Battle of Viers Mill Village (July 6, 1950)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I've recently read two interesting blog articles about a home invasion defense in MoCO back in 1950. A groups of WWII vets and their wives in the Wheaton area of MoCO took on four home invaders and prevailed. The invaders appeared to be unarmed, but for three weeks were supposedly targeting homes at night where women were alone.

The "battle" started after one young widow, who was alone at home with her two kids, began firing a rifle "after the German Luger jammed" to stop the guys from breaking in to her house.

Here is one very short reprinted article (the blog post delves into the spelling of "Viers" vs. "Veirs"):
    http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/05/pistol-packing-mamas-round-up-marauders.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zRtJbJnUB78/TeI5eGbTcrI/AAAAAAAAIYM/jHBhuyUlN94/s400/ViersMillVillage..jpg

And another transcribed article with more details:
    http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/06/battle-of-viers-mill-village-part-two.html
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JwchJT8N2oE/TeZT_KxX4-I/AAAAAAAAIZc/S86EyN1aeCY/s400/viersMillVillage.jpg

The part that stuck out is this: the second article says that while the 3-week home invasion spree was ongoing, MoCO beat officers advised the vets and their wives to arm themselves. After the invaders were caught, the MoCO police chief said he would investigate the report of the "arm yourselves" advice, and called it "foolish."

The more things change in MoCO, the more they stay the same . . . :rolleyes:

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    . After the invaders were caught, the MoCO police chief said he would investigate the report of the "arm yourselves" advice, and called it "foolish."

Wow! Even in the patriotic 50's, in a nation full of returning victorious veterans, MoCo was still full of pussies.

What are the odds that the "Chief" was not man enough to wear the uniform of his country's armed forces?

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Wow! Even in the patriotic 50's, in a nation full of returning victorious veterans, MoCo was still full of pussies.

What are the odds that the "Chief" was not man enough to wear the uniform of his country's armed forces?
    Pretty low actually. Back then, EVERYBODY served. Even liberals and pussies.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Wish my Dad was alive, I'd ask him about that. He was a FBI Agent and this was close to our house, but about 5 years before I was born.

John2510

Feb 15, 2011
    Silver Spring, since 1973
    I live a few blocks from there, and have for 20 years. I hadn't heard this story, but there have been a murder it two in the interim, so I guess it got lost in the shuffle. The demographics of the neighborhood have shifted pretty dramatically since then too.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Website blocked - "Militancy/Extremist"

I'll check this out later as I just moved from Aspen Hill and would love to see an article about fighting back in modern crap whole area.

tanglebones

Jan 3, 2009
    well, perhaps the Korean war, in which he would have had to serve at the time of the incident. However, doesn't necessarily mean that since he missed war time service that he didn't serve at all...

Still - for LE to make disparaging comments against lawful citizens protecting their homes with arms is pretty stark.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Great Post

I grew up in Montgomery County. My mother still lives there and I know what it has turned in to. If this event were to take place now, the women would be arrested.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Finally got to read the article. Great find. It's hard to find that type of solidarity among neighbors these days. Might be kinda cool to live in a neighborhood made up of veterans and service members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom