• mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I saw this thread and got all excited...then I saw it was from November

FWIW, I prefer CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Thunderbolt is absolute garbage. You can actually hear the difference in load in each shell that goes off. Horrible ammo. I don't care how cheap it is, I won't put any more of it in my guns. In fact I'll bring all my Thunderbolt ammo to the next shoot and whoever wants it can take it. Trust me, if you care at all about your guns, buy something better.

houserocker

Guero Loco
    Jan 14, 2008
    Laurel, DE
    I fired about 350 rounds of that Federal red brick stuff at the Frostbite Shoot through my H&R revolver and through my Winchester 190 autoloader with no FTF. Had some loading problems with the Winchester until I realized I hadn't lubed it after cleaning it last.A few squirts of oil and no more feed problems.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I have had a completely opposite experience with my daughters 10/22 and her MKIII, The 10/22 doesn't like the federals and quite a few have failed to go bang but the remington thunderbolts have been fine. Her pistol on the other hand has fired either with no problems other than the occassional no bang round, for the price I think we can put up with a couple that don't go bang.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    hehe, 3rdrcn, as you know, i like to play .22 Sniper! thus i spend money to buy Fiocchi! i must be the only SOB that shoots the stuff. at least around here. i can always tell the smell of the powder. its different enough that when the GF or a friend is firing my Savage, i can tell by smell alone from all the way down the line!

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    hehe, 3rdrcn, as you know, i like to play .22 Sniper! thus i spend money to buy Fiocchi! i must be the only SOB that shoots the stuff. at least around here. i can always tell the smell of the powder. its different enough that when the GF or a friend is firing my Savage, i can tell by smell alone from all the way down the line!

Which fiocci do you shoot? link?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    As stated above, this stuff doesn't work very well in the Remington 597. Also, the Rem Yellow Hacket HP ammo works pretty poorly. You'd think that ammo from the same brand would work the best, but CCI mini mags have never let me down. I went through probably 50-60 of those this past weekend at Cresap, didn't have one failure (impressive for .22, at least compared to Remington)!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    sorry for my tardiness in reply, 3rdrcn....

http://www.22ammo.com/fiocchi.html

i use the 38 grain in my Savage normally.

i use some Federal Champion solids (40 grain lead) sometimes, but only for playing around in pistols as the waxy buildup in my barrels decreases precision and pisses me off. i prefer copper-plated projectiles. fiocchi is still my favorite but Federal GameShok is a close second and are generally still reasonably priced.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    (Stingers won't feed in a lot of semi-auto or lever actions, though.)

I like all Remington 22 ammo. It works good in all my guns. But, out of all Remington 22 ammo I like the Golden Bullets the best! They work in everything well. As for CCI Stingers not working in some guns, it is due to the shells O.A.L. The case length is just alittle bit longer than standard 22 ammo. Also,If you shoot alot of non-coated 22 ammo you will need to clean your gun a whole lot more often to insure dependabilty , because of chamber and rifling fouling.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    aguilia ammo

The Aguilia 22SSS is smoking hot too! You can really smell the difference.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I fired about 250 rounds of Thunderbolt ammo out of my P22 a couple weeks ago. I had one misfire, but that round fired when I cycled it through the gun a second time. As mentioned though, the odd round seems like it doesn't have enough powder. I remember three occasions where the sound of the gun was different, and recoil was noticeably lighter. It was different enough from the previous rounds that I pulled the mag out, racked the slide, and had a look down the barrel to make sure I didn't still have a bullet stuck in there. I also prefer Mini Mags, but for the price difference I'll keep shooting the Remington bulk packs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom