 35yrs ( that's what it was called back then) . In limited Minor, three times just to prove it can be done .

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    My Sport can beat up your Sport .

Sounds like a sporting challenge to shoot IPSC again after 35yrs ( that's what it was called back then) . In limited Minor, three times just to prove it can be done .

What exactly will you be proving? Are you going to prove you can shoot minor and not care how you finish? If you just want to prove that you can shoot minor, I can tell you you're right. It's perfectly legal and I see people do it all the time. Unless there is a pretty big skill gap major will win. That's why I recommend major if you wish to see how well you can do in Limited.

Now if you're going to prove that minor can compete with major that I'd like to see. If the match isn't to far I'll come shoot Minor with you. It's certainly possible to win shooting Minor, that doesn't make Minor better than Major.

A lot has changed in 35 years, Back when this sport started a 10 second El Prez was considered a good run. Now 5 seconds is considered good, and some of the top guys can get sub 4.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This entire major vs minor discussion is kind of academic for me, because I don't have a rig to shoot major remotely competitively. Like... the only pistols I've got in major are .45ACP, and they're a semi-modern 1911 and a double-stack sub-compact 1911 (BUL M5 Ultra). I guess I could theoretically shoot it with the latter if I had a holster for it, but let's be real, it would not end well compared to all the dudes with Glock 35s, nevermind real race guns.

So, I'm stuck with 9mm either way. It devolves into whether I want to shoot Production or Limited Minor right now. Maybe I'll try CO later, though.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not sure why this thread is at 4 pages... op wants to shoot uspsa with his g17 loaded up, so do it and have fun. can always do another division later, or, gasp, do what we all do and buy another gun for the desired task at hand.

but since you mentioned it, uspsa does have a single stack division. of course, with the 8+1 mag capacity restrictions (for major .45) you'll be doing even more reloading than in production division with your g17, so guess that's moot, but at least you know if you didn't already.

Special conditions:
    — Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom