• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    JeepDriver told me about the Bolt Release and Mag Release Extension for the 10-22. Those two mods were the best mods I can remember doing on ANY firearm. That is the way they should come from the factory. While you have it all broken down, make sure to replace the hammer- About as good as a trigger job. Check his suppressed 10-22 thread. In the original post he has the list of mods. Do these and you wont believe the difference.

The only thing I like about the Remington is the ergonomics of the controls. I can't stand the bolt latch lever on the Ruger or the mag release. The controls are MUCH more intuitive on the Remington 597... also it has a free-floated barrel. Any opinions?

I'll check out rimfirecentral.com as well

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If you are near a Sports Authority you can usually pick one up for
    around $145. Basic model, synthetic stock, fixed sites, red dot scope,etc.
    Got mine their but since then have upgraded trigger and replaced
    the scope.

:o

The Sports Authority near me does not sell guns or ammo.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Does it have to be a semi auto smores? I have a CZ that shoots great right out of the box, of course it shot better when I put the glass on it.

I wouldn't mind a bolt gun... I love my CZ-75B and my Vz-82 when I had it. Does your CZ have the trigger you can press forward for a lighter pull? I read about that feature somewhere...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You know, after reading numerous reviews I'm leaning towards the 597. Full adult-sized synthetic stock, free floating bull barrel that is very accurate (even more accurate than some 10/22 aftermarket barrels), ergonomic controls and a scope for $170... I might go with that. The trigger sucks but a $35 aftermarket hammer supposedly helps.

I'm gonna spend at least $375 getting a 10/22 the way I like it. I can't stand the standard stock, bolt release/hold open and mag release either. The only parts on a 10/22 I'd keep would be the reciever and mags lol...

The money I save can go to ammo or that Walther P22 I always wanted!

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    smores,

The 597 is a pretty good little gun. I would also second the CZ452. That has just got to be the most accurate out of the box bolt gun on the market.

I think the 10/22's allure is not necessarily it's inherent accuracy, though some people shoot pretty well with them, but rather its ubiquitous availability of parts and gizmos. It's a kit gun that you can make your own.

I know I'm totally hooked on the thing. I've got a list of mods a mile long that I want to do to it just as a fun project.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I wouldn't mind a bolt gun... I love my CZ-75B and my Vz-82 when I had it. Does your CZ have the trigger you can press forward for a lighter pull? I read about that feature somewhere...

I don't think so, there was something in the manual about the trigger but I didn't read it because I wasn't gonna mess with it anyway. I will have to check that out though. I bought it so my daughter and I can go plinking together, it works great for cheap shootin. It was sub 1/2" MOA at 50yds. with remington thunderbolt, I was very impressed cause the stock 10/22 can't get that job done.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

The CZ453 they came out with a relatively short time ago has the single set trigger.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'd love a CZ rifle, but they're about twice what the Rem 597 and 10/22 are going for. I think I'm gonna go with the Rem. rifle if I get enough x-mas cash :)

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    The Sports Authority near me does not sell guns or ammo.

You know, after reading numerous reviews I'm leaning towards the 597. Full adult-sized synthetic stock, free floating bull barrel that is very accurate (even more accurate than some 10/22 aftermarket barrels), ergonomic controls and a scope for $170... I might go with that. The trigger sucks but a $35 aftermarket hammer supposedly helps.

I'm gonna spend at least $375 getting a 10/22 the way I like it. I can't stand the standard stock, bolt release/hold open and mag release either. The only parts on a 10/22 I'd keep would be the reciever and mags lol...

The money I save can go to ammo or that Walther P22 I always wanted!

The P22's are fun. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom