• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I'm just putting this out there: a petition for rulemaking was filed with the FCC to try to change amateur radio license terms from 10 years to the lifetime of the licensee. Comments are still being accepted: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=RM-11760

Cool, didn't know this was out there; I'll have to read up.

I appreciate the sentiment here, but you wouldn't believe how many people have become Silent Keys and FCC doesn't figure it out until the license comes up for renewal. Without a renewal period of some amount of time, the license database will be full of SKs whose families had no idea how to notify FCC to cancel the license. And don't forget, call signs are a limited resource.

Honestly, how hard is it to click a box online for free once every 10 years to let FCC know you're still able to click a button?

Other than the reminder; not that hard. If you register online (ULS #), why can't they just set the system up to generate a reminder email (or for those who don't do it online, like the old timers, mail them a reminder).

Not to mention, the what, 2 year grace period? So, if you let the license lapse you have 2 years to renew w/o having to retest.

The simplest solution is to do away with the whole retesting but you must have a valid licenses & call to transmit.

Im not yet a ham, but I do occasionally listen in, own a few HTs, attend ham events and meetings.

I read all of the current comment submission: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/execute?proceeding=RM-11760

It seems like all but one comment supported changing it to lifetime. Most (if not all) radio licenses are already lifetime. It reduces administrative burden and cost to both hams and the governing agencies. Changes in status are already required to be filed. It's more likely someone will forget to renew (it is 10 years to track, remember, and worry about), than someone will die, and someone else will fraudulently begin using their call sign. That's already not allowed, and someone could improperly do that now.

The only unsettled question to me at this time, is how to recycle 'vanity' call signs, if a person doesn't file that they no longer need it, or pass away. A possible solution, that is much simpler and cheaper could be that if a person believes a call sign (vanity), that they want is no longer in use (like 10 years not in use), they can simply contact the registered holder (or their family, or government), and ask that it be released and reissued. This way it takes the burden off ever licensed ham operator to do something every 10 years, and puts a minimal burden only on those that have found an unused and popular vanity call sign.

You seriously need to get your dang'd license. STop making excuses and transmit! :lol2:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...What other radio license is lifetime?...
    MROL
    GROL
    Radar Endorsement to GROL
    GMDSS Operator
    GMDSS Repairer

I would agree with requiring renewal periods for amateur radio because of the SK, address change, interest level and call sign pool perspectives. By definition, an amateur radio operator is engaged in a hobby, which for many people interest can come and go as with any other hobby.

Commercial licenses typically imply a professional involvement and a presumably deeper commitment, plus the call sign/ID is two letters denoting type and an eight decimal ID. Mine are relatively recent and both GROL and GMDSS still have three leading zeros, so there really isn't a shortage of available commercial numbers.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    The only radio license I can think of that is lifetime is GROL, which is what the petitioner mentions. The GROL doesn't have a callsign attached, though. It's more like a driver's license than a ham license. All others, whether commercial broadcast, business LMR, or GMRS have a limited term. What other radio license is lifetime? (CB and FRS are unlicensed, do those count?)

Coming up with a complicated scheme for testing the existence of a licensee is much more burdensome than the current system, which is almost entirely automated or run by volunteers.

Frankly, given the problems I've had with SKs as a card sorter for the QSL bureau and as a traffic handler, I'd much rather have the license term shortened to 5 years.

Yeah, the GROL went lifetime not long after I let mine expire. Doh!

Now studying to get a new one with radar after all these years. Part of my retirement plan for part time work down on the docks.

Sent from Foxtrot-Mike 19

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    It would seem like a simple solution would be that you lose your callsign after 10 years (or whatever) if you do nothing, and have to apply for another without retesting. New callsigns can usually be generated in a day or two from what I've seen. Maybe even faster for this process since the only check that's needed is to see it the person exists in the system.

Agreed. Unused calls need returned to the pool. Especially those 1x1, 1x2s. ...

Sent from Foxtrot-Mike 19

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I got some great signal reports on my new 2M radio yesterday. Farthest out is 37 mi repeater. Said I sounded great. He was a very patient older man who also gave me some tips on how to hold the mic and talk better for better reception.

I also jumped on Echolink for the first time. I randomly selected a UK node. Had a great discussion with the UK chap and another guy from Kentucky. Very welcoming. It was nice to have an HF style rag chew with just my tech license. I could do more of that.

Maybe we could start a regular MDS Echolink net?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    alot of the younger than 60(no offense older hams) are into digital so you can do alot with your pc as well.

Sorry to break this to you Sonny, but hams older than your parents are/were into digital. As a matter of fact you couldn't get licensed before without using digital. As a matter of fact, the first means to modulate a transmitter was digital.

Young punks.

And stay off my lawn!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Are these lifetime too: aeronautical, maritime, and international fixed public radio services

I read in the submissions for lifetime that aviation license are already.

After 10 years, nothing is automatic, someone has to manually revoke a persons license if they do not renew. Easiest course of action is also the cheapest for everyone; do nothing, no expiration like in Canada. The trend is to go to open ended, lifetime licenses, so my guess is this will pass. I hate having to carry a card, paying fees, having to renew, jumping through hoops; so lifetime is good by me. Having read the arguments it makes sense why people are pushing for lifetime licenses.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I return to my original point. I don't care if we want to honor the privilege for life, but because call signs are a finite resource (and short ones are in high demand), that "lifetime" license affects others. It's already in effect a lifetime license because you don't have to pay or retest to renew, but we have to confirm that the call sign is still in use on a periodic basis.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I return to my original point. I don't care if we want to honor the privilege for life, but because call signs are a finite resource (and short ones are in high demand), that "lifetime" license affects others. It's already in effect a lifetime license because you don't have to pay or retest to renew, but we have to confirm that the call sign is still in use on a periodic basis.

Yep, understood, and this is discussed in the statements already submitted; and I've already made a recommendation on how to address that small issue.

Instead of having every single person re-register every 10 years, just have those that have a change to their registration submit an update, like they are already supposed to do; i.e. when they pass away, or are no longer involved in HAM radio. But what if they don't de-register? Then if you want a 'vanity' callsign that you know hasn't been used in many years, then you can either initiate a request to the original call-sign owner or to the FCC and ask to have it re-issued. This is basically how its done now, so I've heard.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just stating (mostly from what I've read others say) why I think it's a good idea to drop the 10 year re-registration; looking like it will pass anyhow.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    Bands were open today.

My 100watts and a windom wire performing nicely. I made 47 contacts in 13 countries, although they were fast and furious for the DX QSO contest.

I've been trying to catch some NPOTA activators, without much luck.

Then I had to hang up and work on a couple of honey-do items.

20m2.jpg

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    First contact from Korea to MD:

Anyone know W3LPL in Glenwood? We had a contact on 15 in the first day of the contest.

HL1ZIX

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Bands were open today.

My 100watts and a windom wire performing nicely. I made 47 contacts in 13 countries, although they were fast and furious for the DX QSO contest.

I've been trying to catch some NPOTA activators, without much luck.

Then I had to hang up and work on a couple of honey-do items.

20m2.jpg

Your not kidding it was open, open all weekend.

I worked Hawaii, Argentina, Bulgaria on 10 Meters with my homebrew trap dipole in my attic. Worked Norway, Slovenia and Poland on 12 Meters when I wanted to get away from all the contesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom