• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Odd question:

On average, in service use, by say state or county police, how long would a modern issue pistol be serviceable?

I see occasionally some department or the other is replacing their pistols wholesale.

Why would a department change out the entire force at once?
    Are they changed out because they're worn out?
    Because they've become unreliable?
    Caliber change? (I'd guess that may be a prime factor)
    Safer?
    More reliable?

I know in trucks and cars, fleet maintenance is very different than individual ownership.
    How different is managing the maintenance and replacement programs in an arsenal?

Fair 'nuff.
    I'm assuming (unfairly?) that a Statey would seldom, if ever, fire a round on patrol/field duty. I'll admit I'm clueless, but it seems (via TV reporting, yeah, I know...) that every time an officer discharges their weapon, it seems to make headlines.
    That would leave practice and qualification. How much is that? Of course, I've seen LEOS on the range, but really, not that many. The opposite end of the spectrum, there are urban rumors of cartridges electrolsis-welded in some old wheel guns. Obviously, those never saw regular maintenance...

So, rounds fired. Is there a requirement to log practice rounds/times? I guess that could be determined by the ammunition draw from each officer from the armory.
    So, just as in fleet management, there are maintenance schedules, and vehicles with a wide range of mileage. Vehicles are replaced on a schedule and many times a specific vehicle type is replaced across the board.

So it would seem there has to be a plan based on time rather than rounds/maintenance, as maintenance is scheduled, other than a breakdown of the weapon. I mean, how else would someone make a fiscal argument that this is THE YEAR all firearms need replacement?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Reality is that I have some old police trade ins older than most people here that shoot great. Parts wear, but they can be replaced. Police trade ins are in fact a fantastic value. They are maybe shot a few times a year to qualify, and might show some holster wear.

Why change? Often it's because the government spends your tax dollars on the new hotness, because it can.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Odd question:

On average, in service use, by say state or county police, how long would a modern issue pistol be serviceable?

I see occasionally some department or the other is replacing their pistols wholesale.

Why would a department change out the entire force at once?
    Are they changed out because they're worn out?
    Because they've become unreliable?
    Caliber change? (I'd guess that may be a prime factor)
    Safer?
    More reliable?

I know in trucks and cars, fleet maintenance is very different than individual ownership.
    How different is managing the maintenance and replacement programs in an arsenal?

Police departments change out usually not because pistols are worn out, but just because it is cheaper to trade and get new than keep maintaining what they have.

From my experience a police handgun will get at most around 3,000 rounds when new if issued to an academy recruit (maybe a tenth of that if to a street officer), then around 100 rounds annually at requalification. Most cops do not shoot on their own time, in fact many departments prohibit shooting a departmental weapon at any range but their own, and you don't get to just go do that when you want despite Hollywood says :) . So after 7-10 years the gun is going to be way under its useable service life of 10,000+ rounds before major parts may need replacement.

However, then you add up the costs to start maintaining those guns after around 7 years with replacement night sights, recoil and mag springs, other replacement parts, and armorer time. With the math it just becomes cheaper and more efficient to trade in what you have for new.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Ever bought a vehicle from a government surplus auction? Most government equipment falls somewhere on the bell curve with a few being worn out and a few being un-issued and like new. The vast majority is somewhere in between. Some need lots of internal springs and parts replaced and others will be fine for years of moderate use without needing anything more than better cleaning than they were getting by the personnel they were issued to.

I think most government surplus, including guns, are a great deal, but like everything, you get a better deal when you know what you are looking for and can spot the difference between a vehicle with 10,000 miles and low engine wear and a vehicle with 10,000 miles that has been parked and idling for 8 to 10 hours everyday for three years.

One of the things that Glock really seemed to do well back in the 1980s when they were pushing S&W and Colt out of the LE market was selling whole life plans with their guns. Glock not only sold a good, service weapon at a very competitive price, but the included training for armorers, replacement parts and replacement weapons over the set time frame of the contract. Other manufacturers eventually learned to emulate these types of contract features but Glock really seemed to pave the way. Another interesting thing that Glock was very clever about is they established a buy back from departments where they would take back all of their older generation pistols and replace them with newer generation pistols giving credit for the trade-ins toward the new firearms. Glock then offset the cost by selling the trade ins to the public at costs no one could really compete with. It turned the plastic pistol into the market's leading handgun. Just looking at the bottom line as many departments will, Glock buy back upgrades were an easy choice.

I have turned in four SIG issued pistols over my career. Three of them because the night sights were becoming dim. Our armorers don't normally change night sights. They send the handgun back to SIG and SIG sends us a new pistol for a nominal replacement cost. SIG sells the old pistol as a trade-in. For the cost of a set of night sights, the trade-ins cost far less than a brand new, non-LE issued handgun. Everyone seems to be getting a good deal.

Just like anything, at some point it is cheaper to upgrade than continue to repair. This is the modern manufacturing world we live in.

Reality is that I have some old police trade ins older than most people here that shoot great. Parts wear, but they can be replaced. Police trade ins are in fact a fantastic value. They are maybe shot a few times a year to qualify, and might show some holster wear.

Why change? Often it's because the government spends your tax dollars on the new hotness, because it can.

That, too, was my cynical thought. I still believe there's something to that...I'm trying hard to break out of my cynicism, but the way things look vs what they looked in the past, it becomes a very difficult goal.

Police departments change out usually not because pistols are worn out, but just because it is cheaper to trade and get new than keep maintaining what they have.

From my experience a police handgun will get at most around 3,000 rounds when new if issued to an academy recruit (maybe a tenth of that if to a street officer), then around 100 rounds annually at requalification. Most cops do not shoot on their own time, in fact many departments prohibit shooting a departmental weapon at any range but their own, and you don't get to just go do that when you want despite Hollywood says :) . So after 7-10 years the gun is going to be way under its useable service life of 10,000+ rounds before major parts may need replacement.

However, then you add up the costs to start maintaining those guns after around 7 years with replacement night sights, recoil and mag springs, other replacement parts, and armorer time. With the math it just becomes cheaper and more efficient to trade in what you have for new.

Thanks. That does reflect the departmental weapon life-cycle answer I was looking for. I did find odd, from your statement, that most departments prohibit firing a departmental at any range but their own. What I found even more odd that one can't just "drop in" to the departmental range to hone skills. I suspect that may be partially governed by Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that mandates payment for training - under which practice at the departmental range would fall. Budget considerations would restrict both time and ammunition costs - as well as additional range maintenance. (just a hypothesis)

Ever bought a vehicle from a government surplus auction? Most government equipment falls somewhere on the bell curve with a few being worn out and a few being un-issued and like new. The vast majority is somewhere in between. Some need lots of internal springs and parts replaced and others will be fine for years of moderate use without needing anything more than better cleaning than they were getting by the personnel they were issued to.

I think most government surplus, including guns, are a great deal, but like everything, you get a better deal when you know what you are looking for and can spot the difference between a vehicle with 10,000 miles and low engine wear and a vehicle with 10,000 miles that has been parked and idling for 8 to 10 hours everyday for three years.

One of the things that Glock really seemed to do well back in the 1980s when they were pushing S&W and Colt out of the LE market was selling whole life plans with their guns. Glock not only sold a good, service weapon at a very competitive price, but the included training for armorers, replacement parts and replacement weapons over the set time frame of the contract. Other manufacturers eventually learned to emulate these types of contract features but Glock really seemed to pave the way. Another interesting thing that Glock was very clever about is they established a buy back from departments where they would take back all of their older generation pistols and replace them with newer generation pistols giving credit for the trade-ins toward the new firearms. Glock then offset the cost by selling the trade ins to the public at costs no one could really compete with. It turned the plastic pistol into the market's leading handgun. Just looking at the bottom line as many departments will, Glock buy back upgrades were an easy choice.

I have turned in four SIG issued pistols over my career. Three of them because the night sights were becoming dim. Our armorers don't normally change night sights. They send the handgun back to SIG and SIG sends us a new pistol for a nominal replacement cost. SIG sells the old pistol as a trade-in. For the cost of a set of night sights, the trade-ins cost far less than a brand new, non-LE issued handgun. Everyone seems to be getting a good deal.

Just like anything, at some point it is cheaper to upgrade than continue to repair. This is the modern manufacturing world we live in.

Your reference to the bell curve is entirely relevant. What I found extremely interesting is the Glock whole life plans with their guns. Smart. And the buy back programs? As you said, clever. Especially in this day and age, non-gun folks wring their hands worrying what to do with discarded weapons - some think they're given out like candy at Halloween or sold on the city streets to the gangstas', so they feel destruction is the only right thing to do - one gun off the streets thinking.
    Thank you all for your detailed responses and insights.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I've been trying to wear out my handguns by shooting them. Many thousands of rounds each and they all keep going. I'll keep on trying tho. (I've burned up over 10k so far in 2019) bob

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Back during the dark days of the Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban" with a national limit on magazine capacities other than law enforcement and military, Glock offered new LE marked magazines to many agencies fee of charge in trade for the older mags the agencies had. The police agencies received brand new magazines free and Glock received the old ones back to resell on the open market when hi-cap mags were going for big bucks. The people at Glock are pretty smart.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Thanks. That does reflect the departmental weapon life-cycle answer I was looking for. I did find odd, from your statement, that most departments prohibit firing a departmental at any range but their own. What I found even more odd that one can't just "drop in" to the departmental range to hone skills. I suspect that may be partially governed by Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that mandates payment for training - under which practice at the departmental range would fall. Budget considerations would restrict both time and ammunition costs - as well as additional range maintenance. (just a hypothesis)

From my experience most departments want a range officer on site whenever someone is firing. Those are usually training academy staff who have numerous other duties and cannot take range participants on a walk-in basis. Plus any department with a range will frequently have it booked up for formal training by either their own or nearby agencies. So extra time on the range usually has to be scheduled, if it can be had at all.

The Hollywood image of the indoor range in the police station where people can just go to hone their skills when they want, is something I have never seen anywhere. And it's going to become more rare as OSHA lead and HVAC regulations make range construction more particular. I do know there is still at least one city police district where they do have a range downstairs, but an not sure what their policies are about officers using it.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    From my experience most departments want a range officer on site whenever someone is firing. Those are usually training academy staff who have numerous other duties and cannot take range participants on a walk-in basis. Plus any department with a range will frequently have it booked up for formal training by either their own or nearby agencies. So extra time on the range usually has to be scheduled, if it can be had at all.

The Hollywood image of the indoor range in the police station where people can just go to hone their skills when they want, is something I have never seen anywhere. And it's going to become more rare as OSHA lead and HVAC regulations make range construction more particular. I do know there is still at least one city police district where they do have a range downstairs, but an not sure what their policies are about officers using it.

Zoo, you are correct. An officer cant just stop down at the range and shoot without scheduling, because a firearms instructor must be present, and there is usually other training going on that prevents impromptu shooting....I also know of few indoor ranges from the "old days" that are still used, because of air quality control issues.....the new indoor ranges are costly, and monitored by OSHA.

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    useful pistol life

Depends on the agency and their firearms guys. Some agencies hold on for dear life to the first pistol they were ever issuing, no matter the cost or support from the vendor. Some agencies want the newest and allegedly best weapons on the market. I have personally observed how certain manufactures quality standard slip when they begin making their weapons in the US vs Germany or Italy. You can't blame the companies for wanting to cash in on the US police handgun market, there's too much money to be made. When I was with a certain federal agency, we were issued Sig Sauer 228's, because that was who had the contract. A couple years later, Glock 23's were being issued. It's all about the money.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are also various grants, where departments get funding for various things, including new firearms.

That, plus they can sell the used ones and use that money for other things, means they will flip them, even with there is no real need to do so.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I know a guy that, back in the late 1990s begun a long term test of the Glock 17 to see how it held up. He never cleaned it beyond occasionally run a patch through the barrel. After close to 150k rounds it started to go "ka-chunk" and running a bit slower but never stopped operating and shooting. It was close to 160k rounds when he gave up trying. I don't remember how long a period it took but he was an instructor and carried the pistol most of the time.

I took several classes from him and he was definitely the best guy with a handgun I ever saw in person. In class everyone was expected to take no longer the two seconds from the whistle to unholster, get on target, place two rounds on target and lower to the ready position. When he fired he completed that before anyone else cleared leather. He was phenomenal but it was also his profession.

years ago we qualified twice a year, 500 rounds per qual, so in most cases the gun was fired 1000 or so times per year. Now i'm hearing many agencies are only shooting 200-250 rounds per qual. That's not a lot of rounds down the pipe..

Now, while building my Glock clones (P80) I have purchased 3 police trade in complete slides. Using calipers inside the barrel I could find zero appreciable wear on any of them. 2 had factory barrels and 1 was a Lonewolf aftermarket barrel. I think with proper service the life expectancy could be infinite as long as parts are available

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom