• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Didn't read the whole thread but it's perfectly legal to carry concealed on church property if the head of the property, usually a pastor, gives the okay. Maybe excluding churches that hold service in a public school building.

There's no need for a law really unless you're told no. Perhaps they are thinking a permit that would allow citizens to be armed from home to church then back home only, limited concealed carry.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Can we talk about this bill? If the church and it's property is considered private property, isn't it the owner's right to allow anyone they want to carry? It shouldn't matter if it's open carry or concealed carry. As long as the person does not leave the confines of the owner's property. Now if the church is considered a business, isn't it the right of the business owner to allow their employees to carry? It shouldn't matter if the employee is open carrying or concealed carrying.

So now the only thing the church, which is operating as a business, has to do is employ each member of the congregation as a member of their security force, I see this already being perfectly legal.

Either way, I see no reason for a bill to become law to allow the congregation to carry while on church property. Just have to follow a few rules of the land.

I posed a similar question to a member at our church who I believe is a Trooper in the Licensing Div earlier this week. Part of his reply is "Who owns the Church"? It is not the Pastor. Is it the Board of Deacons?, the Trustees? For liability purposes, who is on the blame line.

Another thing he brought up, non-licensed authorized to carry. How do they get it to Church legally to carry. If not on the way to the range or other authorized reason to transport, a person cannot just transport otherwise. Once the firearm is on Church grounds, gtg, but getting it there is the problem.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Another thing he brought up, non-licensed authorized to carry. How do they get it to Church legally to carry. If not on the way to the range or other authorized reason to transport, a person cannot just transport otherwise. Once the firearm is on Church grounds, gtg, but getting it there is the problem.

I thought the designated collector paper gave an excuse for transport?
    :sarcasm: :deadhorse:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I posed a similar question to a member at our church who I believe is a Trooper in the Licensing Div earlier this week. Part of his reply is "Who owns the Church"? It is not the Pastor. Is it the Board of Deacons?, the Trustees? For liability purposes, who is on the blame line.

This is where a rifle eliminates the transport issues. Rifles create an "optics" issue though. IME, most people like the thought of feeling safe (Guards carrying concealed handguns), but get weird when rifles come into play.

IME, many Christians feel that they dont need protection from the worlds monsters so they oppose arming people. Jesus wanted his disciples to be armed, why modern day Christans think otherwise is beyond me.

I also believe that any person who carries out armed services in MD has to be licensed and pass a qualification if it is a paid position under current regulations. Would this new bill chamge that?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

The church could announce a gun show before or after each service. Not a commercial type buy and see show, but a meeting of gun collectors, which is how gun shows started anyway.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

The church could announce a gun show before or after each service. Not a commercial type buy and sell show, but a meeting of gun collectors, which is how gun shows started anyway.

There could also be regular dog obedience classes.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is timely.

Our church is in the final stretch of hiring a new Youth Minister and the candidate and his wife are up this weekend and tonight they were meeting with all the youth and their parents. About 7:30 a guy robs the Kohls across the street and was hiding out on our church campus. Everyone inside was on lock down until K9 caught him hiding in a stairwell.

No idea if he was armed or not, I was getting texts from a buddy of mine who was in the meeting.

YZF-R1

Aug 22, 2010
    It may not be prohibited to carry in church but the provision exists to prohibit:

Localities may further regulate the carrying of firearms within 100 yards of or in (Md. Code Ann. Crim. Law §4-209(b)(1):
    A park
    A church
    A school
    A public building
    Any other place of public assembly

Stagstalker

Jan 15, 2017
    The cesspool of MD
    Need legislation, introduce a Bill to allow church's to establish a security dept with volunteers {not paid employees/no tax deduc or workers comp, ect.} this way those members can get ccw. Maybe this is already possible thru employment law. Could be security depts popping up everywhere...?

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    Need legislation, introduce a Bill to allow church's to establish a security dept with volunteers {not paid employees/no tax deduc or workers comp, ect.} this way those members can get ccw. Maybe this is already possible thru employment law. Could be security depts popping up everywhere...?

Don't need a law. My Church has a security team already with 12-14 members, all volunteers and all have CCW, some strictly because of being on the team.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Looks like she may be reintroducing the bill, due to last weeks Texas church shooting.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Looks like she may be reintroducing the bill, due to last weeks Texas church shooting.

She has said on FB that she is and Sheriff Gahler was on WBAL this morning talking about it.

Gahler was making my ears bleed when asked if those who carried in church's would have to undergo training first and his response was that it would be up to each individual congregation but even those who get carry permits don't have to have training, just have G&S and pass a background check. :wtf::facepalm::whack:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom