• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Situation: I feel like getting a centerfire bolt action rifle. I usually have a fair amount of 5.56 ammo on hand, so it makes sense to pick up another in that caliber.

I like steel and wood rifles over polymer, and iron sights, so I know this is an oddball. But what is out there that I should look at, either current or used?

The new toy would be entirely for target shooting, just out to maybe 200 yards, and for fun, so I don't need anything fancy. I'm just curious right now, no hurry, but let's see what anyone recommends...

SF

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    CZ’s Model 527 Carbine and Lux are current models that meet your specs.

Savage Hog Hunter will give you the irons, but not the wood. Same with the Scout.

Savage 110 and Weatherby Vanguard can give you the wood stock, but not the iron sights.

Lots of used rifles can potentially fit your requirements. Wood stocks with iron sights were once the norm.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Remington 700 varmint special. The older models came with wood stocks. I had the last one I owned converted to 6mm Hagar. I still have a Winchester model 70 HV in .223 though. Winchester did make a Model 70 varmint that came in a wood stock. Both can be found on the used market.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I just purchased this CZ 527FS in .223 two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it. I have similar CZ rifles in .22LR, 6.5x55 and .308 and they are all excellent...I expect this new one to be be just as fine a rifle as the others. If you buy one of these I don't think you'll be disappointed in any way.

CZ527FS.jpg

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I just purchased this CZ 527FS in .223 two weeks ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it. I have similar CZ rifles in .22LR, 6.5x55 and .308 and they are all excellent...I expect this new one to be be just as fine a rifle as the others. If you buy one of these I don't think you'll be disappointed in any way.

CZ527FS.jpg

That’s indeed a nice rifle and you were fortunate to get that. They discontinued them last year.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Another nice rifle in .223...if you can find one...is a Remington 788. They're not that common and not inexpensive when you do find them...but they're a great carbine in any caliber they were available in.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Interesting, the CZ - I have a CZ452 for my “good” 22, and I do like it a lot.

I guess I should start looking at consignments as they show up too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Don't shoot 5.56 out of a .223. Aside from the pressure differences, most .223 rifles have too slow twist rate.
    It's really not that big a deal in most cases

in fact, CZ says this about the 527

Our .223s will happily eat 5.56, since CIP doesn’t differentiate between the two cartridges and just has the higher pressure as its standard. So our .223s will shoot everything from the cheapest Russian steel to match .223 brass ammo.
    Their statement is a bit off though, Russian steel ammo is usually loaded on the light side.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have both the CZ527 carbine and the MVP in .223. Both are about the same in accuracy for lightweight loads but my 527 is the old 1:12. The MVP is better with heavy loads and easier to put a scope on. The 527 carbine requires high rings to clear the bolt handle and I tend to just run open sights.

In a beauty contest the 527 is an awesome piece of works manship, functional shooting about the same. To my knowledge they are really both 5.56 which will chamber .223 easily though most commercial ammo is becoming indistinguishable. Its not as big of a pressure gap as 7.62*51 to .308.

Remington 799 or Zastava mini-Mausers are awesome guns, my father has one that is incredible. Id buy one at the right price. I think they are all 1:9 now. They share the same bolt handle/scope clearance issue as the CZ.

chauncey

Feb 17, 2019
    I researched this same question and found that the Savage rifles in .223 are Not Recommended for use in 5.56.

Ruger and Mossberg are GTG but I did not research the CZ, so that's good info to have.

In addition to pressure considerations you may run into extraction problems as I believe the 5.56 brass is a little thicker and requires a slightly larger chamber.

The previous thought is based upon my experience using 7.62x51 in .308 bolt rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom