• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a weird one here and I can't find a video or article about this. I have the 6" TRP Operator in 10mm. Bushingless bull barrel with short guide rod. Looking at the front of the slide, there is a barrel and a plug. The plug doesn't move. It captures the recoil spring. Since the plug doesn't move, how do I get the barrel out? There is every variation but mine on YouTube. I'm sure my gunsmith likes it, but I'm trying not to have to visit him for a while.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Does it come out the back of the slide? If it doesn't go out the front with the floating ring (forgot the name) folded down, then maybe it is supposed to come out like the Browning HiPower? All the way back and up and out?

Q

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Does it come out the back of the slide? If it doesn't go out the front with the floating ring (forgot the name) folded down, then maybe it is supposed to come out like the Browning HiPower? All the way back and up and out?

Q

I tried that and it won't back out, either. The barrel is too thick.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Push the slide back enough to pull the slide stop pin out then slide the slide/barrel assembly off of the frame.

and then push the barrel all the way forward in the slide (compress the guide rod), cut a small "L" section out of a metal paper clip and insert that in the hole in the guide rod sticking out the front, and relax the barrel. that should take all the tension off. pull the guide rod out towards the chamber and the barrel should slide right out the front of the slide. at least that's how my sti's and wilson's worked with bull barrels.

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    and then push the barrel all the way forward in the slide (compress the guide rod), cut a small "L" section out of a metal paper clip and insert that in the hole in the guide rod sticking out the front, and relax the barrel. that should take all the tension off. pull the guide rod out towards the chamber and the barrel should slide right out the front of the slide. at least that's how my sti's and wilson's worked with bull barrels.

My friend has a RIA i think his is the same way.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

No full length guide rod on this one. The procedure you posted is what's in the manual but my SA has a short guide rod.

I'll post a picture when I can, I'm at work now and they frown on things like that.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    No problem. It gives us a break from the political ramblings threads. Something hands on, gun related.

Q

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    This is what the front looks like.

Attachments

• TRP-1.jpg
      TRP-1.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 206

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/review-springfield-armory-trp-10/247553

"Takedown on the TRP longslide required a bit of hand strength - and timing. The full-*length bull barrel's bushingless fit means that we can't remove the recoil plug and spring to ease spring tension prior to pushing out the slide stop lever to take off the slide assembly. What you do is, with your left thumb through the triggerguard from the left side, grasp the top of the slide around the front sight and flex the slide back to line up the slide stop with its removal cut. Press the tip of the slide stop to start it out, and thumbnail it free from the gun. Relax the left hand and the recoil spring will shove the slide assembly forward and off the frame. Reassemble in reverse." it doesn't say, so assuming at that point the barrel and recoil spring are free of tension so can be removed at that point...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Dave, I got that far. It's after I get the slide off and try to get the barrel out that the problem occurs.

that's funny, the article STOPS at the hard part.

i am doing the peacemaker supersteel tomorrow morning. if you are going to be there and want to bring it, i'd be happy to help you try and figure it out.

but yeah when you get home take a pic so we can try to see what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom