• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Im being forced to move to Maryland for work. Ive been on the phone with MSP about my LWRC M6ICSPR. They have assured me it is legal to bring in and possess and also said I don't have to register it. With that being said when I asked them where it was specifically exempted in the law they couldn't tell me. Im not sure if its exempted under the heavy barrel or the Piston system but can anyone tell me, specifically if they know, where this rifle or the piston operating system is shown as OK in the law. Thanks in advance.

As you can see this is my first post and this forum has been great about answering a lot of my questions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is not specifically exempted.

But it does not meet the requirements to be a copy of an enumerated banned firearm. The piston system does this. Under an AG letter, the two firearms must be parts interchangeable and still function.

There used to be a place were you could look up specific firearms to see if they are banned or not, but I thought it was not up any longer. Someone else may be able to help.

Also, if it has a heavy barrel (stamped that or as specified by the manufacturer, then it is exempted by the HBAR exemption.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    If it's not banned by the law then it's legal. The law didn't ban all guns then carve out exemptions. Only the enumerated guns, their copies, and the copycat test specify what is banned. If your gun doesn't fall under any of those categories or if you owned it before October 1, 2013 then you're good to go.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It is not specifically exempted.

But it does not meet the requirements to be a copy of an enumerated banned firearm. The piston system does this. Under an AG letter, the two firearms must be parts interchangeable and still function.

There used to be a place were you could look up specific firearms to see if they are banned or not, but I thought it was not up any longer. Someone else may be able to help.

Also, if it has a heavy barrel (stamped that or as specified by the manufacturer, then it is exempted by the HBAR exemption.
    Not disagreeing with you but why did they administratively ban the Ruger piston AR?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Not disagreeing with you but why did they administratively ban the Ruger piston AR?

Probably because it isn't stamp or labeled as a heavy barrel. Also to make a point to discourage manufactures changing firearms to be legal "No ones getting around our laws easily"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    here is the AG opinion of what constitutes a copy of a banned weapon. A piston AR cannot interchange parts with any banned rifle.

therefore legal. my not so legal opinion

Attachments

• AG ruling on copies.pdf
      237.7 KB · Views: 108

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    here is the AG opinion of what constitutes a copy of a banned weapon. A piston AR cannot interchange parts with any banned rifle.

MSP has specifically stated the Ruger AR is a copy after they were told it is piston based. WTF

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    MSP has specifically stated the Ruger AR is a copy after they were told it is piston based. WTF

Making up laws on the fly. . . .

"'When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

To take the matter a step farther:

“I am his Highness' dog at Kew;
    Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?”

― Alexander Pope

Apparently MSP is our master. I for one welcome our new overlords.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

I hear ya. But my Sig 516 is banned as a "Copy of the Colt AR15" and the SIg 516 is a piston gun. I don't think there are any interchangeable parts. I don't get it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    At least one piston rifle has been removed from the banned as a copy list by people contacting MSP and pointing this out.

The other ones may also be able to be removed from that list, but it will not happen automatically. Someone needs to contact MSP and point out their error.

They are NOT firearms people. Their first reaction will be, "It looks like an AR, therefore it must BE an AR."

And that list is not law, it is interpretation of the law by MSP.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Legalese usually hurts my head, but I read that brief by the AG. (:puke2:)

What struck me was the final conclusion.

For the reasons set forth above, it is our opinion that the
    reference to “copies” in PS §5-101(p)(2) does not extend the
    regulated firearms law to weapons that bear a mere cosmetic
    similarity to a listed weapon.

Clearly, it says that just because it looks like an AR 15 or other "banned" weapons, it is not necessarily a copy. This is good, because otherwise my S&W 15-22 would be banned.

Furthermore....

Rather, in order for a firearm to be
    considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed
    by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the
    internal components and function of the firearm in question and
    those of one of the listed weapons.

Notice it doesn't say "interchangeable". The term butthead used was "similarity between the internal components *and* function".

This may very well be the point that is keeping piston guns on the list. My Stag 8 has some similar internal components. The BCG is, in fact, similar. The short stroke piston, while completely different from a gas tube, could be interpreted as a mechanism that "pushes back" the BCG. And it is the same silver color and similar thickness.... :rolleyes:

Despite the obvious actual mechanism, the function is more or less (I use that very loosely and for argument sake only) the same. Especially to someone at MSP that is not well versed.

IANAL. But after reading it I thought I would throw this in, in order to speak to the piston conundrum. (partially because I own one..)

I don't agree with it, and please do think I am supporting the law or the brief. I am just trying to understand why all pistons wouldn't automatically come off the list.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Is there any case that determines how far the word similar can be stretched in this context?

Geez now they've got me doing it.
    Next I'll be asking what the meaning of the word "is", is. :sad20:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    At this point I am actually not sure. I guess I need an attorney. :)

A picture of the original, attached to a manikin, or otherwise present at the time of the act, does not qualify as a fully functioning copy... I think you will be okay.

:lol:

IANAL :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom