• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Our rights will continue to be infringed until July 1st, when the situation here in Virginia will become slightly more tolerable for those of us with "permits" to protect our family and selves with concealed handguns.

Virginia bans "bars." We DO have restaurants that serve alcohol though; and we CAN carry handguns in such establishments. Caveat has been: we must "open carry."

When I've gone into places that serve, I just take off my coat or overshirt on the way in and, surprisingly, most folks don't notice. One of the few times someone commented, it was at a Chipotle next to a convention center where there was a gun show &, in another area, a wine tasting. Some NYC-type glared at us & finally asked us something like: "why did we feel the need to carry dangerous guns around in public and what right did we have to put him & his wife in danger by doing so?" We asked if he was coing from the wine tasting (he was) - so we asked what right did he have putting US in danger by driving after such an event, and was he aware that HE was breaking the law, while we were in compliance with it? (he went away mad. Oh well).

But I'd rather not bother uncovering. Further, I don't need to advertize the fact that I am carrying to protect my safety.

At any rate, do not give up hope, MD! Join MSI and get active. :party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Our rights will continue to be infringed until July 1st, when the situation here in Virginia will become slightly more tolerable for those of us with "permits" to protect our family and selves with concealed handguns.

Virginia bans "bars." We DO have restaurants that serve alcohol though; and we CAN carry handguns in such establishments. Caveat has been: we must "open carry."

When I've gone into places that serve, I just take off my coat or overshirt on the way in and, surprisingly, most folks don't notice. One of the few times someone commented, it was at a Chipotle next to a convention center where there was a gun show &, in another area, a wine tasting. Some NYC-type glared at us & finally asked us something like: "why did we feel the need to carry dangerous guns around in public and what right did we have to put him & his wife in danger by doing so?" We asked if he was coing from the wine tasting (he was) - so we asked what right did he have putting US in danger by driving after such an event, and was he aware that HE was breaking the law, while we were in compliance with it? (he went away mad. Oh well).

But I'd rather not bother uncovering. Further, I don't need to advertize the fact that I am carrying to protect my safety.

At any rate, do not give up hope, MD! Join MSI and get active. :party29:

The Virginia tuck's days are numbered. hallelujah

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009

At the last SoMD Meet & Greet, I had someone (I forget who) explain the logic used for why cops in NoVA prefer concealed carry to open carry. Apparently there are a lot of idiots in the area who assume MD and VA have the same laws regarding open carry (that it's illegal) and the cops get "man with a gun" calls too much.

Cowboy T

Also, if a BG sees an open carrier, that means "shoot that person first, he can shoot back." But once carriers can legally do it concealed, the BG doesn't have that advantage anymore. Might think twice and decide not to be a BG after all, which would be a very good thing.

July 1 cannot come soon enough.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    you're perfectly legal to OC in a restaurant serving alcohol right now. the CC provision is added July 1. Not a lot of infringement as I see it.

Unless you get the aforementioned idiots or gun-grabbers who don't know about the law calling the police, which could be a hassle at minimum. Right to Bear Arms infringed? Not really. Pain in the tuchus? Yup. Not that I would know, but I am just guessing.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Guns in bars have little impact on crime
    You would think a VA newspaper would get it right:

1: THERE ARE NO BARS IN VIRGINIA. There are restaurants that serve alcohol, but no bars.

2: It was perfectly legal to open carry in a "bar" before

Maybe I'm playing a "word game", but don't think so.

To the uninformed, the words "You can now carry a gun in a bar", is misleading. A "Bar" is a place one goes to drink, with few exceptions. And no one has any business carrying if they've been drinking.

Most nice restaurants where you might take your family- serve alcohol, there are plenty of reasons to be there that don't involve drinking.

When this originally hit the news, I don't know how many times I heard something like, "Wow, I can't believe Virginia is going to allow people to carry guns in bars", - and my response was always the same- " There are no bars in Virginia" :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom